Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EFI fuel pump, a quieter one
Craigorypeck

posted on 15/1/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
EFI fuel pump, a quieter one

I have a blue 038 3 bar 135 L/Hr pump, its so loud you can hear it at idle, thats with a single box exhaust and supercharger going too.. Q is do any of you have experience with a quiet(er) pump?
Thanks

austin man

posted on 15/1/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
have you mounted it direct to the chasis if so consider mounting it on rubber bobbins a lot of the noise travels through the chasis

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Craigorypeck

posted on 15/1/12 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
its held on with clamps that have rubber in between the clamp and pump casing
MikeRJ

posted on 16/1/12 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craigorypeck
its held on with clamps that have rubber in between the clamp and pump casing

That's not really enough. On production cars these pumps were mounted on soft rubber "cotton reel" type mounts.

Any external pump is going to be relatively noisy in a Locost (compared to a production car) though.

Craigorypeck

posted on 16/1/12 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking that since i posted the reply, I ordered some 6mm thick closed cell foam sheets on ebay, gonna role the pump up in that twice, should work? how hot do pumps get tho..? I might just wrap where the clamps are if it was gonna cause a prob...?
jimgiblett

posted on 16/1/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
My experience of Bosch pumps it that they get hot if enclosed (too hot to touch) . But they also get much noisier when they get hot.

- Jim

loggyboy

posted on 16/1/12 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
These would help:
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Cotton_Reel_Rubber_Mount_20mm_Dia_x_15mm_COT1

rachaeljf

posted on 16/1/12 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
They are supposed to be cooled by the fuel running through them so it shouldn't be a problem wrapping them, although I have never completely wrapped a pump to insulate the sound. "Too hot to touch" is around 60 degrees C, which isn't really that hot for most machines, so touch temperature is not a good indicator unless you know that normally you would be able to touch the offending item.

Other things to check:
If the inlet is in any way restricted the pump will get noisy.
Liquids transfer sound quite well, so the "buzz" can emanate from any rigid fuel pipe near the pump that touches the chassis.

Cheers R

[Edited on 16/1/12 by rachaeljf]

jimgiblett

posted on 16/1/12 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rachaeljf
They are supposed to be cooled by the fuel running through them so it shouldn't be a problem wrapping them, although I have never completely wrapped a pump to insulate the sound. "Too hot to touch" is around 60 degrees C, which isn't really that hot for most machines, so touch temperature is not a good indicator unless you know that normally you would be able to touch the offending item.

My comment was more about the increased noise (which the OP was commenting on) that bosch pumps emit when they get warm. Wrapping it up more than just to reduce vibration may be counter productive if it makes the pump run hotter.

Also where is it located (I have seen fuel pumps in hot engine bays)?

If you can get it behind the driver (possibly under the tank in cool airflow then it should reduce noise (or at least make it less audible to the driver and passenger when driving along).

- Jim

blakep82

posted on 16/1/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
i used these
eBay Item

i've got a facet pump, but i guess yours can mount with something similar?

[Edited on 16/1/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rachaeljf

posted on 16/1/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough I agree with you Jim, I have never considered completely wrapping a pump to quieten it. They are supposed to be fuel cooled, but I would prefer not to invite disaster!

One should look at where car makers put their external pumps - out the back away from passengers, close to the tank to minimise suction head too. All helps to keep the pump and people happy and quiet.

Craigorypeck

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Its in the engine bay, low down on the chassis rail,

I've seen these -

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p14899/SOUND-SLEEVE-FOR-WALBRO-&-SYTEC-PUMPS-&-INJECTION-FILTERS/product_info.html

They incase the entire pump so maybe it will be ok?

I have 2 clamps like these,
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
with the tension bolt removed and replaced with a far longer threaded bar which goes through the chassis rail.
I'll just wrap the pump in the 2 places directly under the clamps, bit of adhesive to hold rubber foam in place, only 1/3 of pump will be covered..

If its still being a bollock I'll make up something that uses the bobbins. pump has no mounting flanges btw.

Thanks!

BaileyPerformance

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craigorypeck
I have a blue 038 3 bar 135 L/Hr pump, its so loud you can hear it at idle, thats with a single box exhaust and supercharger going too.. Q is do any of you have experience with a quiet(er) pump?
Thanks

Hello,

What size is the feed pipe to the pump from the tank? - could be cavitating - does it get warm?
Are you sure its a Bosch pump not a Chinese copy?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Craigorypeck

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Its 8mm id pipe from tank to pump.

I haven't checked if it gets warm.. yet

Could be a chinese job tbh

here tis- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370361374745&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:1123

rachaeljf

posted on 16/1/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, that's a bit small I reckon. Should be 12 mm in and 8 mm out. That coupled with the extra pipe run from the tank you are strangling the poor thing!
Craigorypeck

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
the pumps is as low as the bottom of the tank so will be gravity fed too to some extent.

My drawing board gets re-visited way too often!!!

Any suggestions to a pump that would handle the current location?

rachaeljf

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
You might be ok just making the feed pipe 12 mm. How far is it actually from the tank?

Craigorypeck

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
approx 3 metres from sender to pump..
rachaeljf

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
But it's all at low level? Try going to 12 mm pipe as your first go, might be ok.
Craigorypeck

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
yes, near horizontal to the base of tank
rachaeljf

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I suggest you try 12 mm hose, that might be enough to let your pump run properly.

Cheers R

BaileyPerformance

posted on 17/1/12 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rachaeljf
Hmmm, that's a bit small I reckon. Should be 12 mm in and 8 mm out. That coupled with the extra pipe run from the tank you are strangling the poor thing!

Agreed!

You must use 12mm or bigger pipe to feed the pump, and keep the feed pipe as short as poss.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.