Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis number
Dave Bailey

posted on 16/1/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis number

Hi all,
I am doing the last bits getting ready for iva. My chassis is an early luego one without an assigned chassis number. I need to make one so that I can get insurance to drive the car to an mot station locally so that I can check immissions and brake performance then drive to iva.

What format should I use for the number plus anyone recommend the best place to get the plate?

I have a v5 for the sierra donar and I did an engine change on the paperwork to the st170 engine I have. I want to either get an age related or new reg any tips how to avoid a Q?

Thanks
Dave B

Irony

posted on 16/1/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I am in exactly the same position with my Luego Chassis. I literally have nothing in regards to chassis identification or anything. I will be watching this thread with interest.

Why do people feel the need to avoid a Q-plate?

loggyboy

posted on 16/1/12 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey
I have a v5 for the sierra donar and I did an engine change on the paperwork to the st170 engine I have. I want to either get an age related or new reg any tips how to avoid a Q?

Thanks
Dave B

If you are using a donor you will have no chance of a new reg as all the parts are used!

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Why do people feel the need to avoid a Q-plate?

For me, its because im spending lots of money and want my new car to look new to everyone else too!

RichardK

posted on 16/1/12 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Write to the dvla and ask them To issue you a vin

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hector

posted on 16/1/12 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
When i built my Viento I made my own number up and sent a letter to DVLAasking them if it was sufficient. They sent a reply saying it was OK so i stamped a plate with the number on it and then welded it to that chassis and that wasa fine for SVA!!
If you dont have the donor V5 then it will be a q plate unfortunately.

cheers Colin

HomersDouble

posted on 16/1/12 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
As you are in Portsmouth take a trip to the DVLA office and ask for one as I did just before Christmas.
They won't give you one but send you away with some forms instead - Built Up Vehicle Report form V627/1 & 1st Registration Application V55/5. Fill out as much as you can on V627/1 and the few boxes that you can on V55/5 (Manuf., Body type, Wheelplan, Type fuel & cc). Go back to the office armed with these (and lots of pics if possible) and ask them again for a number but be prepared for a completely different process and set of illogical hoops to jump through!

Good luck ...........

big_wasa

posted on 16/1/12 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I sent a letter to the local dvla saying I was building a kitcar and could I have a chassis number please.

Three weeks letter I vin number and covering letter.
Job done. Less hassle than inventing one and then playing tennis.

pif

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I made one up and put it on the SVA app form and it was fine. Just combi of numbers and letters, cant remember how many etc now.

I stamped it on frame and stamped it ona rivetted on plate in engine bay.

It was a meaningful combi, not random.

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

Snuggs

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK you can't legally drive to an MOT station before the IVA test.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

designer

posted on 16/1/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Right hand column, nine down.

http://www.shedworks.eu/hints.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Right hand column, nine down.

http://www.shedworks.eu/hints.html

Spot on!
Time this and the can I drive to IVA wrer stickied

[Edited on 16/1/12 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Dave Bailey

posted on 17/1/12 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all.... The letter was particularly of interest..... What a coincidence that your name is Locoster... What odds would you get on that? :-)

Dave B

stevegough

posted on 22/1/12 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi all,
I am doing the last bits getting ready for iva. My chassis is an early luego one without an assigned chassis number. I need to make one so that I can get insurance to drive the car to an mot station locally so that I can check immissions and brake performance then drive to iva.

What format should I use for the number plus anyone recommend the best place to get the plate?

Thanks
Dave B

OK, this has come up SO many times before....

Firstly - don't MOT it. Once you MOT it, you are 'in the system' and you will need to MOT it every year. Your car, once IVA'd is classed as a 'new' car (regardless of reg) and you won't need to MOT it for 3 years! - Don't believe me? - do a search on here for previous discussions.

Secondly - VIN no - pretty much coverered by others, but I'll just add my tenpenneth - I wrote to Ben at Luego as I had a 'Locost' chassis from the 'good old' Luego days. He gave me a VIN no - LUEG0L0C0ST2**2** - not letter 'O' s - use zeros. He also supplied me with a manufacturer's VIN plate for a 'mere' £25. Now, if you take that VIN and add some random digits where I've put the asterisks, you can't really go wrong.

