Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Working with PVC for Trailer Cover
andylancaster3000

posted on 30/1/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Working with PVC for Trailer Cover

I'm keen to have a go at making a soft cover for my trailer. The idea being a simple, low, light steel frame maybe with an angled front with soft roofand sides. Probably welded and laced together.

Having never done anything like this can anyone tell me how easy it is to work with the curtain side/PVC type material at a DIY level? I know it can be welded but does this need heavy grade heat guns. Can it easily be chemically welded together?

Also there seems to be a lot of material available. Eg for signs, bouncy castles, lorry curtain sides. What is best suited/cheapest? I'm looking to keep it as light as possible.

Any thoughts and advice appreciated.

Cheers
Andy

eddie99

posted on 30/1/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt convert mine but my one is trailer sides material. Apparently its the good value and easy to get hold of.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
designer

posted on 30/1/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you go too light there could be a problem with wear and tear.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 30/1/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Heat gun, moderate heat, you are just softening the PVC, NOT melting it. Then use a hard nylon roller to sandwich it together so it bonds.

Trucks use a fairly heavy 2x2 weave, but the lighter duty 1x1 cloth has a much lower weight per sp meter and this will be more than adequate for a home use trailer cover.

Only reason why you would use heavier cloth from an HGV would be its often easier to get free old curtains.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

dhutch

posted on 30/1/12 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Morning Andy!

I would imagine,although I dont know), that you would need special equipment to weld it with heat, although you may
chemically weld it, using heat to aid the forming? Otherwise I would be looking at suitable flexable adheasives.

Last set of banners i bought the turned over edge was just stuck with double sided tape, and the it eyelets put though at two foot interval. A year later it still stuck fine and if its yet to fail. Wuoldnt suggest it for your aplication, but it would hold things if you need it in place to weld, or stitch it or something.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.