Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Water Methanol Injection advice
T66

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Water Methanol Injection advice

My engine came with a Snow water methanol injection system, single nozzle spraying into the plenum. The header tank is below, but I am not sure why are there two tanks ? I would sooner use a smaller plastic tank.

They are not interconnected at all, and the smaller tank with two outlets has no drain. The systems I have read about generally use a plastic header style tank.

Reason I am installing it , I dont know how much the engine relies on this system to avoid detonation, so would sooner fit it and use it, than hole a piston, is the system likely to cause any issues at IVA time ?

cheers

metro6r4

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
i always thought plastic could be doselved by methanol
T66

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
The bits of reading Ive done, all the kits have a plastic bottle.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Snow_Performance/Engine/Water-Methanol_Systems//18675

scootz

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think the second tank has anything to do with the water / methanol system Ivan.

I reckon the builder has just fabbed the 2 tanks together due to space 'issues'.

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
The small tank has me intrigued, as it has no drain and doesnt have any oil contamination. Dont think I will need the huge tank, so it will get swapped for a smaller easier to fit in plastic jobby.

Or I just cut the smaller tank off.

[Edited on 26/4/12 by T66]

scootz

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Or just fit a small breather on one of the outlets and use it as your oil catch tank?

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 26/4/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Or just fit a small breather on one of the outlets and use it as your oil catch tank?

It will meet Mr Dremmel in the morning, might even clean the thing up.

Is there anyone running a water/meth setup who has IVA their car ?

Autosri

posted on 26/4/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
methanol corrodes alluminium but doesnt touch plastic i just bought a small window washer bottle i think its 1.2litres but i only use it with my nitrous so dont use much
T66

posted on 27/4/12 at 05:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Autosri
methanol corrodes alluminium but doesnt touch plastic i just bought a small window washer bottle i think its 1.2litres but i only use it with my nitrous so dont use much

I've got a golf expansion bottle which I fancied using.

Autosri

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Long as it has a breather hole I guess it makes no odds what bottle you use

I found the aquamist nozzles to give the nicest spray pattern I use a 0.3 mm nozzle with a 130 psi pump

T66

posted on 27/4/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Autosri
Long as it has a breather hole I guess it makes no odds what bottle you use

I found the aquamist nozzles to give the nicest spray pattern I use a 0.3 mm nozzle with a 130 psi pump

The engine I believe was built for a hillclimber, but Im not so sure as the tank is huge. Doesnt seem much point in hauling 3 litres of water/meth for 90 seconds.

The pump will get plumbed in, but I will hold off buying a tank till I know what space is left.

cheers

Antnicuk

posted on 27/4/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
do you have a pump /kit? I have a full cooling mist kit thats had very little use. It comes with a plastic tank that is specifically designed to accept the pump so you get the maximum space saving. I am looking for £250 as it has everything you need and although fitted to my kit car for about a year i never ran enough boost to activate it. Its basically like this but the tanks is the same one

http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisplay.aspx?pid=ShurTank

http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisplay.aspx?pid=250psidieselkit&feature_key=Diesel

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

T66

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk
do you have a pump /kit? I have a full cooling mist kit thats had very little use. It comes with a plastic tank that is specifically designed to accept the pump so you get the maximum space saving. I am looking for £250 as it has everything you need and although fitted to my kit car for about a year i never ran enough boost to activate it. Its basically like this but the tanks is the same one

http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisplay.aspx?pid=ShurTank

http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisplay.aspx?pid=250psidieselkit&feature_key=Diesel

Thanks Ant.

Yes I have the pump and related controller, Good offer though thank you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.