Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike throttle bodies vs standard EFI
cps13

posted on 14/2/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Bike throttle bodies vs standard EFI

Hi

In the early stages of my build at the moment. I am building a 7ocost with a 1.8 zetec engine from a focus. I notice a lot of people use bike throttle bodies. Is this because the standard efi and manifolds will not fit or is it performance related?!

Could somebody please give me a brief idea of pros/cons of bike throttle bodies?

Cheers,

Chippy

posted on 14/2/12 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Main diference I think is that with the standar set up you can use the ECU from the car, with throttle bodies you would need an after market ECU, and because of this you should see improved power. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

coozer

posted on 14/2/12 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ease of installation for me, standard manifold was too big and the Ford ecu a pain to sort out.

Bike carbs and megajolt to start with was dead easy...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Bare

posted on 15/2/12 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps.. But most retrofitted individual TBs are poorly set up.
Typically these work great at WOT but poorly at every other opening.
If you will be driving with the throttles locked wide open.. all the time... then this is for you :-)
Do at least try the oem setup before adding to your headaches and the inevitable 'fettling hours' each weekend... forever

whitestu

posted on 15/2/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you will be driving with the throttles locked wide open.. all the time... then this is for you :-)
Do at least try the oem setup before adding to your headaches and the inevitable 'fettling hours' each weekend...

I've got bike carbs rather then TBs so can't comment directly, but my experience of bike carbs is totally opposite to the above view.

I have ZX6R carbs which have performed great and have basically been 'fit, set up and forget'. I've had cars with OEM efi that give more trouble!

Stu

Mday41

posted on 15/2/12 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'm at that stage now and have been advised not to use bike carbs until after iva as it is very difficult to pass the emissions test! I'm building a haynes roadster and using the same engine as u and the plenum does not fit so I'm in the middle of making 1 wich is not that hard tbh! With tb's the aftermarket ecu's are very expensive and to my knowledge a hard to get setup properly, if u have ecu key an transponder from the car I would use them as the ecu setup will be perfect and I've read somewhere it does re program itself to a certain extent! U just have to make the plenum!. I have a pic of 1 I'll upload for u.
[img][/img]

[Edited on 15/2/12 by Mday41]

m.day

rusty nuts

posted on 15/2/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Do at least try the oem setup before adding to your headaches and the inevitable 'fettling hours' each weekend... forever

Not in my experience! My xflow has a set of bike TBs with an Emerald ECU after very little setting up it was running well at all throttle openings, so well in Fact that when it was set up on Emeralds rolling road Dave Walker asked how I had set it up as the rpm/load sites I had done were very close

Chippy

posted on 15/2/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mday41
With tb's the aftermarket ecu's are very expensive and to my knowledge a hard to get setup properly[Edited on 15/2/12 by Mday41]

Megasquirt is not that expensive, and fairly easy to set up if you read the manual on the MS site. Then there is a couple of self tuning systems that work very well, (can't think of the names too late at night). HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.