Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CBR1000RR Oil Pressures / Temps
enginearin

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
CBR1000RR Oil Pressures / Temps

Hello All,

Had a much more successful day out in the car last week. Just wanted to get some advice on oil pressures / temps and the acceptable limits.

Fireblade manual states 71psi @ 80 degC however i'm sure that this reduces as things heat up.

Ive got the following two logs from an afternoon session as the oil heats up. The first shows pressure of about 60-65psi @ 98degC and the second shows 55-60psi at 105degC. Are these about normal? what temps are you guys seeing and what is the lower limit for acceptable oil pressure at high revs and maximum temperature you would be comfortable seeing for the 05 Fireblade engine?

I've noticed that the 08 Fireblade engine runs into the 90psi range when cold and drops to the 80psi range when hot on some RGB race cars (from their telemetry on youtube videos. e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq5ehIxjFTY ) Is this a characteristic of the 08 engine or are there different pressure relief valves availble for the Fireblade Engines?

I'm just a bit paranoid about not having maintained oil level correctly causing drop in oil pressure... after looking at the logs, i went out to the car and have convinced myself that there is a 'ticking' noise from the engine at idle that wasn't there before!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

BobM

posted on 2/6/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about it too much, 80-90psi is pretty atypical. My ZX10R is around 80 when it's cold but once the oil's up to temp it's around the 60 mark obviously with dips when the engine revs drop. At Cadwell last Saturday my oil temp got to 119-120c and the pressure was down to about 40 at 6k rpm and 65 at 12500rpm.

Not very Locost but very BEC

enginearin

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, 80-90psi is pretty atypical. My ZX10R is around 80 when it's cold but once the oil's up to temp it's around the 60 mark obviously with dips when the engine revs drop. At Cadwell last Saturday my oil temp got to 119-120c and the pressure was down to about 40 at 6k rpm and 65 at 12500rpm.

Thanks Bob... that is reassuring!

I guess you are on frequent oil changes with oil temps hitting 120degC? I thought mine was pretty well controlled only getting to 110degC after 25 mins on track , until SteveM said his "oil temp was constant at around 92, with the oil pressure around 70-75psi with the revs above 9K" on the RGB forum.

I'll do an oil change this week and get the next trackday booked asap. Started to get to grips with the car properly by the end of the day... it took a while to get confident that nothing was gonna fall off, after cracking a brake disc first time out!

Cheers

Tim

BobM

posted on 2/6/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enginearinI guess you are on frequent oil changes with oil temps hitting 120degC? I thought mine was pretty well controlled only getting to 110degC after 25 mins on track , until SteveM said his "oil temp was constant at around 92, with the oil pressure around 70-75psi with the revs above 9K" on the RGB forum.

Couple of times a season, it doesn't usually get up to 120, it was a pretty warm day. A decent oil should cope with 120 especially when it's only for the last 5 minutes of a 15 minute race. I keep meaning to get around to ducting in my oil cooler to make it a bit more effective. Getting oil coolers to work is always going to be a bit more difficult on a mid-engined car.

Not very Locost but very BEC

enginearin

posted on 3/6/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM
quote:
Originally posted by enginearinI guess you are on frequent oil changes with oil temps hitting 120degC? I thought mine was pretty well controlled only getting to 110degC after 25 mins on track , until SteveM said his "oil temp was constant at around 92, with the oil pressure around 70-75psi with the revs above 9K" on the RGB forum.

Couple of times a season, it doesn't usually get up to 120, it was a pretty warm day. A decent oil should cope with 120 especially when it's only for the last 5 minutes of a 15 minute race. I keep meaning to get around to ducting in my oil cooler to make it a bit more effective. Getting oil coolers to work is always going to be a bit more difficult on a mid-engined car.

I'll have to find my own way on frequency of oil changes i think... there seems to be a large disparity of between when people do oil changes. I was talking to the chap who bought Colin Chapman's old Fury last week... he said that Colin changed the clutch after every couple of meetings and had stacks of 'part worn' friction plates in his spares box from Colin. Each to their own i suppose.

Thanks for the help

Tim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.