Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  30    31    32    33    34    35    36  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2004 MK Indy Busa Project
yellowcab

posted on 24/3/14 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly that, I've never hidden the fact my car has had it's problems before me lol

But I feel the car been stripped back so far that all previous problems have been ironed out and corrected by me last winter.

Of course I'll keep an eye out for hairlines appearing around, have a good poke around after each trackday, just go from there and be vigilant.

A mate has a 2011 built car which has already encountered fatigue cracks, so age isn't the only factor.

Obviously I wouldn't go on track if I thought at any point anything would fail as that wouldn't be cricket.

yellowcab

posted on 24/3/14 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Can't remember if I've posted these before before, but it's amazing how different a car can look…

Kawasaki Green
No roll cage
Big headlights
Standard side panels (not flared)
Green rear arches
Perspex screen
Overfuelling like a bitch
Leatherette seats and seat belts

Andy D

posted on 24/3/14 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is that the same car as your present yellow one? I used to see the green one regularly at Croft around 2005.
yellowcab

posted on 24/3/14 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - exactly the same car… just been wrapped in yellow with carbon wrapped rear arches, and all the rest of the changes

I bought it from Bedfordshire

Andy D

posted on 24/3/14 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just been through my vast collection of pics. It was at Croft in May, June, Aug and Sep 05, and then I think it had a new owner the next time I saw it in 07.

This was May 05

yellowcab

posted on 24/3/14 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Lovely positive camber in roll - thats GOT to be my car…!!! LOL

Would you mind fishing any others out? I see the black wheels used to be silver too

It was registered in September 2004, so I presume it was 'relatively' new back then lol

Mega impressed Andy!

Andy D

posted on 24/3/14 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you PM an address I'll mail you some, I've not much hosting space left. (They're all taken on a Fuji camera, so not huge)

21st Aug 05. My pal in the orange Megabusa in hot pursuit! He's still using the orange car now, more or less unchanged.

yellowcab

posted on 25/3/14 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
So popped down the garage last night to fit new manifold & rear can all went smoothly, but realised the original manifold had been slightly cut, so I can't chop & change cans quite as easily without moving the original cans rear bracket, which I'll do before Blyton.

Optimistic I know, but I still hope my new repack able can will be slightly quieter than my old Aprillia can… as long as its not physically louder, I'm happy.

30 inches instead of 20 inches…. but only 4.75inches diameter instead of 6inches

This genuine Westfield item seems to have a CAT at one end

Whipped off the end cap where the tail pipe is, and it seems rather packed, so I didn't bother messing around with it

You can see the end of the old manifold had been cut about an inch off it

Old setup weighed a total of 12.2kg

New setup weighs 8.3kg… saving 3.9kg… I believe this puts me around the 507kg

You can see the natural line of the Westfield items, the can gets further and further away from the bodywork, so I pushed it close and made a bracket in hope that the heat would allow the manifold to bend a little… but I've been told its more than likely going to crack

Bits of wood against the side of the trailer, meant I could get the box to run true down the side of the car

All done and dusted with nice shiny new clamp too, until it all discolours

Oh, and for those that have messaged me about the upright, here it is in situ, bit of a rubbish shadowy shot mind

40inches

posted on 25/3/14 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Bling! Where are my shades Ah! that's better
I think you would be better repacking the silencer with Acoustifill (sp) It looks a bit thin at the bottom right.
Shouldn't be any gaps really.
Did you remove the Cat?

yellowcab

posted on 25/3/14 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Dave

I didn't know the etiquette with packing, I heard you can overfill them which makes them louder like a straight through exhaust?
I guess that's not true?

If not Acoustifil, I presume loft insulation works too?

I left the CAT in , in hope it would also reduce the noise furthermore?

Please advise....

yellowcab

posted on 25/3/14 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Just checked the pic again, the gap on the very bottom right was a sticky putty that cap off with the end cap

The gap around the perforated pipe though I can see

40inches

posted on 25/3/14 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Acoustifil has to be the way, but not as much as they say in the calculator. Loft insulation will last a couple of minutes!
"Do it once and do it right"
I think I would leave the Cat in for the time being, a test drive will tell how restrictive it is/isn't. But if you take it out it will leave an expansion chamber, I good thing, or so I believe.

yellowcab

posted on 25/3/14 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Expansion chamber sounds noisy lol
jwhatley

posted on 25/3/14 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
New exhaust looks a load better, hope it will be quieter.

Regarding the Indy R chassis. Its a completely different rear end design.

There is far more triangulation on the rear especially around the pick ups. Plus the suspension pickup isn't connected to the top of the upright anymore, it is connected to the rear of the lower wishbone.

This changes the way the load comes through the rear upright. Id find it unlikely that the problem you have encountered with your indy chassis would happen on a R. Hence why Danny has probably never seen it on track.

What people forget about these chassis is that the indy was designed for an engine like a x-flow or pinto engine. Low power units, built for the road not the track. Not for high revving higher power output engines, which is probably why you have seen some failures. Pushing the design to its limit is the only real way you will find its weaknesses.

