Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone recommend a good joiner?
fha772

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone recommend a good joiner?

Hi all,

I hope I've put this in the right section!!

I'm planning the restoration of our 1936 ERF,
mechanically it's good, it's just the wooden cab frame has gone rotten.
Joinery isn't my strong point, so I'm trying to find somebody to help/teach me to rebuild the cab frame.
Can anybody recommend somebody who can help me?

Here's a couple of pics of our ERF when we were still using it.

(Ps, this is going to be put back to work once it's restored, it'll never be an over polished show lorry)

Cheers Frank.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

Coopz

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
That Lorry is awesome it's great that its going to be back in service, sorry I cannot help with the joiner! Good job your based way out of london, I think you may well be shot if you tried driving into london with the new emission zones!
JohnH

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
ooo i wish i lived closer. i am a time served joiner,and would have loved to help... I spend my holidays and odd weekends at Matlock (Lickpenny caravan park) because its close to Aries Motorsport....
Would love to have a look at it when i am down next....... John

Benzine

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome ERF

quote:
Originally posted by Coopz
Good job your based way out of london, I think you may well be shot if you tried driving into london with the new emission zones!

Pre Jan '73 are exempt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coopz

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Awesome ERF

quote:
Originally posted by Coopz
Good job your based way out of london, I think you may well be shot if you tried driving into london with the new emission zones!

Pre Jan '73 are exempt

Oh, fair enough then knock yourself out

jacko

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a nice looking project as others have said if only i lived closer
I am a time served vehicle body builder and made wood frame vans before alloy came in to fashion for framing
have you seen the program wreck rescue [ think thats what it was called ] with mark Evans repairing a old matador
Jacko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbIJXnJ1aKk

[Edited on 21/4/12 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fha772

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, it's been a good old lorry over the years, we've owned it since 1948, and until 1999, it had worked constantly since then.
That's when the cab got too bad to use, since then it's been parked in the yard.

I've been in contact with a few firms over the years about building a new cab frame.
I only wanted a bare frame, I will do all the panelling.
The best quote I got was £7000!!!!
Which is absolutely crazy, seeing as the cab is so basic in design, apart from the 6 main pillars, everything else is straight and square.
Even the curved pillars are just cut to shape, there's no steam forming involved.

Can anyone recommend what type of wood to use?
I'm thinking of using a hard wood, so I don't have to worry too much about it going rotten again.

Macbeast

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Beech ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Peteff

posted on 21/4/12 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I remember my mother telling me about Hall's fair when it was held behind the fire station in Clay Cross and how the piece of land it was held on was always called the fair ground next to where they lived on Waterloo Street. A friend of mine used to do this kind of thing but he retired and I don't know what happened to him but there was a wagon at the yard when I was there years ago and it was repaired using Beech as Mac says. Do you have a relative called Paul, he lived just round the corner from me but he's got a new woman and moved now ?

[Edited on 21/4/12 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

austin man

posted on 21/4/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I believe Ash is used by Morgan make sure the timber is dry and well seasoned

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jerryscales

posted on 22/4/12 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fha772
Thanks guys, it's been a good old lorry over the years, we've owned it since 1948, and until 1999, it had worked constantly since then.
That's when the cab got too bad to use, since then it's been parked in the yard.

I've been in contact with a few firms over the years about building a new cab frame.
Which is absolutely crazy, seeing as the cab is so basic in design, apart from the 6 main pillars, everything else is straight and square.
Even the curved pillars are just cut to shape, there's no steam forming involved.

I'm thinking of using a hard wood, so I don't have to worry too much about it going rotten again.

Our old Matador had an ash frame, and thats 60 yrs old, it flexes well and doesnt split. If it was good enough for the builders in the first place it seems that what we would use.

jerryscales

posted on 22/4/12 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fha772

Our old Matador had an ash frame, and thats 60 yrs old, it flexes well and doesnt split. If it was good enough for the builders in the first place it seems that what we would use.

jacko

posted on 22/4/12 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Ash is the best and that's why it was £7000 it is mega expensive you could use kerroin but you get a lot of ressin coming out of it
Jacko

fha772

posted on 22/4/12 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Ash is the best and that's why it was £7000 it is mega expensive you could use kerroin but you get a lot of ressin coming out of it
Jacko

There's roughly 45ft of 6"x2", 25ft of 2"x2", and 45ft of 2"x1.5", by my estimate that's roughly £1000-1200+ VAT, over £5000 for the work seemed too much, I was expecting around £2000 max for the labour side of it.

If the quote had been around £3-4000, I would have had it done, but seeing as the last fully restored ERF C15, sold at auction for £10,000, the £7000 seems disproportionate, to the value of the vehicle. Admittedly, this will never be sold, seeing as it was, my grandad's lorry, then my dad's and now mine, it was the first lorry I drove after passing my Class 1.

Peteff

posted on 22/4/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Gregory's wood yard is not far from you, you could go there and ask about timber/lumber whatever you want to call it. If you are not looking at doing a like for like restoration you could quite reasonably use treated pine for the framework or is there any salvageable framework left for you to join into with new material and methods like PU adhesives etc ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

fha772

posted on 22/4/12 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
That's who I'm going to get all the wood from, I'm friends with Nigel and Robert Gregory, so they're giving me a good price.
The price of the wood, has never been an issue, I just want to use the best wood possible, it's the price of the labour that's always shocked me

Of seasoned Ash is the best wood for the job, then that's what I'll use, but I have heard of people using Cedar, and mahogany.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.