Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Doing CV boots properly?
ChrisW

posted on 5/3/12 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Doing CV boots properly?

When securing a CV boot I usually just put a long cable tie on it, as I'm sure a lot of DIY mechanics do, but that's obviously not a very professional way of doing things.

So, what's the proper way?

Looking at eBay, there seems to be two types of tools. A 'windy' one and another type that looks like a pair of long pliers. Is one better than the other or are both needed?

Note that my normal use will be reassembling using an old CV boot (eg if I've taken it apart for a fix) so I need stock of the bands too.

So, over to you lot... What's the best way to do a professional looking job?

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 6/3/12 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ive tried using the 'boot supplied' metal ties before, and never got them to seal firmly. (like these)Steel Band Tie For CV Boot 2pc 3174 | eBay
About Us-

All the factory ones ive removed recently have been this type and always seem to alot firmer than any others.
Metal CV / Driveshaft Boot Ties Qty 4 Approx 20' Long | eBay

Personally Im happy to use plastic cable ties!

Bare

posted on 6/3/12 at 03:10 AM Reply With Quote
been doing the cv boots with zip ties for over 15 years.
None !! have failed as result of the zip ties. DO use 2 zips at 180 degrees though (for their bulky ends) cheap insurance :-)
Metal fasteners are simply a pita.

[Edited on 6/3/12 by Bare]

nick205

posted on 6/3/12 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
been doing the cv boots with zip ties for over 15 years.
None !! have failed as result of the zip ties. DO use 2 zips at 180 degrees though (for their bulky ends) cheap insurance :-)
Metal fasteners are simply a pita.

[Edited on 6/3/12 by Bare]

Same here, cable ties x2 have always worked best for me. the steel bands I can never get tight enough. I'm sure there nachine crimped from the factory.

BobM

posted on 6/3/12 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've used the metal clips crimping them with carpentry pincers, works fine.

Not very Locost but very BEC

MikeRJ

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
The metal clips that simply fold over have always worked perfectly for me, and can be tensioned and fastened using pliers though a special tool might make it a little easier.

Standard cable ties are crap; they don't seal properly at the head (unless you have special cable ties that fasten flush) and the heads are so big they can catch on the upright and get pulled off on some cars (e.g. mini). If they were a good choice they would be used by car manufacturers.

britishtrident

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Cable ties work fine provided they are not too wide.

Garden tying wire also works well,

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Strontium Dog

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Get a wind up one. It is MUCH better than using cable ties and cost bugger all so why not do it properly?!!

[Edited on 6/3/12 by Strontium Dog]

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

loggyboy

posted on 6/3/12 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Believe it or not ive seen jubilee clips used, for a stuburn boot that kept popping off on full lock!
Strontium Dog

posted on 6/3/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Believe it or not ive seen jubilee clips used, for a stuburn boot that kept popping off on full lock!

Better than using cable ties!

The tool I use cuts the steel band neatly and allows you to tensions the band perfectly. You just need to tap the tags down to secure the end. Simple and completely effective/reliable. I must have done hundreds over the years and never had a failure!..........Yet!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

ChrisW

posted on 6/3/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strontium Dog
Get a wind up one. It is MUCH better than using cable ties and cost bugger all so why not do it properly?!!

Do you mean one like this: eBay Item

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 6/3/12 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:

Do you mean one like this: eBay Item

Chris

Yep works a treat.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

NigeEss

posted on 6/3/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM

Likewise.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

loggyboy

posted on 6/3/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Better than using cable ties!

The tool I use cuts the steel band neatly and allows you to tensions the band perfectly. You just need to tap the tags down to secure the end. Simple and completely effective/reliable. I must have done hundreds over the years and never had a failure!..........Yet!

I dunno, the weight of the adjuster on jubilee clips could cerainly cause some balancing issues, which is not so with the light weight metal clips mentioned above.

RichardK

posted on 6/3/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Stainless mig wire also works well,but think that strappy machine in the link will look for factory which was your original question.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

coyoteboy

posted on 6/3/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
My MOT man whines at cable ties claiming they're not very good and should be replaced. I must admit they leak a little even with careful application and tight pulling but I suspect that's due to boot wear when the the first fell off.
mcerd1

posted on 6/3/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
quote:
Originally posted by BobM

Likewise.

me too

the wind up ones are supposed to be the proper way, but in reality they are a PITA, especially if your trying to fit one without taking the shaft off the car

most factory ones are crip-on ones too

[Edited on 6/3/2012 by mcerd1]

-

owelly

posted on 6/3/12 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've used cable-ties as a quick bodge when I havn't had the proper steel bands available but its very hard to get a cable-tie tight enough without it snapping or it slipping off. Even using a cable-tie tool doesn't ensure the boot seals properly.
I got a big bag of powder-coated stainless-steel cable-ties off some industrial electricians that were istalling cable tray where I work. They thread through a loop a bit like a belt buckle arrangement and you can click them up tighter with pincers before bending the tail back over the buckle and squishing the tabs down. Proper job.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

adithorp

posted on 6/3/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
We use one similar to the one in the link but with stainless zip ties rather than the loose roll shown. They're great but watch the ends as they are sharp; You won't even know you're cut and be wondering where all the red stuff is coming from.

Nail pincers work well (in place of the correct but expensive pliers) with the standard steel clips if the ones that come with a replacment boot are any good (lots of crap ones about).

Nylon zip ties work fine in a lot of cases but tend to stretch and leak or come loose over time.

We also use Jubilee clips, but only on the "plastic" CV boots like used by Renault, where the original welded (how do they do that) clips have failed (common) and the boot doesn't need replacing. Nothing else will compress the plastic enough to be secure. Balance was a concern but has never turned out to be a problem... and can't ever remember a FWD shaft that had been balanced.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.