Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA fail chadderton
steve8274

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
IVA fail chadderton

hi all
well the big day came
test was at 8am so set off at 6 just to make sure. guess what. no traffic! so arrived there stupidly early.
dropped trailer off and went for some breakfast.
so the test:
first thing he checked was engine number. problem number 1. i had painted over this so it wasnt readable! easy fix. screwdriver out bit out sandpaper and all was revealed. not the best start.
the rest of the test seemed to be going well. i was getting bit tired of climbing in and out of vehicle as the tester asked me to do things.
anyway onto the fails
1. hazard switch when pressed on with ignition off, decided to make the dash become ignition live. all the gauges moved as though i had switched ignition on. never known it to do this before. any ideas?
2. petrol cap wasnt tethered. not quite sure on this because my cap was purchased from GBS and its the type where the key cant be removed unless you turn the cap to locked position. thought this was sufficient. tried to explain to tester but didnt want to push anything cos he seemed nice guy and didnt want to argue and maybe cause more problems. how have people tethered theirs?
3. oil leak. didnt think this would cause a problem but tester said it wasnt allowed. however he made it obvious that it only needs to be leak free for test. think it maybe crank oil seal. leaking between engine and gearbox bell housing. wont have time to fix proper before test so quick fix for now. gasket sealer and cover over for now

and thats it. not too bad i feel
tester was really good and seemed very fair. enjoyed the experience once i had got over my nerves
retest booked for 30th april
tried to upload some photos of car but cant seem to do it. done now but bit big. how do i make them smaller?
advice welcome on all aspects
thanks
steve

[Edited on 21/4/12 by steve8274]

JeffJeffers

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
That's not bad at all. I would be happy with that on Wednesday when mine is tested.
for the petrol cap I have used a wire from from a fishing swivel that a friend gave me. Some people use a plug chain.

[Edited on 21/4/12 by JeffJeffers]

AdrianH

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think you could have a go with the fuel cap this is out of my latest version of the manual.

The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap
(Post 0 5 / 2009 vehicles only)

All in all sounds like a good fail though

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

steve8274

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH
I think you could have a go with the fuel cap this is out of my latest version of the manual.

The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap
(Post 0 5 / 2009 vehicles only)

All in all sounds like a good fail though

Adrian

thats what i tried to tell him but after couple of times, i thought i would just leave it and tether it. may have pushed bit more if it was only fail item
steve

steve8274

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffJeffers
That's not bad at all. I would be happy with that on Wednesday when mine is tested.
for the petrol cap I have used a wire from from a fishing swivel that a friend gave me. Some people use a plug chain.

[Edited on 21/4/12 by JeffJeffers]

hi
where did you attach other end of wire too? can only see fuel filler pipe inside of cap
good luck for your test on wednesday
steve

[Edited on 21/4/12 by steve8274]

L5W

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a filler cap from CBS which was stated as IVA ok but tethered mine anyway through the holes in the unleaded restrictor using some wire and crimps used for making pike fishing traces. No comment from the tester on this during my test.

crummy pic on my blog

Can post you some wire & crimps if you want them
cheers,
Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

adithorp

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't it a case that if the key couldn't be lemoved then it had to also be impossible to start the car. ie. the key had to be the ignition key or perminently attached to it?

Tethering is a good idea anyway. I know of 4 people who've driven of with thier caps missing from their kits after filling up; either left on the pump or on the rear panel. A piece of chain attached to the cap with a T bar on the other end. Easy to drop it in but then the T won't let it back out.

Good fail though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hootsno1

posted on 21/4/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve
as fails go i think you done well, I am also building a Zero can you tell me how you bent the scuttle and rear tub please as I'm going to have a go at this tomorrow all fingers crossed
good luck for the 30th
thanks
Mark

If a little hammer won't fix it get a bigger hammer

Daddylonglegs

posted on 22/4/12 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Good fail methinks. Easily fixed by the sound of it so well done.

Hope mine is as close

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

steve8274

posted on 22/4/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L5W
I bought a filler cap from CBS which was stated as IVA ok but tethered mine anyway through the holes in the unleaded restrictor using some wire and crimps used for making pike fishing traces. No comment from the tester on this during my test.

crummy pic on my blog

Can post you some wire & crimps if you want them
cheers,
Lee

thanks lee for the offer.
think i know what i need to do now.
gonna get some chain (probably of a sink plug) then attach to cap and piece of metal. thread this down filler pipe to bottom of tank. this should then hopefully anchor chain in place
cheers
steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.