Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Property Damage - Car Driver
001Ben

posted on 26/4/12 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Property Damage - Car Driver

Ok, completely un car related.

A couple of weeks ago a driver drove through my front fence , destroying my property ( Fence, plants, rockery) and his car (bumper , headlights etc) . The police were called and he went off in an ambulance as he was claiming he passed out, the police did talk to him and breathalysed him. The police towed his car away, gave me an incident number and then left

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I thought or rather hoped that it would be a simple case of phoning my home insurance company up and claiming off his car insurance however they have said it would have to be a claim off my house insurance and i would have to pay my excess (£350 ) and that they may be a ble to claim the costs back, there was a very big may so i get the feeling that it wouldn't happen nor do i want to pay the excess or claim on my insurance.

I thought i would go and speak to his insurance company direct and they have given be a case numver and passed me on to the departmemet that is dealing with it. I have spoken with them today and they have said it is currently being investigated and that if he is not found to be negligent then they will not pay out for any damages. They also indicated that if he passed out then he would not be deemed negligent and costs for repair would not sit with the insurers.

So , where do i stand ,if this is the case? can I persue a small claims case? or should i just pay for the damage although i am loathed to do this out of principle. Has anyone had any thing similar happen to them?

[Edited on 26/4/12 by 001Ben]

computid

posted on 26/4/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Although I have no personal experience with such an issue what I do know is that when a friend of mine slid his clio on ice and knocked down a garden wall the owner of the wall claimed off of his insurance.

HowardB

posted on 26/4/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you have legal cover on your house insurance, then I'd use that, and instruct accordingly.

hth

oh and good luck

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

morcus

posted on 26/4/12 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Again, no personal experience but in your situation, the first thing I would do is find out what it's going to cost and contact the person that did it asking politely that they pay for it to be fixed. If that failed you'd probably have to go through small claims court.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

scootz

posted on 26/4/12 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Stick at his insurance co... they are liable for the damage to your property!

It's Evolution Baby!

loggyboy

posted on 26/4/12 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt involve your insurers, just contact him directly and ask him to send you the details of who he is insured with.

Mistral Motorsport

blakep82

posted on 26/4/12 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Stick at his insurance co... they are liable for the damage to your property!

correct. the 3rd party bit is to cover other peoples property, whether its cars, houses, gardens, lamp posts.
keep at them, they're just trying to get out of paying.
i'm pretty sure at the time the police were there, he won't really have been aware that he passed out. people usually say they don't know what happened at the time and are confused for a while. sounds to me he knows that saying he passed out will get him out a lot of things.
if he KNOWS he passed out, then it seems to me that he's got known medical problems...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ashg

posted on 26/4/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
he crashed into your wall he is liable. ring his insurance get a claim form and send it in. if his insurance refuse to pay then take it to small claims.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Slimy38

posted on 26/4/12 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
If he'd crashed into another car, saying that he'd passed out wouldn't do him any favours. Why is it different crashing into a house?

Sounds like your home insurance are just swinging the lead so they don't have to do any work. Push for it to go through as a full claim against the third party.

Minicooper

posted on 26/4/12 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've had several close members of the family who have had various things happen to them.

If next doors house burns down and takes yours with it, unless negligence can be proven then you claim off your own insurance, my mother has been flooded from the upstairs flat 8 times, her own insurance company tells her to either pay for it herself, claim off her own insurance or take them to small claims court, unless you can prove negilgence you will get no where and they are not liable.

I was as surprised as most people would be when this happened to my relatives, most people would assume that the person who damaged your home/car/whatever there insurance would be liable, but it appears this is not the case for most people

David

scootz

posted on 26/4/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
House fires and road traffic accidents are quite different!

It's Evolution Baby!

Minicooper

posted on 26/4/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
House fires and road traffic accidents are quite different!

I understand that, but one thing is the same, it's the person own insurance that are saying this, they are saying claim off us, because unless you can prove negligence you can't claim off the persons insurer that caused the damage.

I don't agree with it but it seems that's the way it works

When next doors massive oak tree comes down one day and destroys my house, I'm sure they will claim it as a act of god, same way as my car was destroyed by a roof blowing off and landing on my car, the insurers of the house that lost the roof claimed it was an act of god therefore they were not liable. I argued with them for years about that, but unless I could prove god doesn't exist then I wasn't covered

Strange lot are insurers you know!

