Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA inspection of WLR
PeterV

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA inspection of WLR

Load the beast onto the trailer last night (again) which has become a very quick process now. This morning left nice and early ready to attack the rush hour A12 nightmare. But suddenly nothing happened. No accident, no traffic jams in fact no traffic. Ended up arriving 1 hour 15 mins early at the DVLA Chelmsford. This early including a pasty breakfast stop

So wandered in took a number and was seen within 2 mins. This is all going too well me thinks. This will certainly end in tears.

But man at desk says he will talk to examiners, don’t bother unloading the car from the trailer until they get there as they may be able to see everything without any issues. Right this is all going way way too well. There will be a massive crash any second.

Two men arrive within 5 mins and look at the car and the paper work. I lift the bonnet and man one begins writing numbers form the VIN plate. Man two walks around looking at wheels and talks about the build process. Man one writes down number from the chassis. Man one looks at diff. Man one writes down engine number. Man two looks a gearbox. Man one and two chat and say Q plate. Me says yes please! Coz the last thing this monster wants is to look old. It should be a Q as it’s not a normal road car and I want to be loud and proud about the fact I built it.

Man one and man two look surprised but smile with contentment. Man one says they will be in touch in the next few days. Man one & two walk off to their office.

I drive home. No traffic in Chelmsford. No traffic on A12. I arrive home at the exact time my DVLA appointment should have kicked off. What a weird day. What a weird thing this DVLA inspection is. Still don’t get it but hey tiz done who cares

jacko

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Welldone
If you lived in Kingston upon Hull the police come and have a look at your home / garage

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PeterV

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Welldone
If you lived in Kingston upon Hull the police come and have a look at your home / garage

Why? What they looking for? Spare chassis that you might swap while the DVLA aren't looking or something! Just can't get my head around this step of the process

jacko

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
In Hull its the police that inspect the chassis / engine number not the DVLA the iva / sva is done by the VOSA
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
how come you wanted a Q plate? are you not planning on selling it at all? looks a grteat build by the way!

BobM

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, bet you can't wait to go out to play

Mine looks about as conventional a road car as yours and frankly I have trouble refraining from giggling every time I take her out!

Personally I'm a bit worried about where you're going to put your front reg plate

Not very Locost but very BEC

PeterV

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
how come you wanted a Q plate? are you not planning on selling it at all? looks a grteat build by the way!

No intention of selling. Makes no diffrence to the resale as far as I can see. If you have a Kit E-type and want it to lie about it being a real one then I guess theres a point to age plates. In the case of a WLR or the like just don't see what it gives the car apart from making it look old the day you take it out.

I want everyone to know I built this, coz me very vain and very proud of my beasty

BigLee

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
It's a real lottery with the DVLA offices. I called into Preston after my IVA simply to collect the forms, and walked out with an 11 plate and a tax disc. Glad it went well for you without any drama. Beautiful car
daniel mason

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
did they even check your car lee? i think im going to go for age related but the only old items are engine,box.diff,seats and wheels!

PeterV

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM
Well done, bet you can't wait to go out to play

Mine looks about as conventional a road car as yours and frankly I have trouble refraining from giggling every time I take her out!

Personally I'm a bit worried about where you're going to put your front reg plate

Me wana play and play and play
As for the front plate, well it will just fit me thnks

BigLee

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
did they even check your car lee? i think im going to go for age related but the only old items are engine,box.diff,seats and wheels!

No check Dan. I was in my Volvo, the MNR was in Sheffield at the time. "Tick, tick, check, sign, pay - See ya...."

daniel mason

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
did they look at paperwork?

BigLee

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
did they look at paperwork?

Oh yeah of course. It wasn't a total p*ss take. I had every bit of paperwork, receipts, photos, IVA certificate etc all in a file just incase. But certainly no inspection. I guess it would make your life easier not dragging the car down the M6.

daniel mason

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
was wondering if i could risk asking for a 2012 plate thats all. but have no receipt for engine/box

blakep82

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
was wondering if i could risk asking for a 2012 plate thats all. but have no receipt for engine/box

but of course you bought the engine from a friend didn't you?
just to avoid hand writing looking that same, get a mate to write you a receipt, sign in whatever name you want, put an old date on it, job done

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

franky

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Don't worry about a 2012 plate, it'll say date of registration 2012. For example mine was a 2011 'L' reg. It was a 2011 car. Better to keep the link to where it came from with your great drivetrain.

I had a 1999 engine/box and a 1994 diff in the end. Everything else was new.

daniel mason

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
i dont like doing things like that though and have got a receipt for the donor car,(honda s2000) for £3250 so was planning on handing that in. but the engine,box,diff and steering wheel are all i have used. the rest got sold

PeterV

posted on 25/3/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Letter for the DVLA has arrived. I need to insure the beast before I can get a registration number. I can understand that for a TAX disc but for a registration document this seems a little odd. But then again whatever the DVLA do seems a little odd. Never mind time to talk to insurance brokers and find out how to insure a car by it's chassis number.

This VOSA & DVLA stuff is a true mystery voyage of discovery.......

BobM

posted on 25/3/12 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterV
Letter for the DVLA has arrived. I need to insure the beast before I can get a registration number. I can understand that for a TAX disc but for a registration document this seems a little odd. But then again whatever the DVLA do seems a little odd. Never mind time to talk to insurance brokers and find out how to insure a car by it's chassis number.

That's standard when registering any new car. Usually though a main dealer has an allocation of a block of reg numbers they can choose from so they can give you the reg umber up front to get your insurance sorted.

You'll have no problem getting a cover note on the chassis number but be warned you might then get stung for an admin fee when you ring them to update the policy when you have a reg number. I got hit for £15 by Frank Pickles (who were otherwise comfortably the best value).

Not very Locost but very BEC

PeterV

posted on 25/3/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Bob. Nice to know this is normal in this abnormal process
franky

posted on 25/3/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i dont like doing things like that though and have got a receipt for the donor car,(honda s2000) for £3250 so was planning on handing that in. but the engine,box,diff and steering wheel are all i have used. the rest got sold

I was honest about where the bits were from and had all V5's and reciepts etc. I was 10000% honest. I was also pleased as it provided a link back to the original car

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.