Thirdly - to get an age-related plate you need to prove identity + reciepts for all the major parts - ie chassis, engine, transmission, axles, steering. If you have a reciept for the Sierra, that counts for most of it. Reciept and V5 for the ST170 donor would be good (I did this for my Vauxhall Redtop engine I put in. The V5 was just a photocopy, and it isn't really needed, but it helped to prove the engine's age for the emission test). The biggest problem I had was I did't have a reciept for the chassis (I had bought an older, but 'unstarted' kit off ebay). A couple of LCB guys helped me here, they provided me with a reciept - which was accepted by the DVLA.
I got an age-related plate - Result!

Hope this helps - and if you are worried about emissions - you can still take it for an emissions - only check?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Dave Bailey

posted on 23/1/12 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi!,
I have a friend who has an MOT station and I wanted to get it there to do an emission test and set the lights and the brakes up before I pin the bias bar.... Thanks for the advice though of not getting it on the system....

I have a V5 for the domor and the V5 reflects the number of the ST170 engine.. I did an engine paperwork change before the car was scrapped... I don't have a receipt for the donor it was 'given' to me... so I may be stumped there...

I too bought an unstarted kit from ebay but I do have the original reciept from Luego plus I have the receipt from the guy I bought it from...

Ref the Vin number.. I mailed the DVLA nd they told me to write to the nearest DVLA office which is Portsmouth to get a number issued.. This seems to be what others have done... I may be doing Ben and injustice but I just expected it to be difficult to get hold of anyone at Luego especially as I was after something for nothing!!!

What do you think? Do I have a chance of an age related plate?

Dave B

stevegough

posted on 23/1/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi!,
I have a friend who has an MOT station and I wanted to get it there to do an emission test and set the lights and the brakes up before I pin the bias bar.... Thanks for the advice though of not getting it on the system....

I have a V5 for the domor and the V5 reflects the number of the ST170 engine.. I did an engine paperwork change before the car was scrapped... I don't have a receipt for the donor it was 'given' to me... so I may be stumped there...

I too bought an unstarted kit from ebay but I do have the original reciept from Luego plus I have the receipt from the guy I bought it from...

Ref the Vin number.. I mailed the DVLA nd they told me to write to the nearest DVLA office which is Portsmouth to get a number issued.. This seems to be what others have done... I may be doing Ben and injustice but I just expected it to be difficult to get hold of anyone at Luego especially as I was after something for nothing!!!

What do you think? Do I have a chance of an age related plate?

Dave B

Sounds to me like you are heading the right way, Dave. The recieipt I had for the sierra was just a hand - written one from the guy I bought it off. If the sierra has also been the 'donor' for the ST170 engine.... then that covers pretty much all they need. Ben at Luego occasionally posts on LCB - his user name is [ ben lord ] - he is still trading, see this.....link thread.

Luego Locost C20XE.

Nash

posted on 23/1/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you have the V5 and the main components are from the donor (brakes, gearbox, diff, engine) not sure how you could validate the non serial numbered items, then you can get an Age Related plate. On mine the engine wasn't part of the donor but everything else was and I got an Age Related Plate. The V5 for the donor was transferred to my name before the car was scapped although the DVLA will do this for you retrospectively if need be.

HTH's................... Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

rodgling

posted on 23/1/12 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I did MOT my car before IVA, and agreed, you will have to MOT it every year (so that's three extra MOTs you could avoid by not MOTing it).

HOWEVER, it is a good opportunity to get a legal (I obtained written confirmation from VOSA that it is legal) test drive in before IVA and to get an outsider to check over the car - not to mention checking emissions which isn't really something you can do yourself. If it fails emissions, better to find out at a £50 MOT than a £450 IVA.

So it really comes down to whether you think you need the test drive, emissions testing and extra checks that an MOT will get you, and whether that's worth the £150+ extra it will cost.

Dave Bailey

posted on 30/1/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well 10 days later and I have had a chassis number allocated by the Portsmouth DVLA office... They have sent a form with the number on it... I need to stamp the number in the chassis then get a garage to sign the form and I have to return it...

