Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis or Front End
speedstar

posted on 9/3/12 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis or Front End

Afternoon all,

Im on the hunt for a new front end for a Locost. The one I have has been found to be slightly banana shaped, with tubes at all kinds of obscure angles, and suspension mounts in completely the wrong place.

I'm either after just a front end, that is known to be true and square, that can be welded to the rear half using a jog (I've heard there are companies that offer this, but am yet to find any?)

or...

a complete chassis, preferably including a race spec roll cage. Again, 2nd hand or new from a professional.

Who has what? Or can point me in the right direction?

Merci all.

mikeb

posted on 9/3/12 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
If the front end is that badly out I don't think I'd trust the rest of the chassis, for the money I'd get a new one.
I think a basic chassis from someone like Talon start at £500 ish (think he advertises on ebay.)

speedstar

posted on 9/3/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Rear end is good. All meets up with te specs and is straight. This has been measured and checked so many times now, I'm confident about the rear.

Looks like the chassis was built by two different people... one of which lacked opposable thumbs and the gift of sight.

[Edited on 9/3/12 by speedstar]

designer

posted on 9/3/12 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
If the chassis is like a banana then the side rails will be wrong too.

I would go for a new chassis.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedstar

posted on 9/3/12 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Only the front is skew.

The rear is all square and flat.

I have started looking in to new chassis though. Does anyone supply them with roll cages?

Talon Motorsport

posted on 9/3/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Procomp.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 9/3/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Welding a new front on can be done very sucessfully - my partner in crime at the time wrote off the front end of our first (Stuart Taylor) Locost race car, Ian Grey (aka Stuart Taylor) sold us a new front end and a mate of a mate of my dads who was a proper old school fabricator turned up with a hacksaw, a spirit level and a few bits of string. He prompltly cut the old front end off and welded on the new one (aligned with the string and spirit level rather than a jig mind you!) and much to my astonishment the car was actualy straighter afterwards than it was before the accident - it even passed the Matt Procomp test as I recall

Obviously the problem you'd have is finding a manufacturer who'd be willing to sell you their front end to weld onto a homemade chassis so a whole new chassis is probably going to be a far easier option

Confused but excited.

posted on 9/3/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedstar

Looks like the chassis was built by two different people... one of which lacked opposable thumbs and the gift of sight.

[Edited on 9/3/12 by speedstar]

Sorry to hear about your woes mate but that quote is priceless.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

TimC

posted on 9/3/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for www.procomp.co.uk

They've done dozens of these.

andylancaster3000

posted on 9/3/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
You can have certain rolling chassis for the right price Tom!
samjc

posted on 9/3/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Depending where you are at i think mk sportscars do repairs i know they offer chassis with cages but give they a call.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.