Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New favourite tool
nick205

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
New favourite tool

Bought one of these a month or so ago and finally used it yesterday to change the oil on SWMBOs Alhambra. It is now my favourite garage tool

Bonnet up
Remove dip stick
Insert pump tube into dip stick tube
Pump a few times
Go and make a brew and get some biccies
All old oil now in pump (not a drop of oil anywhere else)
Remove pump tube
Refit dip stick
Remove filter housing using 2nd favourite tool
Remove old filter
Fit new filter
Replace filter housing
Fill with new oil
Check level
Pack up leaving old oil in the pump ready for next trip to the council tip

20 mins work, absolutely no mess, no removing sump covers, no scrabbling around on the floor.

Everyone needs one of these in their garage tool kit!

T66

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Far too simple - I much prefer the collection of old washing up bowls I keep tripping over in the garage, bang my head a few times, drop the sump plug and/or ratchet & socket in the oil.

Drain it into the old engine oil cans I trip over, then spill it everywhere, then spend 20 minutes cleaning up - simples

Bluemoon

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Quite too easy.. Oil changes must always be messy and cost at least one carpet from time to time..

Not sure I would like to use a pump for every oil change as I would worry that sludge is building up at the bottom of the sump (this may not be the case but I would still worry about it!).. Having said that making it easier would ensure a 6month change!

gottabedone

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
soooo, where did you get your "sump sucker" from?

still looks too easy!

Steve

andylancaster3000

posted on 7/5/12 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Think screwfix have them for about £50.
fullpint

posted on 7/5/12 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Great tool but knowing my luck I would end up losing a bit of the plastic tube and end up stripping the engine down to find it

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 7/5/12 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cost about £45 delivered from a marine chandlers.

No chance of losing the hose into the sump.

You can feel the hose touching the bottom of the sump and IMHO it gets at least as much if not more oil removed than draining from the sump plug. I might be inclined to removed the sump plug every other change to clean any particles from the magnet though it's still far easier and cleaner to suck the oil out first.

Too easy...! It just means you can get the job done quicker leaving more time for other things.

I'm looking for more things to suck the oil out of now

Slimy38

posted on 7/5/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I normally do oil changes with a warm engine to get it to flow better, can these cope with warm oil?
nick205

posted on 7/5/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I normally do oil changes with a warm engine to get it to flow better, can these cope with warm oil?

I did it just after a 30 mile drive with no problems at all. The oil was very warm coming up the tube, but the section of tube that goes in the engine is like brake cable outer - i.e. metal wound with a plastic outer sheath.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 7/5/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Looks a great bit of kit, I am going to buy one, I will miss droping the sump plug or washer in the drain tin then searching round for it with my hand in the hot oil though
femster87

posted on 7/5/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Looks a great bit of kit, I am going to buy one, I will miss droping the sump plug or washer in the drain tin then searching round for it with my hand in the hot oil though

Thought that only me

JoelP

posted on 7/5/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
How do you know that you have got the pipe to the lowest part of the sump? Ie that all old oil will come out?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

greed1

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I got one of THESE for my tintop best mod I've bought and there's still a chance to bump your head the plug would need to be in the side as it sticks out a little which a speed bump would be happy to rip off if it was on the bottom

[Edited on 7/5/12 by greed1]

Drive it stright sideways

PAUL FISHER

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
In true locoster style just found these cheaper ones on ebay, what do we think, should be ok for the odd oil change I think

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313&_nkw=6+Litre+Syphon+Fluid+Extractor+Pump+Diesel+Oil+Water+Transfer+GO+NEXT DAY+%C2%A33.99&_sacat=See-All-Categories

SteveWalker

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, none of these solve the problem of the stupid positioning of oil filters directly over part of the suspension, steering or exhaust, so that you cannot catch the oil held in the filter without it hitting whatever is below it and running along to pour off at numerous different points, making it impossible to catch at all! My old Rover 420 had the filter mounted vertically at the front - absolutely brilliant, you could actually change the oil, without pouring it everywhere, without even jacking the car up! The later 416 (Rover engined) had the filter right over the exhaust, against the bulkhead - oil everywhere and burnt hands from the exhaust!
hillbillyracer

posted on 7/5/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah the filter is usually the thing that makes most mess even with care it's not easy to have no spills on many engines but most of the modern cartridge type filters are designed so that although they may be in an awkward position they do self drain into the sump as they're slackened. You unscrew the filter cap but dont pull it out & as it unscrews it pulls the filter with it unplugging a drain to the sump & you leave it there a while to drain before removing it. It does mean you need to do the filter before draining the sump or at least before you put the bung back in/finish sucking it out or you're just dumping it among the new oil!
kipper

posted on 8/5/12 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
I visited a friend in the States a couple of years ago, We went to the local shopping mall where she pulled into a place that I thought was a car wash. It was a service bay where they took your keys and seviced the car while you shopped.
I hung around a while and saw them stick a pipe down the dipstick hole and sucked the oil out while a guy was in a pit under the car removed the filter, checked the brake pads for wear, and condition of the exhaust and any other things under the car.Filled up with new oil and the car was parked ready for the off. It was all over in about twenty mins.
What a great idea.You also recieved a report telling you of any thing found that may need action next time you went to the Mall.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

40inches

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Had one for about 6 years, don't work on SAAB's though
What they do work on, very well, is bleeding brake and clutch lines, seem to work when a pressure system doesn't

big-vee-twin

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
I am even more idle - I have one with an electric pump connect to the battery two minutes later job done, change the filter finished.

Got mine cos I got fed up with taking off the plastic liner/diffuser under the engine bay every time I changed the oil, best thing I ever bought for the car.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

owelly

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
The Peugeot V6 in my car has a dipstick tube designed to be used to suck out the oil. It has a fitting on the top to suit the slurper and it reaches into the lowest part of the sump. Oil out in about 2 minutes, filter off in another minute. I bought a £13 Silverline fluid extractor from Ebay and it's marvellous.

[Edited on 8/5/12 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 8/5/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Unfortunately, none of these solve the problem of the stupid positioning of oil filters directly over part of the suspension, steering or exhaust, so that you cannot catch the oil held in the filter without it hitting whatever is below it and running along to pour off at numerous different points, making it impossible to catch at all! My old Rover 420 had the filter mounted vertically at the front - absolutely brilliant, you could actually change the oil, without pouring it everywhere, without even jacking the car up! The later 416 (Rover engined) had the filter right over the exhaust, against the bulkhead - oil everywhere and burnt hands from the exhaust!

Certainly used to be a PITA, I always used to get a warm arm removing the filter on my older cars.

A lot of cars now use a replaceable filter element in a housing. On the Alhambra you simply pop off the plastic engine cover and the filter housing is located vertically at the front of the engine bay. Just slacken the top of the housing and it drains itself before you lift it out and drop it in a container - not a drop of oil spilt anywhere.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.