Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: C20XE oil leak
jaik

posted on 13/5/12 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
C20XE oil leak

So, it looks like there's an oil leak somewhere on my car (had it two days and I'm already breaking it ). After driving the underside of the sump and most things behind it are misted with oil. I've not had a chance to look at it properly yet, but judging by the location, I think it might just be leaking at the oil filter.

Are there any known oil leak locations on these engines? Crank end seal or oil pump are the only obvious possibilities that spring to my mind.

bigfoot4616

posted on 13/5/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
from what i remember the sumps where well known for leaking. i seem to remember on mine swapping the 2 cork gaskets and plate to one from the 8 valve engine which used a one piece rubber gasket. a small modification to the plate was needed for clearance.
jaik

posted on 13/5/12 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'll check that out. Need to clean everything up first else I'll have no chance
ickle

posted on 13/5/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
i have just sorted mine out this week
exact same area wasnt sure if it was sump or oil filter
turned out to be the front crank seal
not to bad a job to do
i was told to check the spacer the seal runs on is prone for wear
but all i did was turn the spacer round didnt show wear and put in new seal on crank and cams

touch wood all good so far and it would have shown up by now before this

regards stuart

laptoprob

posted on 14/5/12 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Rear crank shaft oil seal!!! Ive had 4 engines in my Tiger and only one didnt leak.

The sump can also be a pain if its been bumped/nudged. I banged mine last week as it bottomed out on a bumpy road and had to take the sump of and reseal it as it was throwing oil all over the place.

jaik

posted on 14/5/12 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Rear as in the flywheel end? I'm pretty it's not that from where the oil is, if anything cranky it's the front seal.
laptoprob

posted on 14/5/12 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaik
Rear as in the flywheel end? I'm pretty it's not that from where the oil is, if anything cranky it's the front seal.

Yes at flywheel end. Take the sump off next if i was you.

ickle

posted on 14/5/12 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
I replaced rear crank seal when engine was out
But it was my front that was leaking where you are talking about

Stuart

jaik

posted on 14/5/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I gave the underside a clean up and ran it for 15 minutes… not a drop. Looking at where the oil is I'm thinking it's the front edge of the sump that's the culprit. I'll be recruiting a friend who's a little better with the spanners than I am to help me get to the bottom of it
jaik

posted on 14/5/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, almost forgot. When I took the timing belt cover off I noticed it's been rubbing on a pulley.

Looks like it's done all the rubbing it's going to but I'm a bit intrigued as to why the clearance wasn't right, it seemed to be fitted with all the right bits.

ickle

posted on 14/5/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ye mine was same wouldn't leak when idling
I even took the front pulley off and drove round the block still wouldn't show
but I was convinced it wasn't the sump gasket
And it has paid off done a couple o good runs and all dry ;-)

Stuart

laptoprob

posted on 15/5/12 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaik
Oops, almost forgot. When I took the timing belt cover off I noticed it's been rubbing on a pulley.

Looks like it's done all the rubbing it's going to but I'm a bit intrigued as to why the clearance wasn't right, it seemed to be fitted with all the right bits.

Theres usually the little alloys towers+rubbers to hold it out but i ditched mine totally

jaik

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I don't like to rush these things I finally got round to taking the sump off and replacing the gasket this evening. There may be another leak elsewhere on the engine, but given the condition of the top gasket (there are two sandwiching a baffle plate on the XE) I'd be very surprised if I've not fixed one.

I've replaced the baffle plate with one from an 8v C20NE engine as recommended by the Vauxhall forums, as they come with rubber gaskets moulded on which are meant to be much better than the naff cork ones the XE uses. It needs modifying a little as there's a tab that would interfere with the ARP rod bolt heads if left alone, but it just needs flattening down, then the whole lot fitting with slightly shorter bolts.

I only finished torqueing everything up at 11pm, so I'll wait 'til tomorrow to get some oil in and see how quickly it all ends up on the floor

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.