Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel Engine???
Bob da builder

posted on 17/8/04 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Diesel Engine???

Hey up

well after the harrogate show i have fallen in love with the `www.triumphspitfire6.com`. ita a GRP shell based on the le mans GT6 and i WANT 1!! i have been thinking of selling my locost and 1275 itilian job mini and having one more `practical` car which is more professional than a mini!!

my thourght is that a new diesel engine may be a good option for economy and performance (must be quiet, a classis with a diesel sound will be crap!!). any ideas what will mate up to a RWD with ease?? a zetec is a possiability, ford do a mondeo with a diesel so it it basically the same a the petrol, ie onto MT75 box??

im a novice to all of this `modern technology`as im in to x-flows and A series motors!

hopw would a 130bhp VW diesel go in??? any suggestions will be good!!

cheers bob

stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/8/04 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
many diesels have lots of plastic crap added over the engine to reduce the diesel noise.

in my diesel 320 beemer you wouldnt know it was a diesel inside. However, if you open a window there is a characteristic diesel noise, its just muffled from you internally.

the beemer diesel is acknowleged as the best on the market right now.

its strange how people see diesels as something worse than a petrol. there are some crappy petrol engines out there that a decent modern diesel more than pi$$es over.

Someone at work has an accord diesel, and again, you wouldnt know inside the car.

I think an open top (if it is open top) car would still have the 'diesel sound experience '.

atb

steve

[Edited on 17/8/04 by stephen_gusterson]

phelpsa

posted on 17/8/04 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Go for the VW Tdi 1.9, all the winners in the german hot hatch championship are using these in golfs, 250bhp and 250lbft of torque (these tuned engines use huge turbos). Don't know about a RWD 'box.

With our Volvo V70 D5 the only way you would know it was a diesel inside is the average MPG saying 45mpg.

Adam

[Edited on 17/8/04 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marktigere1

posted on 17/8/04 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Go for it!!

Get a veg oil conversion and run it on waste veg oil!!! (Paying the fuel tax duty of course)

You could then drive for as long as you like stopping ocasionally at supermarkets and filling up with crisp and dry

As im at the chassis stage I keep thinking about what engine to drop in. By the time I finish the car fuel may be £2 a litre and I may have no choice but fit a diesel. The BMW looks like an option.

Cheers

Mark

PS. My Nissan Diesel runs on BioDiesel which is treated waste veg oil.

If a bolt is stuck force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!!!
(My Dad 1991)

marktigere1

posted on 17/8/04 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
PS. The TAX is paid on my Bio fuel if anyone wants to know. You never know who may be reading this

(My Dad 1991)

N*E*R*D

posted on 17/8/04 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I have had good experiences with Citroen diesel and for some unknown reason like the Picasso (I’m bloody 21).
Any way Citroen diesel engines are all good in my view and turn up in a few other manufactures cars.
Or if you are in the market for a mondao why not buy a diesel Jaguar for the same price (I quite like them much nicer than the Ford alternative).

"Good Bad I'm the guy with the gun"

I love speed :-P

posted on 17/8/04 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by N*E*R*D
Or if you are in the market for a mondao why not buy a diesel Jaguar for the same price (I quite like them much nicer than the Ford alternative).

they are the same thing anyway

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackie

posted on 17/8/04 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't it really have a straight six in it?
You could get a 2600 out on an SD1 and rebuild that. I believe they were detuned in that car because they matched the 3.5 V8 for power so should be nicely pokey with decent economy.
The price of getting and fitting a modern diesel would be high I'd think so you'd have to wait a long time to see a return.

mackie

posted on 17/8/04 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'd rather have the mondeo I think. Nicer interior, nicer looking (although almost a bit too simple) and just as good to drive. To me the X-Type just looks like a squashed XJ. The XJ is gorgeous because it's long, slow and sleak, the X just isn't.

I drove my boss's 3l X-Type and didn't rate it at all. For me a Jaguar should be all about low down torque and waftability and it just didn't have that. Plenty of power once you revved the tits off it though.
However it was a manual and all the mags seem to think that the best combinations are 3.0l and auto and 2.5l and manual.

Dunno why I just wrote all that, I guess I just had to state my opinion

I love speed :-P

posted on 17/8/04 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
300th

quote:
Originally posted by Bob da builder
Hey up

well after the harrogate show i have fallen in love with the `www.triumphspitfire6.com`. ita a GRP shell based on the le mans GT6 and i WANT 1!!

does any1 have any pics, cus the website isnt working for me

Thanks very much Philip

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/8/04 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
the diesel x type is 20k - surely a mondeo is less than that....?

btw - its only a w^&ky 128hp anyways.....

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by I love speed :-P
quote:

they are the same thing anyway

Bob da builder

posted on 17/8/04 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
hey up

i agree the a straight 6 will be sweet, and that engine note.... at the moment this is all in my head cos the locost has only been on the raod 6weeks, gota abuse it before i sell it!!!
the point of the diesle is 400kg car and poss stupid mpg... 80+ with the right engine??

have a look on my pics for the GT6

later

bob

stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/8/04 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
diesels are not always economical.

my last car was a petrol bmw 318i W reg with 118 hp. it did approx 36 mpg on the 32 miles I go to work, and approx 42 on a long run.

compare with :

the current is a 320d with 150hp. its quoted by bmw to be around 50mpg. however, i get 38-39 mpg to work, and approx 45 on a run.

so, its not balistically better, but do get approx 10% better mpg and 25% approx more power. However, I dont pay for fuel anyway, I have a diesel for co car tax reasons.

atb

steve

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/8/04 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marktigere1
Go for it!!

I keep thinking about what engine to drop in. By the time I finish the car fuel may be £2 a litre and I may have no choice but fit a diesel.

All the better reason to go BEC!

marktigere1

posted on 17/8/04 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Funny that because I've just been looking at the Honda st1100 posts. Quite like the idea of a V4 with twin exhausts.

Prices seem to range from £300-£600. Is this reasonable if it includes clocks?

Cheers

Mark

(My Dad 1991)

locoboy

posted on 17/8/04 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
sounds reasonable but beware they are a very tall engine.

Also be aware that you will need to spend twice as much on exhausts taking the engine and exhaust spend anywhere up to £1200 + filters, jetting, sprocket adaptor, possibe sump chop to allow lowering the engine, so could very well work out more than a well priced tried and tested blade, ZX9 engine set up.

on the + side ST are doing a supercharger for them IIRC

ATB
Locoboy

marktigere1

posted on 17/8/04 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote

(My Dad 1991)

stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/8/04 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
world's firs diesel bike, or a thread hijack?

not that i'd ever do that you understand

atb

steve

Peteff

posted on 17/8/04 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Seen loads of Enfields converted to diesel engines, they are made in India. The Pan Euro engine is inline so it suits a car and it's shaft drive so the job's already half done for you. The height with filters is the only real drawback.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

phelpsa

posted on 18/8/04 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
How about this diesel?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9883&item=2486781464&rd=1

Adam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.