Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Mcsorley Book Chassis + Sierra IRS +Sierra Front Hubs
ChrisS

posted on 27/8/04 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Mcsorley Book Chassis + Sierra IRS +Sierra Front Hubs

Hi

Is anybody doing a mcsorely book chassis and putting a sierra IRS setup in. Ive started building the chassis hoping that ill be able to modify the rear end and either use wishbones from MK or make some. As yet have found limited useful measurements or diagrams. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Maybe someone would be able to provide detailed measurements of the box construction that sits behind the rear bulkhead and wishbone positions for a particular wishbone type. that'd be useful.

Also has anyone used the standard book wishbones with sierra front hubs? I imagine this is all going to be different again?

I also brought the tiger avon book hoping that might help but, im not sure on that yet.

many thanks in advance.

[Edited on 27/8/04 by ChrisS]

[Edited on 27/8/04 by ChrisS]

James

posted on 27/8/04 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Unless you know what you're doing I'd highly recommend you buy the De Dion back end from GTS. This can really easily be grafted onto the back of your chassis. It's cheap too when you look at everything you get in the kit.

It's what I would have done if it'd been available when I did my chassis. Instead, I've cobbled something together much like yours and I basically have very little idea it's gonna be any good!

Cheers,

James

Ben_Copeland

posted on 27/8/04 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I used Sierra Front hubs and standard wishbones, all you have to do it rebore the hole in the bottom of the hub to match the balljoint used.

Chris, U2U sent.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

marktigere1

posted on 27/8/04 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris

After what seems an age of planning, I have decided on the book chassis with GTS DeDION rear end. I don't really want to build a car only to find it drives like a dog so I'm leaving the suspension side to the pro's and concentrating on getting the chassis made to the best that I can do. (Probably sh*te but never mind)

I'm not sure about the front end though. I know Ned is using the DeDion rear with a book front arrangement but I'm wondering about going the GTS wide track route with Sierra uprights.

Good luck

Mark

If a bolt is stuck force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!!!
(My Dad 1991)

Ben_Copeland

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
The rear end on my car is going to end up wider anyway, due to spacers to fill the huge rear arches, thats with a live axle. I'm not gonna worry about the wider track arguement, i just cant stand wheels disappearing into the arches.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

andyps

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
My plan is a book chassis as far as the seat backs, with an Avon IRS rear end. At least you get something close to soem dimensions in the Avon book. I will be using wide front wishbones from GTS, MNR or someone unless I make my own, but I do want the same track front and rear.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

cassidym

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, I MAY go the same route as you due to costs - picked up a Sierra diff for +-5 pounds today.

BUT, I'm very realistic about my engineering/welding/etc. skills and am still on the hunt for a solid live axle which I think is much easier than DeDion or IRS.

twinturbo

posted on 27/8/04 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I am using the sierra rear arms on custom made mounts.. These have the same dimensions as the sierra beam but reduce the need for teh big TUBE...

It may not work but I am prepared to put in the effort and time to at least give something different a go..

Using front sierra hubs too... On MK wishbones but using Astra MK2 bottom ball joints as they are a direct fit

TT

jcduroc

posted on 28/8/04 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Joćo Martins http://www.martinsportscar.com is building a book chassis with his own IRS w/ Sierra diff.
He used Sierra front uprights with longer wishbones to get the same tracks front and rear.

JCM

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.