Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4age trd cams ?
striker-4age

posted on 17/6/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
4age trd cams ?

hi there

has anyone fitted trd cams to there 1.6 16v 4age lump ?

what are the best ones for road use ?

thanks

striker-4age

R1 STRIKER

posted on 17/6/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Only used raws trac pac 1 cams which with a gsxr t/b conversion made 161 bhp. Just looking at building another striker now and looking into other cams etc. Looking for the magic 200bhp with this one which I know is a lot from a 1600 but its that or a big old duratec!
striker-4age

posted on 17/6/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
that sounds quite good how much was the stuff ?

strikers are the only way forward

Canada EH!

posted on 18/6/12 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
That's Formula Atlantic HP, very expensive and not at all streetable
Dopdog

posted on 18/6/12 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
you could also go for the silvertop 20v as an option, with a supercharger you will get over 200bhp. It also comes as standard with throttle bodies.
R1 STRIKER

posted on 18/6/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure how much they were, it was a long time ago now. Think raw may still offer them if you try them.

From memory formula atlantics were about 240bhp. Won't ever get to that! I know of a few getting on towards 200bhp and not bad to drive at all. I remember the same being said about bike engines but always found mine very easy and took it over to france a few times.

I know it would be very costly though and I'm pretty undecided between the 4age and duratec.

Don't really want to go the supercharged root. Don't get me wrong , they make some mega power. Would just prefer n/a.

striker-4age

posted on 18/6/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
yes i like the 4age as a n/a it loves to rev and was just thinking what to do next for some more grunt i already have gsxr t/b's.

what have other people done to get abit more grunt ?

many thanks

striker-4age

JimSpencer

posted on 19/6/12 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I'm assuming here we're after sheer performance, not bothered about 'relaxed cruising' and that sort of thing?

If so then the one in the avatar is in this spec:-

It has Weber 40's (I would think, ITB's will be the same) and TracPac 1 a bit of flow work on the head & mainfolds matched to ports, ARP rod bolts & balanced, rev limit to 8700, delivers peak power of 175 at about 8.2 ish, you can then rev through peak power and hence keep it in the power band.

Has a Pace / Cougar Engineering dry sump system for reliability (and ground clearance!) as had major oil pressure issues even with a baffled big wing sump before that was done.

Other than that never taken it any further as it's then very expensive £'s per pony.

You can rapidly get to a point where an Atlantic engine detuned a bit would make more sense - been there worked that out!

But

Do gear it right; -
Assuming it's got a 'Long First Close Ratio' box in it - if it hasn't then do this before spending a penny more on the engine.. Then;-
Even with the set-up above it'll not hit the rev limiter in 5th, so make use of the power you've got by making sure you've access to all of it before you hit the aero 'wall' which would be a 4.7:1 diff ratio on 185/60/13 or similar circumfrence tyres.

This will make things busy - but very quick..

striker-4age

posted on 19/6/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
hi jim

no mate i do want it to be nice on the road but just want a bit more poke so i thought that cams would be the way forward ?

thanks

striker-4age

cs3tcr

posted on 19/6/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
In my old car i had a small port head, 294 adv duration cams (8.9mm lift), twin 40 DCOE's and Megajolt ignition. It went very well, and was very streetable. In order to pass emissions testing here in Vancouver, i had to swap out the cams and go back to stock ones, and from what i remember it ran nicer low down, but once up in the rev range it sucked. So, the longer duration/higher lift cams did make a difference with my engine.
Panda

posted on 20/6/12 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
If you do some google fu on the ae86 or hachiroku you should find info galore I'm sure I've seen an 86 with the milder cams running 180ish with head work

Because Race Car

JimSpencer

posted on 20/6/12 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by striker-4age
hi jim

no mate i do want it to be nice on the road but just want a bit more poke so i thought that cams would be the way forward ?

thanks

striker-4age

Hi

The TracPac 1 setup will certainly be fine for road use, they're not overly wild and it'll still pull from low rev's quite happily.
I would still consider balancing it and adding rod bolts though - much smoother and would give piece of mind plus the rev band if you want it.
The rest of it then comes down to your preference on how the car's going to be used

bi22le

posted on 20/6/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have been doing some heavy research into this subject recently as long term I want to be getting some good power from my 4age.

If you want to stay N\A your not going to beat a blacktop basically. They make a modest 150BHP in the stock form. Add high flow exhaust, intake and a remap and you should be expecting to see 160bhp. I guess this is where my BT is currently sitting.

I am planning on swapping the rods and pistons to Red top ones as they are stronger,can handle big power and lower CR. Get the head flowed and ARP bolts on head and rods.

Then fit an Eaton M45 SC from a Cooper S with all required gubbins.

This is essentially what RAW are offering as a SC pack and Justin (Bimbleuk) on here had a silvertop rolling roaded to 267BHP with a Rotrex. If you search on you tube for rotrex striker there is the id of the rolling road. That is actually my car but I now have a BT in it. I think Dopdog brought that engine package??

I will be aiming for around 250.

There are people in NZ that have got 300+BHP from stock engines with big turbos.

Lots of info out there, you just have to do lots of reading.

Oh and as a side line, the general thoughts are that CatCams are very good with 4ages

[Edited on 20/6/12 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.