Board logo

Plastic bubble
I predict a Riot - 14/6/12 at 08:40 PM

Can I draw on the extensive knowledge of the collective?

I need to make a small plastic bubble. Well half a bubble actually. It preferably needs to look like half a flying saucer with a flat ring of material around the circumference so that I can bond it in place.

I need it to cover a cam position sensor that just protrudes through the J16s engine cover. It only needs to be about 50 - 60mm in diameter and preferably in BRG or black.

I have looked all over and found nothing that fits the bill so I have resolved to try and make one.

What type of plastic could I use and do I mould it? With heat and a vacuum maybe?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Adrian

Toprivetguns - 14/6/12 at 08:48 PM

This ?

tow ball cap grease cover towing bar BLACK plastic LID | eBay

I predict a Riot - 14/6/12 at 09:08 PM

Good thinking Andy.

Any more ideas?

tegwin - 14/6/12 at 09:17 PM

Could try and make one?

Get a piece of wood, cut a 50-60mm hole in it... get another piece of wood and drill a small hole and attach a compressed air gun..

Lay a piece of suitable plastic over the large hole.. heat gently with a blow lamp... once it starts to go floppy drop the other peice of wood on top... push hard and squeeze some air in....

DIY blow moulding at its finest :-)

Toprivetguns - 14/6/12 at 09:20 PM

Cut a ping pong ball in half and spray it black ?

mookaloid - 14/6/12 at 09:22 PM

could you do anything with this?

Set Plastic Ice Ball Cube Tray Mold Maker Drink Party | eBay

iank - 14/6/12 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
One of these
http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p-245-re-usable-mould-76-dia-x-35mm-dome.aspx

Though I'd be using it as a mould to make a fibreglass version which would integrate into the engine cover better.

I predict a Riot - 14/6/12 at 09:35 PM

That looks just the job, but £8 odd postage!

bi22le - 14/6/12 at 10:12 PM

1) Choose any ball, or object that offers the desired inside dia.
2) stretch duck tape over it untill fully covered
3) purchase and layer some fibreglass over the duck tape
4) Filler and sand
5) spray desired colour
6) FIT!

Other additional points:

You can change the shape slightly if you wanted to give it a more desired or areo look
You could add extra flats or flanges to aid fitment to the bonnet panel
You could cover it in vinyl to give it a quick and easy finish instead of a weeks worth of spraying and sanding.

Good luck

Biz

Chippy - 14/6/12 at 10:23 PM

As this is going to be fitted to an engine, which I assume will get better than warm, ("ie" F hot), would it not be better to make it from metal, as surely plastic or even GRP is going to melt and deform. IMHO Ray

I predict a Riot - 14/6/12 at 10:28 PM

No it's not to be mounted directly to the engine.

I think that I am going to give it a go in fibreglass, the same material as the engine cover/hood.

There seems to be lots of cheap small kits on the bay. I am going to order one and give it a try over the weekend.

Thanks for the help guys.

Please consider this thread closed..

Phil.J - 15/6/12 at 06:57 AM

Kinder egg?

40inches - 15/6/12 at 07:38 AM

I have a small GRP teardrop shaped one, teardrop 170mm long x 90wide and around 25mm inside depth.
Can send it for £7.50 posted.

iank - 15/6/12 at 02:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by I predict a Riot
That looks just the job, but £8 odd postage!

The description says they'll post it for £1.25 if you call them (still a little steep, but not silly money), they are one of the top two online suppliers of fibreglass so if you ordered the fibreglass and resin from them you'd spread the postage over the whole order.

twybrow - 15/6/12 at 03:37 PM

Take a mould off of one of these......?

I predict a Riot - 16/6/12 at 08:27 PM

I've been to Newark today and I hoped to finally find the bonnet bubble I need but nada. So in frustration I thought I would try the bay. I typed in bulge into the search bar and this is what I got....,,

Black Sexy Boxershorts Bulge Push Up Out Pouch Enhancing 3D | eBay

I give up!!