Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: All GRP panels
w.olly

posted on 21/4/12 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
All GRP panels

Areat folks, i ma trying to work out roughly how much weight i can save if i make all the panel work from GRP instead of ally, but i need to know how many sqm area there is?
I was going to get giddy and use carbon fibre, untill i seen the cost , would look cool though hey

So any idea on the sqm needed to cover all the panels?

cheers

wolly

macc man

posted on 21/4/12 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I would imagine that alloy panels are lighter than grp panels. Unless you make them from light tissue.
Slimy38

posted on 21/4/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on here for a comparison of materials;

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/t-GlassReinforcedPlastics.aspx

If I understand the term 'specific gravity' correctly, it suggests that a panel made from CSM and of similar tensile strength as aluminium will be slightly less than half the weight.

w.olly

posted on 21/4/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
well from my workings out

10 sqm of 1.5 ally is 89lds

20 sqm 0f 300grm ( 2 layers ) gsm with resin is 55lbs, ex gel coat

more could be saved in other grp methods if using a glass fibre cloth or woven roving.

thought it would be worth looking into as a weight saver and maybe cheaper.

beat me to it Slimy

[Edited on 21/4/12 by w.olly]

Slimy38

posted on 21/4/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, that table suggests woven roving or cloth would yield a stronger panel, at the expense of being less workable. But if you're looking at replacing ally I'm guessing you're not looking at complex curves?

If you want the carbon fibre look you could always add just one layer on the outside face? You won't have the ultimate strength to weight ratio of a full fibre panel, it won't be any weaker than GRP but it'll be a whole lot prettier? That's what I'm planning to do (if I get round to it!)

w.olly

posted on 21/4/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Yep, that table suggests woven roving or cloth would yield a stronger panel, at the expense of being less workable. But if you're looking at replacing ally I'm guessing you're not looking at complex curves?

If you want the carbon fibre look you could always add just one layer on the outside face? You won't have the ultimate strength to weight ratio of a full fibre panel, it won't be any weaker than GRP but it'll be a whole lot prettier? That's what I'm planning to do (if I get round to it!)

Yes at the minute i will be just doing the flat sheets, i have done a bit before in my boating days, easy to do with a sheet of hardboard to get a good flat surface to lay up on, i am going to see what i need when i come to do the body and i ite do a whole new rear and nose cone, depends on how excited i am to to te it going.

I like the idea of a surface carbon fibre with roven onderneath, didnt think of that, good call kida. Bjut at £25 - £30 per sqm

still the Q needs an answer, how many sqm area on the builds?

madmog

posted on 23/4/12 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by w.olly
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

Yes at the minute i will be just doing the flat sheets, i have done a bit before in my boating days, easy to do with a sheet of hardboard to get a good flat surface to lay up on, i am going to see what i need when i come to do the body and i ite do a whole new rear and nose cone, depends on how excited i am to to te it going.

I like the idea of a surface carbon fibre with roven onderneath, didnt think of that, good call kida. Bjut at £25 - £30 per sqm

still the Q needs an answer, how many sqm area on the builds?

To use a layer of carbon then a layer of glass, you should really use (expensive) epoxy resin for both rather than polyester. Polyester resin has a different expansivity ratio to carbon and so I've heard from boatbuilders, gives you a weaker resulting material than glass and polyester. Also polyester resin doesn't stick very well to dry epoxy resin. Epoxy sticks well to dry polyester though. So if you make the glass/polyester layer first then add the epoxy/carbon to the outside it should be fine but will need work to get smooth. Or make the carbon layer first but use epoxy resin with the glass. Oh epoxy resin won't dissolve the temporary glue that holds together csm so it will be more difficult to work.

Sorry to add difficulties.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.