Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2004 MK Indy Busa Project
sebastiaan

posted on 1/5/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Check the adjuster on the rack. You might need to knock up a "tool" from a piece of pipe to adjust it, but if that is loose, there will be significant lash between rack and pinion, causing exactly what you describe.

Or the rack could be worn.

Did you have work done on the rack recently (fitted a quick rack maybe?)

yellowcab

posted on 1/5/13 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers boss, we had no luck, we knocked up a 21mm allen key but it was tight tight, couldn't move it either way... as it had been peened into position in three places.

I'll probably end up getting a new pinion & rack to fit into it, not had it to bits since I've had the car, nor recently, so I guess its just worn! lol

Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/5/13 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Quick rack time!!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

yellowcab

posted on 1/5/13 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I think it already has one in, it's currently 2.5 turns lock to lock, which I believe is quick?

Something that I noticed whilst driving on the m1 cruising at say, 70mph, is when I let off throttle to decelerate, the car swerves to the left, almost the torque of the torqueless engine relaxing, an the weight distribution making a difference?

I think the camber settings that I have don't help straight line things, so in going to reduce the negative camber on each corner a touch

sebastiaan

posted on 1/5/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Something that I noticed whilst driving on the m1 cruising at say, 70mph, is when I let off throttle to decelerate, the car swerves to the left, almost the torque of the torqueless engine relaxing, an the weight distribution making a difference?

I think the camber settings that I have don't help straight line things, so in going to reduce the negative camber on each corner a touch

I'd leave the camber as it is now and make the front toe in a bit. That should aid straight line stability. I used to have 3 degs of negative camber on the front of my Indy without issues. But get the rack sorted first before experimenting with the alignment.

yellowcab

posted on 1/5/13 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Surprise surprise its back in bits again...

Just nipped down the garage to have a look at the pinion adjustment nut

Whipped the rack off

Bit of a struggle, but managed to undo the pinion adjustment nut

Bearing inside holds the pinion centralised, as the slipper spring holds the tension down onto the rack

No real signs of wear on the teeth of the pinion itself

Nor the rack innards...

So built it all back up again, and its made sod all difference - still loads of play, but only when there is load on it, ie: the car down on the floor... when in the air, it has no play

I'm thinking the bearing may be shot and needs replacing, as the pinion moves in and out slightly when you go lock to lock, which I'm pretty sure shouldn't happen...

yellowcab

posted on 2/5/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Problem solved...

Here's the breakdown, kinda difficult to explain.

Removed the rack again, removed the pinion adjuster sleeve, and the circlip and the bearing.

Then removed the plastic 21mm slipper nut, spring and slipper itself.

Not much wear on the Quaife item itself, but all the movement was from in between the bearing and the circlip. I thought when you tighten the pinion adjustment sleeve up that it'd clamp the bearing nice and tight, it doesn't.

Two ways to cure would be to get a thicker circlip, which would eliminate the play, but it already fills the groove nicely.

So we replaced the bearing just because we could, then put a shim in between the bearing and the circlip which removed all lateral movement.

We followed the Haynes manual in setting it up, but with it being shortened and new innards we took the process principle, but adjusted it by feel.

We put the rack in the car, and put all the steering back on the could adjust the 21mm slipper plug in situ whilst wobbling the steering wheel so there was next to no movement.

Obviously the tighter you go the more wear on the pinion and rack you will create, it also leads to a heavy steering car. So feels smoother with it loose, and less gratey but then there is movement.

I've jeopardised the smoothness of the lock to lock transition for a right rack, everyone loves a tight rack, right?

yellowcab

posted on 2/5/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've now over tightened the slipper slightly, as it no longer self centres, and it makes it incredibly heavy to turn whilst stationary.

That said - I would sooner drive it like this all day long than have the play... but I will be backing it off as much as I can before introducing play as Seb said above

Feel so planted and solid to drive now

Oh, another thing - laser alignment my arse, didn't think it felt quite right still, so did the tracking with a piece of string, and my drivers rear was toeing out quite a way, so we tracked it up the old fashion way - this also has made a massive improvement!

yellowcab

posted on 2/5/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
No reason whatsoever for these photos, other than the fact I bloody love driving the car in this weather

Brakes work OK...

[Edited on 2/5/13 by yellowcab]

HowardB

posted on 2/5/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well impressed!

It looks so good, and so different from the "taxi" that you started with

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

40inches

posted on 2/5/13 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Oh, another thing - laser alignment my arse, didn't think it felt quite right still, so did the tracking with a piece of string, and my drivers rear was toeing out quite a way, so we tracked it up the old fashion way - this also has made a massive improvement!

KwiK Fit not do a good job then What a surprise

yellowcab

posted on 2/5/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mr B.

I prefer the look of it now, and will be improved when I get to Stoneleigh on Sunday to pick up some 13" Pro Race 1.2s hopefully!!!

yellowcab

posted on 2/5/13 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Inches, to be fair to them - they let me do the jiggery pokery as I know the manager there, they literally put the gauges on for me - and left me to it... nothing beats a piece of string and 2 axel stands huh lol

40inches

posted on 2/5/13 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Mr Inches, to be fair to them - they let me do the jiggery pokery as I know the manager there, they literally put the gauges on for me - and left me to it... nothing beats a piece of string and 2 axel stands huh lol

Only thing better is a trip to Procomp

yellowcab

posted on 2/5/13 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've sent Matt a u2u enquiring about a setup a couple of times, to no avail...

yellowcab

posted on 2/5/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, another little something was to stop my car melting... some real carbon fibre riveted on should stop it, especially with a melting point of 3500 degrees lol

[Edited on 2/5/13 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 4/5/13 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
http://youtu.be/_E1ISDxNpJk

yellowcab

posted on 4/5/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
My Pre-Stoneleigh pics... if you recognise it, come and say 'Hi'

40inches

posted on 4/5/13 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Shame! I was going, but Wife No 3 reminded me that we are going to see Bill Bailey in the evening, and I have to pick up a borrowed trailor for IVA on Tuesday. Will catch up with you when the MK is road legal, any excuse for a blat

yellowcab

posted on 4/5/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly Dave, then I can drool over your custom made parts and give me ideas to stop me twiddling my thumbs!

See what I mean regarding my nose cone wrapping right under the chassis itself, rather than butting up to it...

Can you foresee this being a problem for what I'd like to do?

40inches

posted on 5/5/13 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
The hinge pivot needs to be just behind the bottom of the cone, if you use marine hinges with long legs you can bend them into an L shape. Or fix the hinge behind the front chassis tube, going down to the cone.

daveb666

posted on 21/5/13 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cracking working and photos as always Oliver.

Can't wait to meet up for a drive once mine is ready

Benzo

posted on 22/5/13 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Great plate! Did you buy it or was it just for the show?
knobby

posted on 27/5/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Great read... Just spent my Sunday evening reading your thread.

Very inspirational, always wanted a MK Indy, should be moving into a house with a double garage towards the end of the year so perhaps 2014/15 might bring one..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
yellowcab

posted on 15/6/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic day out with some great people at Mallory Park today

Car ran completely faultlessly - so a massive thanks to cosmick for his outstanding help getting the car back to the form it is.

A complete transformation from what it was like last year.

Here is a decent video from today, a tussle with a 205 which was great fun, I just didn't have the balls like him to take Gerrards any quicker on the traction I had...

[Edited on 15/6/13 by yellowcab]

<<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.