Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Powder coat repair advice needed.
StevieB

posted on 12/5/12 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Powder coat repair advice needed.

Hi all.

Not strictly se7en related, but the priciples are the same.

I have a Triumph Tiger 955i which has a bit of a problem with the powder coating on the engine - it's peeling off rapidly and the alloy is furring up as well.

I started working on getting the loose stuff off with a wire brush put it keeps getting worse and worse - at this rate the engine will be down to the bare alloy in no time at all. I'm happy to pop the engine covers off and get them media blasted and powder coated (or maybe use paint to save the problem happening again in the future).

But the main block is a problem - I don't fancy breaking the engine down to get it all properly re-finished and was hoping to basically take off the big chunks and touch in with plastikote.

Does anyone have any recommendations or alternative techniques I could try before I get too far into the task.

A quick pic of the problem:

Cheers

Steve

norm007

posted on 12/5/12 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
There is a firm on Sewards industrial estate at Wiggington that do powder coating.

Might be worth a ride down on bike and see what they say???

Never used em myself but know a couple o people that have had wheels done and are happy with results

[Edited on 12/5/2012 by norm007]

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peteff

posted on 12/5/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Get them blasted off and etched and primed then do them satin black. Powder coat will only go again.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.