Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: eBay purchase - what to do?????
pewe

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
eBay purchase - what to do?????

Guys, I recently won an on-line auction for some suspension parts at a more than fair price for both parties (assuming they aren't leaking and are working OK).
By coincidence I'm in the vendor's area next week (100 miles from me) and we've agreed I'll collect them.
Trying to pay with Paypal there's carriage included.
I contacted the vendor and asked him to remove the carriage or let me have his Paypal email to send funds.
His response is that if I include the carriage (c.£15) he'll give me a £20 refund when I collect the items as "I could do with the funds in my Paypal account".
I haven't done business with this individual before but he has a similar number of feed-backs to me (100+ all positive) and he's being up front.
So what's the collectives opinion please?
Pay what he's asking but first obtain a collection address, insist on cash on collection, back away from the deal on the grounds he's altered our agreement .
In reality the carriage amount isn't much compared to the amount for the items - just call me cynical and/or cautious.
Opinions appreciated.
Thanks, Pewe10

big_wasa

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
On the of chance you dont make it next week (plans change) then if you have paid the postage its job done he can stick them in the post.
T66

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Pay with paypal, if he is a dick when you get there, or the goods are not as described, walk away....

Personally for the postage cost I would let him post them, that way you dont have the petrol cost of collecting, and like I said if its not what your after put a paypal dispute in.

Paypal doesnt get involved in seller slaver, it just pays you back.

PSpirine

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'd do it.. in my experience paypal is such a safety net for buyers that you can always get a refund if it goes wrong.

Alternatively, look at it this way - if for whatever reason something is fishy, you've paid for postage and if £15 is a negligible proportion of the purchase, then you'll get the bits sent to you!

I wouldn't worry too much. If it was a 0 feedback person or someone with negatives, with a crap description in broken english, my answer would be different..

*ETA: looks like I type pretty slowly compared to others!

[Edited on 28/4/12 by PSpirine]

bobthebuilder

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
i would just ask for a revised invoice without the postage.
it is simple to do , as i have done it for buyers before and if he is genuine it shouldnt be an issue.
i am also caucious when people ask for things like that.

Jon Ison

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
If your collecting why not just pay cash, to be honest I wouldn't personally let someone collect if they paid by paypal.
SeaBass

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yep don't get it - your collecting in person - pay with cash as Jon has said.

Also point out to him that it'll avoid the fee!

JC

pewe

posted on 29/4/12 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.
In fact I did ask for a revised invoice and/or pay cash but he asked for pyt incl. postage.
Given his feedback and the postage is a small % of the total I think I'll just pay it and see what happens when I collect on Wed.
If it goes t*ts-up I'll get Paypal involved.
Cheers, Pewe10

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.