Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New tin top - E39
Liam

posted on 26/4/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
New tin top - E39

After more than six happy years with the trusty Vauxhall Omega barge, I've finally replaced it with something even better. Nothing hugely special, but I already luuurve it so thought I'd show it off.

2001 E39 (best 5-series evar) 530i Sport. Was looking for a V8 but this 6 came up with super low mileage, only 2 previous owners and the rare leccy Comfort Seat option. But the real reason I just had to have it and sat there foaming at the mouth and twitching until the Mrs told me to just go and buy it... DOUBLE FREAKIN GLAZING Oh wow! Option of myth and legend.

Totally love it - superbly put together and lovely to drive. Much better than the Omega in every way than I expected. Amazing what you can pick up for 4k these days.

A few pics...

It's got double glazing

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
me!

posted on 26/4/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thats sweet! Touring and a manual box it'd be perfect for me
nick205

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Tidy

Super comfy and quiet in there I'll bet

Dangle_kt

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of mileage?
handyandy

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice indeed

Looks like it has all the "toys" too

I think thats one of the best colours available for that car..subtle but striking at the same time

Am liking the M-para,s too

McLannahan

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think Harvey (Carpmart) has a nice one of these too?

Lovely car, what's the consumption like in every day use?

perksy

posted on 26/4/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Have a soft spot for the big beemers and in a nice colour aswell
cloudy

posted on 26/4/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Like it a lot, I have an e46 330i touring in the same colour

PS. dont forget to put some air in the nearside rear tyre!

www.warnercars.com

Liam

posted on 26/4/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments . I'm feeling the E39 love already. Actually I'm pining after it - I'm now back in Norway and wont be swapping it with the trusty old Vaux till mid may . I actually put a deposit on it from Norway without even seeing it to stop it going walkies, then got a flight back to blighty last weekend to buy it - lol!

To answer some comments/questions...

Nah - auto is the only way to roll

It's crazy quiet on the road. Driving it home I could have been annoyed by really quiet creaks and squeaks, but it really has none. Instead I was bugged by the sound of my leather jacket poppers rattling. I have no non-double glazed E39 to compare it to so I can't say how effective that is for sure - maybe they are all that quiet, but it's certainly vastly quieter than the Omega which isn't exactly noisy. That's right - DOUBLE GLAZING. In a car.

Only 54,000 miles with full BMW history and all service lights green. Recent oil service and inspection 1 plus front brakes 2,000 miles ago. It's low enough I can put BMW comprehensive warranty on it, which I'm kind of tempted to do to hopefully iron out any major issues in the first year before going it alone. On the other hand, I'm a locoster and have always done my own major spannering. Buying a warranty would feel weird.

It has a great number of toys - considering it's only a 'middle of the range' engine, the original buyer went crazy on the options list - the leccy comforts and leccy steering column, rear and side blinds, DOUBLE FRIKKIN GLAZING (did I mention that?), DSP audio, rain sensing wipers. Sadly he forgot to tick heated seats, so I'm planning my first retro-fit already .

The wheels are OK but they're not my favourite. That would be the 'proper' M-paras - the 18" Style 37s. Those are awesome. These are OK - growing on me and will be cheaper for rubber being 17". From the side, if you squint, they look like Style 37s.

Haven't driven it much, but I understand it's very much like my Omega and capable of a solid 35mpg on the motorway and returning low 20s for purely start-stop urban, probably to average mid to high 20s for the sort of use I will give it. Not too bad really.

Love the colour too - close to perfect. Perhaps if the leather was a touch lighter, but it's fine. Already considering pulling it apart to fit black carpet though .

Er yeah Cloudy - did that aftewards. Was 12 PSI <disgusted with self>

[Edited on 26/4/12 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 26/4/12 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nice...I've an F10 version and an Omega. Omega is easily quieter than the F10. 99% of the noise in the F10 is tyre noise....when on "good" tarmac it's pretty much silent...
stevebubs

posted on 26/4/12 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
PPS one of my best mates has an E39 B10 v8 which has an Engine recently rebuilt by Alpina themselves.

Do you want me to let you know if he ever decides to sell?

jambojeef

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Ah yeer!

Thats what Im talkin 'bout.

Good to see you've seen the e39 light man!

530i sport defo the way to go and nice options there too!

When do I get a ride in it?

Liam

posted on 27/4/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Fa sho, dawg!!

Thanks for showing me the way. You were right - it's awesome. Did you see the bit about where it has DOUBLE GLAZING? Wow.

You'll have to come over to Norway for a spin unless you're down in the Ghetto mid May when I'm back to swap it for the Meega. You missed the skiin now, but summer's got fjords and all that so not too bad.

F10s look like a worthy E39 successor, stevebubs - but surprised to hear it's noiser than an Omega. Maybe the double glazing in my E39 is pretty effective, then if I find it so much quieter than my Omega? My Omega is pretty windy though - probably needs the door seals replacing or the doors adjusting, and I made the mistake of fitting a cheap backbox that sounds like an earthquake, so a tidy one would be a lot quieter. Om nom Alpina V8 - sounds awesome. I guess I could swap out the double glazing from mine - no way i could ever pov it up and go back to single lousy glazing now

[Edited on 27/4/12 by Liam]

TimC

posted on 27/4/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Really nice! I miss my B10 3.2 a lot!

Furyous

posted on 27/4/12 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Dad used to have a 1997 540i back then. I was a bit too young to appreciate it beyond "fast BMW". I remember it being very nice, though. Then he briefly let me drive his 525i when I was 17. That was quite a step up from my 1993 1.4L Astra! I remember someone at my first job saying it must be very quiet on the motorway. It never really occurred to me until he said it but it was. Very smooth as well, even with the sport package. I've always wanted an E39 M5 but I've had insurance quotes around the £4,000-8,000 region, which put a stop to that idea.

The E39s are good, cheapish luxury these days.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.