Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Maximum radiator mount distance
rincewind23

posted on 2/4/12 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Maximum radiator mount distance

Hi all,

Is there a maximum distance I can (safely) mount my radiator out in front of the frame? I build a McSorley 442 frame, and then bought a fiesta radiator because, well let's just say friday night G&Ts, eBay and a bad memory for car names are a bad mix

The radiator hose connectors don't point back like the polo ones appear to, but out to the side. To get the hoses back inside I need to mount the radiator far enough forward to fit some 180 degree bend hoses in. This is probably about 120-150mm out. Is this going to be a problem? The book doesn't really explain much about this part of the build. Since it's a non-stock build (Rover v8 engine I got cheap and McSorley frame design), I'm going to have to custom fabricate the bodywork when I get that far anyway.

Cheers,
KEv.

loggyboy

posted on 2/4/12 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ive mounted mine about 100mm further forward at the base and angled so the top is closer. Mine is a golf rad, which is slightly wider than the polo 'norm' and its pretty close to the inner face of the nose
Would it probably easier to get a polo/golf rad?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/4/12 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've also built the +442 and my radiator is around 40mm from the front frame, and around the same from the lower inner edge of the nosecone.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

rincewind23

posted on 2/4/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

Daddylonglegs, you probably bought the right radiator

Loggyboy, It probably would be easier to get a polo/golf rad, but even treating it really carefully a load of the fins on the rad I have are bent now, so I doubt the place I bought it from would swap it out, and it was new so it wasn't cheap Will stubbornly stick with it and try to make it work without having to route the hoses between the front wishbones...

loggyboy

posted on 2/4/12 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Golf/Polo rads are only £25 posted new!
rincewind23

posted on 2/4/12 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked the invoice and it wasn't as expensive as I thought

I'll still see if I can fit this one first, then bin it in frustration and get a Golf/Polo one in a week or so..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.