Has anyone stamped the number in the front of the chassis where the rack is mounted? The steering rack is mounted to a plate rather than try to stamp the box section......

thanks
Dave B

Dave Bailey

posted on 30/1/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone used this chassis plate?

Sorry it's a bit small.....

Dave B

Dave Bailey

posted on 30/1/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just reading the IVA manual and it states that the VIN number should be securely attached... I though the number had to be welded to the chassis or stamped however the manual states bolted or riveted.

Dave B.

rusty nuts

posted on 30/1/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about where it needs to go for IVA but if it's OK the top diff mounting plate is pretty solid
stevegough

posted on 31/1/12 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
one of my fail points on my IVA - I had stamped the box section under the nose cone as I had no chassis visible under the bonnet on the right hand side. The examiner said it was a fail because it couldn't be readily seen by removing the bonnet. I ended up cutting an oblong out of the ally cladding which was above my pedal box, then stamping the number on the chassis member there. I also have a plate similar to yours (but with the Luego Logo) riveted to the scuttle.

In addition to the plate, you will also need to put a VIN on a chassis ( or other non-removable part ) as stated in the manual:

1. The vehicle must be fitted with a manufacturer’s plate, in a conspicuous and readily accessible position.
2. The manufacturer’s plate must be made of a durable material.
3. The manufacturer’s plate must be indelibly marked with the manufacturer’s name and the vehicle identification number.
4. The manufacturer’s plate must be fitted to a part of the vehicle that will not be replaced through normal use.
5. The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other similar structure which is not easily removable, on the right hand side of the vehicle. (see note 3,5 & 6)
6. The Stamped in VIN must be placed in a clearly visible and accessible position by a method such as stamping, etching (metal chassis) or embossed, moulded into the structure (glass fibre or carbon fibre chassis) so that it can not be obliterated or deteriorate.
7. The VIN number must consist of 17 digits (except for mass-produced vehicles see note 4)
8. The information must be shown in a single line. (in the case of a mass produced vehicle the use of two lines is permissible)

Luego Locost C20XE.

loggyboy

posted on 31/1/12 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
one of my fail points on my IVA - I had stamped the box section under the nose cone as I had no chassis visible under the bonnet on the right hand side. The examiner said it was a fail because it couldn't be readily seen by removing the bonnet. I ended up cutting an oblong out of the ally cladding which was above my pedal box, then stamping the number on the chassis member there. I also have a plate similar to yours (but with the Luego Logo) riveted to the scuttle.

In addition to the plate, you will also need to put a VIN on a chassis ( or other non-removable part ) as stated in the manual:

1. The vehicle must be fitted with a manufacturer’s plate, in a conspicuous and readily accessible position.
2. The manufacturer’s plate must be made of a durable material.
3. The manufacturer’s plate must be indelibly marked with the manufacturer’s name and the vehicle identification number.
4. The manufacturer’s plate must be fitted to a part of the vehicle that will not be replaced through normal use.
5. The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other similar structure which is not easily removable, on the right hand side of the vehicle. (see note 3,5 & 6)
6. The Stamped in VIN must be placed in a clearly visible and accessible position by a method such as stamping, etching (metal chassis) or embossed, moulded into the structure (glass fibre or carbon fibre chassis) so that it can not be obliterated or deteriorate.
7. The VIN number must consist of 17 digits (except for mass-produced vehicles see note 4)
8. The information must be shown in a single line. (in the case of a mass produced vehicle the use of two lines is permissible)

I think I would have 'argued' (for want of a better word) that the notes above state the plate should be conspicuous, but their is no points made in the above that stated the stamped VIN should be anywhere other than on the right and not reaily removable etc etc.

Dave Bailey

posted on 1/2/12 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys... Steve where did you get the Luego logo tag?

thanks
Dave B

pewe

posted on 1/2/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Having a Q plate isn't all bad news.
When it reaches MOT time in 3 years the tester can only test for smoke on start-up and no other emissions - ask me how I know!!!
HTH.
Cheers,Pewe10

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.