Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another dodgy email, more advice please
slingshot2000

posted on 17/1/12 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
Another dodgy email, more advice please

I know it is not my birthday, so should I believe the following email from HMRC?

Please download the document attached to this email to confirm your identity.

Note: You will need to provide a valid bank accoun in which the funds will be payed to.
A refund can be delayed for some reasons, for example submitting invalid records or applying after deadline.

Best Regards,
HM Revenue & Customs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not downloaded any attachments and will not do so untill I have an idea if this is legit!
£973.90 would be very nice, I could probably finish and IVA my westie if that droped in my lap. Ny thought welcome

Regards
Jon

blakep82

posted on 17/1/12 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
if they were going to gie you money (rather than give you a reduced rate of tax this year) then it would be by cheque, and they'd post a letter to you. its rubbish!

have you ever given your email to inland revenue?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Jon Ison

posted on 17/1/12 at 02:11 AM Reply With Quote
If the tax man owed you money he would write to you, do not even think of opening the attachments nor entering any details.
James

posted on 17/1/12 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
I know it is not my birthday, so should I believe the following email from HMRC?

Please download the document attached to this email to confirm your identity.

Note: You will need to provide a valid bank accoun in which the funds will be payed to.
A refund can be delayed for some reasons, for example submitting invalid records or applying after deadline.

Best Regards,
HM Revenue & Customs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not downloaded any attachments and will not do so untill I have an idea if this is legit!
£973.90 would be very nice, I could probably finish and IVA my westie if that droped in my lap. Ny thought welcome

Regards
Jon

Do you even need to ask?!

Firstly, do HMRC even know this mail address?

Then there's the tone of the letter. It's just so wrong: "calculation of your fiscal activity,", " GBP", "5-7 days" "payed to".

Then there's the:
3 spelling errors,
the missing words
the syntax errors
the grammar errors

File it under delete and forget it!

To quote from the film Ronin:
"when there is doubt, there is no doubt"

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

JonnyS

posted on 17/1/12 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
It's a standard scam email. They will NEVER email you other than to activate online accounts.
Ivan

posted on 17/1/12 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
One way of checking these emails is to move them to the "Junk Email" list in MS Access if that is what you are using - then you can see where all the links are leading you to - normally some obscure address that the purported sender would never use.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 17/1/12 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
One way of checking these emails is to move them to the "Junk Email" list in MS Access if that is what you are using - then you can see where all the links are leading you to - normally some obscure address that the purported sender would never use.

If you're using Hotmail you can also examine the email without even opening it, just right click on it and select the 'view message source' option. That shows you what addresses etc. are in the route and normally for the Spam stuff you'll see things like 'knob@morons.com' etc inside

If I had a fiver for every Junk email I got I'd be damn rich!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

T66

posted on 17/1/12 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Last one I got was a pretend Lloyds TSB one - looked very good with the logo on etc.

The link looked nearly right too, but the link directed you to a home shopping site in the USA which wasnt getting used anymore, and they clearly had access too. I got to this by right clicking the link, reading it then googling the website, and browsing it without using their link.

Only way I ever speak to a bank is when I ring them or I am standing in it, never believe any email as being bona fide.

Peteff

posted on 17/1/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Is your actual name anywhere in the email ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rb968

posted on 17/1/12 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
This is a well known phishing scam email. Ignore it and delete it.

As above they will not email you in such a way and without your details in the email.

See the HMRC site : http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

Rich

[Edited on 17/1/12 by rb968]

[Edited on 17/1/12 by rb968]

Benzine

posted on 17/1/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
the missing words

quote:
Originally posted by James
"when there is doubt, there is no doubt"

close...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 17/1/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
It's a scam, they always are. I have had my email at yahoo for 10 years and my SPAM section is literally overflowing with emails like this. If I open the spam folder and start adding up all the money I am supposedly owed it quickly reaches 50 million within 50 emails. I have had people wanting to marry me via email if I just send £1000 via western union - one guy in Africa claimed to be my long lost brother. He just need 600 dollars US to escape - to be sent via western union.

Delete it - forget it- don't worry about it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.