Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi parts questions - anyone with experience
coyoteboy

posted on 22/2/12 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
Audi parts questions - anyone with experience

Wondering if there's any info anywhere about Audi driveshafts. I've got some A6 shafts from the C4 chassis and I want to use the C5 hub/bearing arrangement to bolt to my own upright (nice bolt-on/bolt-off solution) as the C4 arrangement is bearings in upright. Problem is I can't seem to find info on the shaft dimensions and identify if they'll fit or if I'll have to use the later model shafts to match. I think the gearbox end is identical on all of them so that shouldn't be a problem, just an extra cost I didn't need

Anyone in the know with Audi parts or have immediate access to them? I may end up buying a hub/bearing assy and just giving it a go but it's a waste of £35 if it fails.

chris-g

posted on 22/2/12 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a local GSF, Euro Car Parts or Audi dealer with a parts department then I would give them a try. They might have them in stock so you can examine them or they can get the details/diagrams up on the computer. Failing I would post the question on one of the Audi forums, there seems to be some knowledgeable people on them. If you can get hold of a copy of ETKA (VW/Audi parts software) or ELSAWin (VW/Audi service manual software) they could be useful. Good luck.
rachaeljf

posted on 22/2/12 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I think he's already asked on the Audi forums. Sadly one guy who might have been able to help passed away suddenly a couple of weeks ago (RIP Jon).

Driveshafts and bearings do tend to be standardised, but that doesn't help much. To make matters worse, there are different shaft sizes and hub arrangements within the C4 range.

Coyote, I have both C4 and C5 cars you are welcome to come and examine if that helps!

Cheers R

PS, is your mid engine monster Rorty based or your own design?

[Edited on 22/2/12 by rachaeljf]

coyoteboy

posted on 22/2/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Indeed I spotted the post about Jon as I was writing my request to folks, such a shame when a nice guy like that is lost.

Hmmm I didn't know there were different shaft sizes within the C4 range, the adverts I've seen for shafts suggest the same ones fit from the 1.8 petrol up to the 2.5TDI. That's going to confuse me.

I've been to my local ECP and they're not overly open to prospective requests like that - they're very much no-nonsense folks! I'd love to come and look but I suspect you'd dislike me stripping your hubs?

My middy will be fully scratch designed and built around the ABZ engine and 01E 6spd box. I've been putting together suspension basics but I'm trying to narrow down some of the standard parts I can use to keep some of the costs down. I'll be fabbing the uprights hence nice bolt-on C5 bearing housings will be a big benefit.

I'll see if I can find a copy of ETKA or ELSAWin but I suspect that might take some illegal digging!

[Edited on 22/2/12 by coyoteboy]

daviep

posted on 22/2/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Part numbers for the shafts are all different across the two ranges

However the wheel drive flange part# 4A0 407 615G is used on all models So that should be OK

Gearbox flanges come in 2 sizes 108mm and 130mm, both sizes are used on both models. So it looks like you have a 50/50 chance of having shafts which will do the job.

HTH

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

coyoteboy

posted on 22/2/12 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Daviep,

Thanks for that! I'm amazed they use the same flange on all models - that's pretty spectacularly good commonality for an OEM I've got the shafts off the box I have so I know that end fits, I just hope the length of the outboard that end fits through the bearings correctly is the same on both. If it's a bit longer I could fairly comfortably make a spacer I guess!

rachaeljf

posted on 22/2/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Good info from Daviep^^

Ach, too slow again.

You might find some dimensional info on the Chinese supplier sites, I often use Yiparts to look for modern bits to replace obsolete bits.

Slimy38

posted on 22/2/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to get hold of Audi part numbers, you can find the whole VAG range (up to 2005 ish) at www.vagcat.com. Sign up to the forums and you can get into the online parts catalogue, which is the equivalent of ETKA.

Bear in mind that the hosting isn't the best so it can sometimes be unreliable, but for VAG details it's difficult to beat.

coyoteboy

posted on 27/2/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
No dimensional info available that I can find unfortunately. Looks like I'm going to have to buy one and see if it fits, measure and go from there! There's some nice smaller ones on the A3s but they're no cheaper so barring a few hundred grammes it's not worth the unknown.

Cheers all

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.