Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Budget Con?
coozer

posted on 21/3/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Budget Con?

Why is it things we poor people like get hammered straightaway.. like 37p on fags (I dont smoke by the way) but the personal allowence takes over a year to come into affect?

Road tax going up about £6, and fuel duty by 3p, they just dont listen, or care about us IMO...

Wish I'd done one somewhere else while I could have..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 21/3/12 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
think its because the country is in dept due to labour spending money they didn't have and giving away our gold reserves, meaning money has to be raised somewhere.

interesting though, as they've reduced the highest rate of tax (50% is a huge amount!) and increased the income tax allowance (when it finally comes in), so it kinda balances out I think? not sure really

unfortunately though, if they reduced all taxes (as we'd all love that) the country will be completely f****d
i think the only one i'm not impressed by is fuel duty going up, where it really needs to be cut. a lot. if they did that, more people would buy petrol and the tax income will probably be same.
all imo obviously

[Edited on 21/3/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

morcus

posted on 21/3/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I try to ignor it. Theres nothing you can do about it, absolutly nothing so you might aswell just accept it and not think about it.

#what we really need is major reform of everything but our political system is designed to prevent large changes from happening so we're stuck with a system that generates it's funds in ways that are wrong and distributes them badly.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

femster87

posted on 21/3/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeap thats true about the debt. But a reasonable economist would soon work out that there is limit you can get to before people cut back completely and no income is generated. When the cost of living exceeds the income alot of people would stop things like commuting, cigarette and booze reducing the revenues significantly. Which results in increasing unemployment and mediocre productivity from the country. Its only gonna go around in a cause and effect cycle until we all agree reasonable changes over a long period of time till things get better.

The savings have to be made but it has to well planned and staged. All this compounding increases at the same time with no rise in wages is a recipe for disaster. All in my opinion of course

[Edited on 21/3/12 by femster87]

amalyos

posted on 21/3/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
think its because the country is in dept due to labour spending money they didn't have and giving away our gold reserves, meaning money has to be raised somewhere.
]

If Maggie hadn't demolished our Manufacturing base, we may have been able to export something to bring money into the country.

There all as bad as one another, bit like football managers, everyone loves them when they're winning, but wants them out when they're not.

There's no magic formula, just be glad were not in Greece's position.........yet!!!

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

Agriv8

posted on 21/3/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Why is it things we poor people like get hammered straightaway.. like 37p on fags (I dont smoke by the way) but the personal allowence takes over a year to come into affect?

Road tax going up about £6, and fuel duty by 3p, they just dont listen, or care about us IMO...

Wish I'd done one somewhere else while I could have..

Unless you are a city banker who has taken the risks ( and got his bonuses from hitting theses targets) Then binned their toxic debt on to all of us and back at his desk making the big bonuses again . Then your are a winner.

Just bend down and drop your trousers if you are not!!

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

blakep82

posted on 21/3/12 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amalyos
quote:
]

If Maggie hadn't demolished our Manufacturing base, we may have been able to export something to bring money into the country.

There all as bad as one another, bit like football managers, everyone loves them when they're winning, but wants them out when they're not.

There's no magic formula, just be glad were not in Greece's position.........yet!!!

i agree they're all as bad as each other, but speaking to an old man in the pub the other week, he used to work in the ship yards on the clyde, when there was hundreds of them, it wasn't maggie that demolished manufacturing, but the yard owners selling their knowledge to the east to get parts done cheaper, eventually they learned too much and started doing the whole ships cheaper. thats only the words of 1 man, in one industry, in one area, so can't say if its the same for everywhere else.

but yeah, all as bad as the other, one lot throws money away, almost bankrupts the counrty, the other lot tighten everything up, stick taxes through the roof, and we're still screwed

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

woodster

posted on 21/3/12 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
its simple rich people get richer, poor people get poorer and they don't care about the normal working man he just pays for everything with his tax, if i'm lucky enough to do some overtime i get battered for tax

chris mason

posted on 21/3/12 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure i agree with it being a con!

The income tax threshold is due to rise on the 6th of April 2012 to £8105 then in April 2013 to £9205
Don't see a problem with that, Within the next 13 months everyone who works will pay no tax on the extra £1730 not bad at all

I don't like paying tax of any kind no more than the next guy, but it's how the country survives.

bj928

posted on 21/3/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
i should be going off back to america again in a few weeks, till the end of the year so it doesn't affect me at all, i would hate to work in the uk again, and have to support myself with a normal job, and a normal wage, i'm a truck driver on both sides of the pond, and at the moment its a no brainer to work stateside, i can save money over there (from $0 to $10,000 in 3 months last year in the bank), or be on the breadline over here, anyone wants a job i can put a word in

also, i legally don't pay income tax in either country

[Edited on 21/3/12 by bj928]

D Beddows

posted on 21/3/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
It's pretty much reached the stage in our household where all the money we have coming in every month is spoken for in essentials so however much the government put up taxes it wont get any more money out of us because we will just be buying less of everything (and it is depressingly beginning to be a LOT less of everything )

I'm sure we're far from alone and I really don't see how people buying less but paying more for it (purely because of tax) helps the economy...........the government yes, but the economy?

[Edited on 21/3/12 by D Beddows]

vanepico

posted on 21/3/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
Not sure i agree with it being a con!

The income tax threshold is due to rise on the 6th of April 2012 to £8105 then in April 2013 to £9205
Don't see a problem with that, Within the next 13 months everyone who works will pay no tax on the extra £1730 not bad at all

I don't like paying tax of any kind no more than the next guy, but it's how the country survives.