David

scootz

posted on 26/4/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Road traffic legislation specifies that motor vehicles used on public roads must have an insurance policy that covers the 'third party'.

There is no such obligation in place that requires home insurance policies to do so.

It's Evolution Baby!

001Ben

posted on 26/4/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
I've had several close members of the family who have had various things happen to them.

If next doors house burns down and takes yours with it, unless negligence can be proven then you claim off your own insurance, my mother has been flooded from the upstairs flat 8 times, her own insurance company tells her to either pay for it herself, claim off her own insurance or take them to small claims court, unless you can prove negilgence you will get no where and they are not liable.

I was as surprised as most people would be when this happened to my relatives, most people would assume that the person who damaged your home/car/whatever there insurance would be liable, but it appears this is not the case for most people

David

This is pretty much what they are saying, I cant see how they can possible say that , doubt iut would be the case if he hit another car. Think another phone call tomorrow is needed. If i decide to take this through small claims would i take him or the insurance company to court?

scootz

posted on 26/4/12 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ben..

Stop the communication with your home insurance. They don't deal with RT matters!

Keep dealing directly with the car insurance company! Don't be fobbed off by them! They are responsible!

That he claims to have 'passed out' is completely irrelevant!

It's Evolution Baby!

001Ben

posted on 26/4/12 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ben..

Stop the communication with your home insurance. They don't deal with RT matters!

Keep dealing directly with the car insurance company! Don't be fobbed off by them! They are responsible!

Him passing out is completely irrelevant!

As soon as my home insurance said it would be a claim on my insurance i stopped the conversation and won't be phoning them back up, its his insurer's that i am dealing with.

Simon

posted on 26/4/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
As already said, this is exactly what insurance is for. Get a claim form from his insures. If his fainting is a known prob, perhaps the dvla might like to suspend his licence for further investigation.

ATB

Simon

snakebelly

posted on 26/4/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Definately his car insurers who will pay, if he had hit a council sign for example his insurers would pay out immediately as local councils take no prisoners and have their own legal departments. They are just hoping you'll give up and dissapear
JoelP

posted on 26/4/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
To agree with most of the above, they have bullsh**ed you in the hopes you give up. Just another example of bull**** britain. There is no law against lying it would seem, so they do it with gusto.

Of course its his fault. And of course he was negligent, he lost control of his car. Myself, id have a landscape gardener round for a quote, put the shits up them with a big bill.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

snakebelly

posted on 26/4/12 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.monetos.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance/types/third-party-fire-theft/
This makes it very clear his insurers are liable

001Ben

posted on 26/4/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
http://www.monetos.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance/types/third-party-fire-theft/
This makes it very clear his insurers are liable

That looks good, will see how i get on with them tomorrow. Like others have said it seems that they are trying to get me to give up. Guess they dont know me!

snakebelly

posted on 27/4/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
would be interested in hearing how you get on, let us know.
MikeRJ

posted on 27/4/12 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I wouldnt involve your insurers, just contact him directly and ask him to send you the details of who he is insured with.

Absolutely this. I simply can't understand why people pursue third party claims through their own insurance? Dealing with one insurance company is a pain in the bum, put two in the loop and things just get worse.

Irony

posted on 27/4/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
As above they are just trying to fob you off. They are just hoping you'll get fed up and go away. I am sure that insurance companies have unofficial policies regarding 'ignoring people until they actually take us to court'.
001Ben

posted on 27/4/12 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
well, i phoned them again and they said pretty much the same thing that if he was negligent then they will pay out and if he wasnt then they wont. They are currently waiting for doctors notes to see if he had been advised not to drive or whether the tablets that he had been on said that he shouldnt drive. I did explain that i didnt give a flying hoop whether he should or shouldn't drive and that i wanted my garden repairing and as it is his fault and he is insured then i expect them to payout.Even mentioning small claims court and financial ombudsmen didnt seem to bother them, in fact he told me to go and see a solicitor!

There next bit of advise was either pay for it myself or go through my home insurance. He did say ( after 20 minutes) that if they were to pay out that they would want two quotes to get it fixed and that i should go away and sort that out as it may speed up the process if they do decide to payout, but i think he was getting fed up with me by then. What makes it worse is he couldnt say how long it would take for them to decide whether to pay out or not.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.