Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wishbone questions
bassett

posted on 1/4/12 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Wishbone questions

Hi, Few quick wishbone setting questions.

For wishbones with split poly bushes and crush tubes can you tighten the bolts with the car jacked up or does it need to be on the floor with the weight on it?

If its whilst jacked up do you just tighten to a point that allows free movement or does the bolt need to be so tight it cannot be rotated with a spanner?

Thanks
Adma

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

MikeRJ

posted on 1/4/12 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
With polybushes it shouldn't make any difference, since the crush tube can turn within the bush. This is only essential for bonded 'metalastic' type bushes.
rusty nuts

posted on 1/4/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Just make sure that when the securing bolt is fully tight that each arm can rotate freely. My car amongst others had problems with the crush tubes being too short causing rock hard suspension , so much better with this sorted out
bassett

posted on 1/4/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
All arms are now nice and free when jacked up and wheels off. i marked all the bolts with a red mark from end to chassis and went for a test drive. on return all bolts have rotated but none have loosened so both bolt and nut rotated marginally. is this acceptable as all are fresh nylocs or should they not move

rusty nuts

posted on 1/4/12 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
All bolts should be fully tightened so that the crush tube is gripped , the bushes/arms should rotate freely around the crush tube. Loose bolts will cause wear and damage to components.
40inches

posted on 1/4/12 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
All bolts should be fully tightened so that the crush tube is gripped , the bushes/arms should rotate freely around the crush tube. Loose bolts will cause wear and damage to components.

Dead right! Tighten the bolts fully, and if the bone isn't free to move you need to take material from the end of the polybush until it is.

bassett

posted on 1/4/12 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments as along with reading this thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=139159 i completely understand and think thats how it is on all than 2arms which were difficult to set the bushes in which might be our problem. how do you remove rubber from the ends if its loose and is still mushrooming slightly?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.