Result! I'm starting a placement in July, that means I'll pay a lot less tax than I thought I would! Also means I may be able to afford some more stuff for my car (if I can ever get around to making it :p)

Imo the country was a lot better back then than it is now, my mum's first insurance was £30 compared to my £1500+ quotes, music was a lot better, heck even the cars looked nicer! And it was cheaper to make a car :p

Maybe, like all the polish people coming over here for work, we'll have to go to America to work!

Also how do i go about starting a swiss bank account?

[Edited on 21/3/12 by vanepico]

dlatch

posted on 21/3/12 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

what exactly did labour do with the 13 years they had in power to bring back manufacturing to the uk?

oh yeah feck all

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 21/3/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad to see the lower income tax threshold will go up - that helps everyone, especially the poorest workers - it always seemed ludicrous to me that if you work for 'minimum wage' you still end up getting taxed, and that will be a major step towards stopping that. It also means less admin as a large number of people go to where theres no tax to pay.
Scrapping the 50% band also seems a good idea though! I was just looking at an article on the gaurdian web site - it seems only 1% of people earn enough to pay that level anyway (about 300,000) - although is does point out that those people actually pay something like 27% of all income tax, which I never realised. I do think high rates like that encourage the very rich to go offshore - look at people like Richard Branson - earns hundreds of millions of pounds but is based offshore for tax reasons.
Oh well - I can't actually come up with something that everyone thinks is fair, even among the few in my office, where we all have about the same income!
Hugh

vanepico

posted on 21/3/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you're working full time (40 hour week 48 weeks) for minimum wage you'll still pay tax So how much % do you pay on anything over the £8000?
Paul_C

posted on 21/3/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
The manufacturing base has shrunk due to many factors. The level of management incompetence and worker stupidity has had me shouting before now.
It wasn't great when I was looking for a job back in 1978 under Labour.
If my memory is correct Maggie encouraged Nissan and Honda and I guess Toyota. and also supported Rover which folded under Labour. That doesn't mean I support the Conservatives but the spin that Maggie demolished our manufacturing base isn't the full story. Nationalising Industries was a guaranteed route to failure.
It's sobering to remember that during only part of the Conservatives time in office the deficit wasn't increasing. I think that the reality is worse now. I suspect it's terminal.

Ninehigh

posted on 21/3/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i think the only one i'm not impressed by is fuel duty going up, where it really needs to be cut. a lot. if they did that, more people would buy petrol and the tax income will probably be same.
all imo obviously

Oddly enough not only your opinion. In fact I think the only people who don't share this opinion don't realise that their Kestrel Super Strength gets to Asda on a wagon that uses fuel, the stupid and the politicians

JonnyS

posted on 21/3/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bj928

As a chartered accountant, I can confirm that isn't possible. Whoever has given you that advice is incorrect and you need to get proper advice now.

JoelP

posted on 21/3/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
all imo obviously

Oddly enough not only your opinion. In fact I think the only people who don't share this opinion don't realise that their Kestrel Super Strength gets to Asda on a wagon that uses fuel, the stupid and the politicians

More people buying petrol with no increase in tax revenue isnt a benefit! Fact is we need weaning off fossil fuels. Fuel duty is just like subsidising other power sources. IMHO, road tax should be ditched and the revenue bumped back on as duty.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

bj928

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyS
quote:

As a chartered accountant, I can confirm that isn't possible. Whoever has given you that advice is incorrect and you need to get proper advice now.

i have spoken to an accountant and i am in a loophole, i'm sure it will be closed soon though

bobinspain

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's a sobering thought, but the Nation's on-balance-sheet debt is running at just over £1 trillion and rising. (£1,000,000,000,000).
That equates to around £30,000 per household. It's costing around £48bn a year just to service the debt.

If you think that's bad, then consider that off-balance sheet liabilities, (PFI, state pensions and the like) accounts for a further similar figure.

Whoever's in charge hasn't a snowflake in Hell's chance of recovering the situation. All we can do is wait until the effluent in which we're standing reaches our necks and hope someone comes up with a cunning plan before it gets any higher.

It really is the old maxim, "When you're up to your ass in aligators, it's very difficult to remind yourself that your primary objective was to have drained the swamp."

JonnyS

posted on 21/3/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyS
quote:

i have spoken to an accountant and i am in a loophole, i'm sure it will be closed soon though

Make sure they are qualified and that you have that in writing. If the taxman comes and takes his tax, you can sue the accountant.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/3/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Scrapping the 50% band also seems a good idea though! I was just looking at an article on the gaurdian web site - it seems only 1% of people earn enough to pay that level anyway (about 300,000) - although is does point out that those people actually pay something like 27% of all income tax, which I never realised.

That 50% tax is generally regarded as a booby-trap left by the Labour government - they knew they weren't going to win the election, they probably knew that the 50% tax wouldn't raise any useful income, but more than anything else they knew it would be a major embarrassment to the incoming government.

Ninehigh

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Odd how dropping that 50p tax to 45p means that the few people that are in that bracket are now better off to the tune of MORE THAN MY HOUSEHOLD INCOME

Oh yeah that includes the £200 ish that I'm supposed to be better o.. no cos fuel's still going up...

scootz

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
It's really sh*t isn't it... !!!

I mean look at all the starving people in the UK. All those forced to live a homeless existence.

No one looks after our medical or social needs.

No one can afford to run a car, or have satellite TV, or can afford copious amounts of alcohol, tobacco and fast food.

It just sucks when you really think about it!

It's Evolution Baby!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.