Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Busa water pump outlet identification
Custardpants

posted on 26/5/12 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Busa water pump outlet identification

Pm'd a few forum users about this but asking on here too - I have just replaced my water pump as part of my dry sump install. What does the small hose outlet do on the stock pump? Looks like a water primer to me... Can I just blank the hose off which goes from this to the engine?

noc231073

posted on 26/5/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I tought it was a primer too to be honest
GreigM

posted on 26/5/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Its a bypass to allow some water to flow regardless of the status of the thermostat. If you are replacing with an electric pump just blank off the inlet on the engine, however you may have to drill a hole in the thermostat or remove it completely as you need some flow at all times (to get a reading on the temp gauge) and on some cars (including mine) having the thermostat in place didn't allow enough coolant to flow so I had to remove it completely.
SJL

posted on 26/5/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
As Greig has said just drill a 5mm hole in the stat first. Otherwise you can just gut the internals from the stat if that doesn't work for you.

I went to a bigger electric pump on mine as I used the SBD slave as well and now just have a 5mm hole in mine. In its original config the small electric pump couldn't keep up with the demand at high revs even with a gutted stat.

Hang on a sec though how are driving the DS pump are you using the Westfield one that mounts on the front?

Custardpants

posted on 27/5/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks, i'll plumb it into my new line so it continues to function, albeit with the new EWP.

It's the full SBD setup by the way - should be finally ready to try this week. What running temperature do you guys recommend? The davies controller is stock set to 85 degrees C...

SJL

posted on 27/5/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Doh I misread your post and didn't see that you had removed the pump - sorry

On mine the pipe from header tank goes to the outlet on the stat housing

I couldn't use the top bleed on my rad as with the pipe on it was too close to the nosecone.

I tried a Davies Craig pump controller but my rectifier is a bit too good and it produces 14.7 volts the controller goes into test mode (runs all the time) at 14.5 volts so I don't bother with it.

What pump are SBD recommending to use now as the small one they supplied me couldn't cut it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.