Anyway, better get on with mine so I turn up in it at Silverstone!

John

mjb199

posted on 28/3/14 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I see you've done a huge amount to improve your MK Indy. I wondered what camber, castor and toe you are running front and rear as judging by your track day videos you've got your Indy handling really well. Also of all the mods you've done which have improved the handling and stability the most?
yellowcab

posted on 28/3/14 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi pal - thanks for the reply.

My geometry was all setup by Mat Gilmore @ ProComp over in Birmingham.

Front:
> Camber: -2.0 degrees
> Castor: 4.5 degrees
> Tracking: 1.4mm toe in (at rims)

Rear:
> Tracking: 2.0mm toe in (at rims)

By a clear mile, the best 'modification' I've done to get it handling the way it is, is the above.

The setup by the guys at ProComp, without a shadow of a doubt. Best money spent.

mjb199

posted on 28/3/14 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated
40inches

posted on 28/3/14 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Hi pal - thanks for the reply.

My geometry was all setup by Mat Gilmore @ ProComp over in Birmingham.

Front:
> Castor: 4.5 degrees
> Tracking: 1.4mm toe in (at rims)

Rear:
> Tracking: 2.0mm toe in (at rims)

By a clear mile, the best 'modification' I've done to get it handling the way it is, is the above.

The setup by the guys at ProComp, without a shadow of a doubt. Best money spent.

I am going to reinforce the rear uprights and lift the upper wishbones, as you have done So this will be my starting settings. Ta
As a matter of interest, what ride height are you running Olly?
Do you run the same settings on slicks?

[Edited on 28-3-14 by 40inches]

yellowcab

posted on 28/3/14 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Wahhooo - another converted customer

Yes - I don't mess with the settings regardless of tyres, nor wet/dry, nor passenger or flying solo

yellowcab

posted on 28/3/14 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dave - not to clutter up the Silverstone thread - when do you want me to do some bench presses with your axel etc?
40inches

posted on 28/3/14 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Will text tomorrow Olz.

yellowcab

posted on 28/3/14 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just for those readers out there, I attended Blyton today as a part of the PPC day organised by Frank, here is my view on today:

Firstly, a hooooooooge thanks to Frank for organising it, and inviting us all to join in such a fantastic day.

From start to finish, nothing but good atmosphere in the Paddock, fantastic etiquette on track, good times, great slides, lots of laughs and even better (adithorp) tank slapper.

Really enjoyed the warm welcome considering I'm a newbie to this event - already looking forward to the next outing.

Great meeting new faces, putting names & usernames to them… sorry Ian, I just couldn't call you 'Oddified' in real life, felt strange.

I'll be putting my photos in here, along with my video footage. Yes Adi, including the last tussle between Jon Ison, You & I.

May I just announce, I hearby declare this is the first track day since kit car ownership started in 2012, that my car has come home, running, working, all wheels pointing the correct direction ever. Very happy Olly.

Looking forward to seeing other peoples footage, and reading their take on (what I thought) was a fantastic day.

Cheers all

PS: this update was brought to you by 7 espressos, 2 litres of Redbull, 5 ProPlus, 2 Twix bars, and a Jacket Potatoe @ Lunch (cheers Steve!)…. I was dying of manflu 24 hours ago!

What I learned from this set of photos… no positive camber in roll - yeeeeehaaaaaa and my front brakes work

OK so here are some screen grabs from my GoPro footage for now - kinda sums up the day… tried to capture as many LCBers as possible, but never seem to be out at the same time as Daniel Mason or laptoprob

Trying to brake, and turn using these guys in front of you just simply doesn't work

As above… this blue cone is just a figment of your

OK no its not

Andrew in his s2000 Kitten, I marked him for a few laps to get some decent footage

rdodger in his Thruxton

Is this the way to Amerillo?

This is what warp speed looks like in the IsonBusa, there are 15 cars in this photo, but we're going so quick you cannae see em

Behind laptoprobs mate Graham in his C20LET

Mr Jon Ison himself

Precision driving, didn't even touch the cone (this time)

And the finalé goes to adithorp (tank slapper trophy winner), who didn't really know which way he wanted to go… I was travelling at 115mph on the first screen shot… and the rest are in sequence

DavidW

posted on 29/3/14 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Impressive breaking in the last few!

Count me in for next year, it looks like proper fun.

David

yellowcab

posted on 29/3/14 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Looking forward to rendering the videos!
yellowcab

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
My first video rendered & uploaded, takes bloody forever in 1080p HD…

Nothing really ground breaking, this is just me marking/ following Grayme Lidster (laptoprobs mate) in his Tiger 2.0 16v Turbo C20LET (blue one), and in front of him, is a Tiger 1800 Zetec I think… before I get by

Full screen, speakers on, change quality to 1080p HD

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0t23uHiSw&list=UUCpP5dFARRhF0vlmAKtEF4A

<<  30    31    32    33    34    35    36  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.