Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone tell me - what's the point of this monstrosity?
David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Can anyone tell me - what's the point of this monstrosity?

It's the latest Bentley, if you haven't worked it out.

A big, ugly, pointless thing...

imp paul

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Odear its a ship or is it a crock of sh** lol haha
Andi

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yeeeuuw!

Reminds me of

Imp

wilkingj

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like it had a Yank Designer... Shades of the Chrysler cofin shaped thing!!

Sorry dont like it either.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely designed for the Yank market... and footballers...

Sad, as Bentley made its name in sporty big saloons - doesn't really fit in with their Le Mans image. does it.

Here's the quote from the site where I first saw it...

quote:

As subtle as fitting a set of spoilers and alloy wheels to Blenheim Palace, the EX P 9 will not only be Bentley’s first SUV but also its first hybrid. Initial versions - sorry, folks, but the head of Bentley has confirmed this monster will make it into production in 2015 - will have a 6.0-litre, 12-cylinder engine but there will also be a six-cylinder plug-in hybrid. Based on the same platform as the next Audi Q7 and VW Touareg, I suspect the EX P 9 will have Bentley traditionalists running for the hills in horror, but it should go down a storm with footballers and their wives.

britishtrident

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
It used to be quite a tradition in the country set to get the local coach builders to convert perfectly good pre-war Rolls-Royces into very ugly shooting brakes to carry the guns and chairs hampers needed to kill innocent wild life.

The Bentley hasn't even the room to do this like most upmarket 4x4 it is completely and utterly pointless.

[Edited on 10/3/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeCapon

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
OK not the same model but...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ali f27

posted on 10/3/12 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
it,s called yousing the brand image before they are finished they will have all manner of bentlys look at the bmw mini
scootz

posted on 10/3/12 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
That's a very 'unfortunate' looking photo of it... it looks much better in others!

Good luck to them!

It's Evolution Baby!

wylliezx9r

posted on 10/3/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
What a heap of shite, if it had a kia badge on it or something everybody would be saying how bad it is...........and those wheels are more suited to a pram

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/12 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
That's a very 'unfortunate' looking photo of it... it looks much better in others!

Good luck to them!

It's still an overweight 4x4 tarted-up van that simply won't fit in UK country roads - or in Chelsea, where many of them will end up. It's in the same group as those lardy Volvo and BMW 4x4s - too big on the road, useless on rough ground - in other words - a waste of space.

As said above - they're just milking the Bentley name as much as they can.

scootz

posted on 10/3/12 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
If Bentley have identified a market for them, then they'll build them and they'll sell them.

I doubt very much that they are even remotely concerned that you think the car is a waste of space.

It's Evolution Baby!

britishtrident

posted on 10/3/12 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
If the original 1970 Range Rover was introduced today it would be heralded as ground breaking and sell like hot cakes, a practical 4x4 that works off road you can actually carry stuff in !

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Alfa145

posted on 10/3/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously designed for the overpaid poncy footballers of the permiership to take their little kids on the school run
Neville Jones

posted on 10/3/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ali f27
it,s called yousing the brand image before they are finished they will have all manner of bentlys look at the bmw mini

I'd forgotten just how big the BMW(not so) Mini is, until I saw one parked beside a classic Austin Mini at the supermarket. That BMW thing is HUGE!. Humongously bigger in every direction.

Cheers,
Nev.

scootz

posted on 10/3/12 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If the original 1970 Range Rover was introduced today it would be heralded as ground breaking and sell like hot cakes, a practical 4x4 that works off road you can actually carry stuff in !

Nonsense!

Are you telling me that no-one would notice the awful build quality, the horrendous ride, the terrible steering, the rubbish brakes or the asthmatic engines of the 1970's RR?

Come on folks! (Most) car companies are perfectly capable of building a vehicle that will do whatever you think cars should do.

It's Evolution Baby!

MikeRJ

posted on 10/3/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:
Originally posted by ali f27

I'd forgotten just how big the BMW(not so) Mini is, until I saw one parked beside a classic Austin Mini at the supermarket. That BMW thing is HUGE!. Humongously bigger in every direction.

Cheers,
Nev.

And yet rear leg room is no better and rear boot space is very probably worse than the classic. Safety and refinement are probably the only two major improvements after 50 odd years (and the Coopers S models go pretty well).

Simon

posted on 10/3/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately for most of us, people with (new, footballers/x-factor/readers of OK/hello etc) money tend to have no class or style and will buy whatever has the biggest price tag for bragging rights irrespective of how ugly something may be.

That Bentley proves that they could make anything they like and tastelless rich people will buy it.

ATB

Simon

designer

posted on 10/3/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I see worse looking cars on the road everyday, even here!!
matt_gsxr

posted on 10/3/12 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I guess that is what you get when VW accountants design cars.
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 10/3/12 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
What a heap of shite, if it had a kia badge on it or something everybody would be saying how bad it is

Kia is slowly & quietly becoming a force that might need to be reckoned with, and in many customer satisfaction surveys their products are trumping the more established car makers.....

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

PSpirine

posted on 10/3/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Unless they radically change the look of it by the time it hits the showrooms, Land Rover's future is safe! We had a right good laugh at the office when watching the Bentley reveal.

Money can't buy you taste and all that..

It's a shame too, since the Mulsanne has a very impressive presence and look about it. Mind you, this one looks promising on the inside!

This thing will sell, as there is a market for it, and the UK is nowhere near the top of the priority list! But I doubt anybody will herald this as a good car.

23" wheels FML.

RK

posted on 10/3/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Same idea as the Q7 Audi and the like. Not for me, but keeps the car builders employed. I want to just shoot a big bazooka at them when I see them. And there are LOTS where I live.

One factor with these pieces of crap: most women I know want to sit up high, giving them a feeling of control over the big bad world out there. My SWMBO on the other hand, has a Mini with the seat all the way down... and she is not called SWMBO for nothing, I might add.

UncleFista

posted on 10/3/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon that's what Bentley's focus groups came up with to please the Chinese market.
A very large percentage of luxury car maker's market is China, and it will probably do well on their road system.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

JoelP

posted on 10/3/12 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you accept that there is a market for these big luxury motors, then i cant see the problem. The bentley 'face' looks a lot better than the range rovers and cayennes, and miles ahead of the awful Q7.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.