Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bust Snap on Ratchet
Minicooper

posted on 2/6/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Bust Snap on Ratchet

Hello,
I have broken my 15" 1/2" drive ratchet taking off a mercedes wheelstud, the innards are knackered now, it is not worn at all, how do I get it fixed/replaced under the snap-on lifetime warranty?
I originally bought the ratchet with a load of other stuff about 20 years ago from a snap-on dealer in South Shields, I now live in Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, I have looked on Google to see if there is a local snap-on dealer franchise that can deal with this on my behalf but not having much luck at the moment

Cheers
David

rusty nuts

posted on 2/6/12 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Find a friendly local garage and ask if they have a Snap On dealer who will replace the innards. IIRC ratchets are only warranted for 5 years?
spiderman

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ratchets should only be used after breaking the initial bond between the stud and wheel otherwise they can fail. Use a breaker bar, (clue is in the name) first then use the ratchet to unwind the stud.

[Edited on 2/6/12 by spiderman]

Spider

big_wasa

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you have a rep your trading with I find the waranty is worthless. Undoing wheel nuts with a ratchet isnt fair use any way so again I doubt they would warant it.(yes I know every one does it instead of fetching the breaker bar) I would look for a rebuild kit.

And if you find one let me know as I have a 3/8 stubby that has needed doing for years

Minicooper

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Find a friendly local garage and ask if they have a Snap On dealer who will replace the innards. IIRC ratchets are only warranted for 5 years?

I know some tools like electrical meters/ mig welders have limited guarantees, but all hand tools have lifetime warranties, well that was I was told when I was deciding whether or not to purchase them, unless of course you abuse them

I don't even know if there is a service kit available for a ratchet 20 years old

Cheers
David

big_wasa

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the model number ?
Minicooper

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Unless you have a rep your trading with I find the waranty is worthless. Undoing wheel nuts with a ratchet isnt fair use any way so again I doubt they would warant it.(yes I know every one does it instead of fetching the breaker bar) I would look for a rebuild kit.

And if you find one let me know as I have a 3/8 stubby that has needed doing for years

They used to make the same ratchet up to 24", so I expect it to be able to cope with a 12mm wheelstud, I would of used my snap-on breaker bar but I broke that years ago!

I haven't got a six foot piece of scaffolding bar on it, I shouldn't be able to break it with one armed pull as it where, but we will see.

Cheers
David

Minicooper

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Whats the model number ?

S715

Cheers
David

big_wasa

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
any friends state side that could post cheap ?

Only a tenner but the postage is daft. picture gives part number though.

Minicooper

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
For information I removed the wheelstuds with the mercedes toolkit supplied wrench, the freebie wrench supplied was only about 10" long but was able to remove the wheelstuds without incident

Cheers
David

big_wasa

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
p!ss taking T@@ts 10 dollars or 30 quid

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/searchLN.asp?partno=RKRA711&searchTrnsfr=true&search_type=Part&store=uk

MikeRJ

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
For information I removed the wheelstuds with the mercedes toolkit supplied wrench,

Do you mean wheel bolts? Studs are usually a press fit into the hub.

Minicooper

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
For information I removed the wheelstuds with the mercedes toolkit supplied wrench,

Do you mean wheel bolts? Studs are usually a press fit into the hub.

Yes that's what I mean, working on my mini done that!

Cheers
David

Minicooper

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
p!ss taking T@@ts 10 dollars or 30 quid

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/searchLN.asp?partno=RKRA711&searchTrnsfr=true&search_type=Part&store=uk

Hopefully I won't have to buy one but it's nice to know they are available, where is the link for the uk option £30?

Cheers
David

[Edited on 2/6/12 by Minicooper]

big_wasa

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 2/6/12 by big_wasa]

Minicooper

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

[Edited on 2/6/12 by big_wasa]

Even though that link says uk it comes up with the $10 option, how did you work out that is the right service kit?

Cheers
David

big_wasa

posted on 2/6/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I looked it up on there website.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/objects/7800/RepairKits.pdf

big_wasa

posted on 2/6/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
It opens the uk option and in £ for me.

Go to there home page, choose uk option at the bottom of the page and search for item code.

jollygreengiant

posted on 2/6/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
My wife says if you ring 01536 413800 that will put you through to snap-on who will be able to advise you who your 'local' dealer is and possibly give you his mobile number for contact.

Why 'my wife says', well its because she works for Snap-On in their repairs department. But DON'T tell everyone.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

blakep82

posted on 2/6/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
you can buy ratchet repair kits in halfords, while i wouldn't assume that ratchets are all the same inside, they don't seem to say they're only for certain types... they just say like '1/2" drive ratchet repair kit" or something. have a look, you might be in luck!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Minicooper

posted on 2/6/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It opens the uk option and in £ for me.

Go to there home page, choose uk option at the bottom of the page and search for item code.

Thanks for the help

Cheers
David

Steve126

posted on 9/6/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I had a problem with a snap on ratchet and wasn't sure how to get it fixed without spending a load of money, but my Dad solved the problem when he saw a snap on van stop outside a garage. He spoke to the driver who asked what ratchet it was and where we live, he then ordered the necessary parts and told my Dad when he would next visit a local garage. A few days later he fixed it free of charge.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.