Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: My first post - introducing my Cosworth powered project
madda

posted on 18/6/12 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
My first post - introducing my Cosworth powered project

My name is Joe and I am from South Wales, I have built many high power cars but never ventured into the world of kitcars before. I hope it is not a move I regret. So far it's been an emotional 24 hours. I sold my Mx5 Turbo and this now sits in the garage in its place. I will really miss the Mx5 but once this is up to scratch I hope it will more than fill the gap! I am not very well briefed on Ford stuff but have researched enough to know this is a good specification and as it is pulling along such little weight it isn’t stressed therefore I really hope it’s relatively trouble free.

Up until a few weeks ago, as you would expect it has always been garaged, but after being bought by a arsehole trader it has been living outside under a cover. Combine this with the rain we have had and it wasn’t really a surprise that some electrical gremlins arose upon collection.

Firstly the immoboliser had taken on some water, and the battery had gone flat so the car refused to start. This was resolved and she then fired and idled very smoothly with a sweet sounding engine.

Thinking we had sorted it I pulled off the drive to be greeted by lots of pops and bangs, and then she stalled. We jumped it and again she idled lovely but as soon as it came under load it struggled. Despite 4 hours of fault tracing we couldn’t fix it and I ended up coming home like this after things got quite heated with the seller.

Not all is lost though I have been in touch with the guy who built it and he has some good references. The spec is confirmed as follows:

Engine
Fully rebuilt Ford Cosworth YB engine (8k miles since build)
Bottom end Lightened and balanced with overbore to 2.1
ARP bolts
Group A head gasket and head bolts
4x4 Cosworth exhaust manifold
New T34 with 0.48 exhaust housing
2.5inch exhaust
803 injectors
Stage 3 chip
3b MAP sensor
BD10 cams with vernier pulleys
4x4 intercooler
Bailey dump valve
3core custom radiator
Group A fuel pump with swirl pot fuel tank
High capacity baffled sump

Transmission
T5 gearbox rebuilt 8K miles ago.
New Cosworth clutch 6k miles ago.
7.5 Cosworth lsd rebuilt 8K miles ago.
High ratio clutch pedal modification

Braking
Cosworth 4 pot calipers with 285mm front discs and 275mm rears
Bias bar on brakes
Braided lines

Chassis
Front hubs re machined. Quicker steering response and uber lock
Avo height and damping adjustable shocks
Rollbar forms part of the chassis
BK Racing 15" wheels
Toyo rubber

Interior
Cobra Monaco seats
Sabelt harnesses
Caerbont / Smiths gauge set
Clifford Alarm/Immobiliser

Some pics of it after a wet ride home:

The initial plan was to use it for a weekend at Blyton Park and maybe the rest of the summer as she is before taking it off the road to be dismantled and rebuilt, tidying up bolts, getting bits powder coated etc as needed, but given I hate anything unreliable the wiring is going to have to be tidied up and possibly redone sooner rather than later to stop any issues going forward.

There are LOTS of styling choices which need changing on the car, but I think all the mechanicals are there and in good condition. Hopefully it will be worth the effort and I won't regret parting with the 5.

Any old school Ford nuts in the house? Any advice, guidance, knowledge of the car would be massively appreciated.

[Edited on 18/6/12 by madda]

designer

posted on 18/6/12 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Is it a Robin Hood 2B? Looks like it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madda

posted on 18/6/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I think so.....

Wishbones etc have been uprated etc, I am told by the original builder, Mark Burley @ MB Motorsport that a lot of the stuff Robin Hood supplied needed beefing up.

snapper

posted on 18/6/12 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I would sift also joining the Robin Hood owners club
RHOCaR
All the info you could want, a big club and many local club meets

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

madda

posted on 18/6/12 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Snapper, will do
Toprivetguns

posted on 18/6/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
A good bit of TLC will sort her out

Welcome and Good luck !

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

wilkingj

posted on 18/6/12 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Fistly, Welcome to the Nuthouse. You have joined the right forum for help and ideas, on all sorts of things!

Could you put your location in your profile, as it helps people when offering bits or help, or if you are selling or wanting help etc.
That looks a fine bit of kit. I am sure you will have it all up and running soon.

A cutionary word... Take it VERY steady for the first few months, as these Kit cars can bite back and sometimes very hard indeed. They dont drive like normal cars, so learn how yours drives before pushing it too hard. We dont want to hear about you having a summer rebuild project after having an altercation with something on the road. It happens from time to time, and usually with people who are not used to the vagaries of Kit cars.
The are great fun, but you need to undestand how it drives and reacts.

A Cosworth engine with 300bhp + Rear Wheel drive can lead to some interesting driving, and watch out for those brown trouser moments!

Have fun, and plenty of pictures please... We like Pictures!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 18/6/12 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Best duct that intake away from all the hot air !!!

Enjoy

TAZZMAXX

posted on 18/6/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
This was on ebay wasn't it? The guy who was selling it was called Mark so was he not the original builder? I was half interested in it as it was just round the corner from me but I was abroad the day it sold and the listing was a bit Billy Bullshitter in my opinion. Hope the gremlins get sorted as it could be a real hoot to drive.
madda

posted on 18/6/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TAZZMAXX
This was on ebay wasn't it? The guy who was selling it was called Mark so was he not the original builder? I was half interested in it as it was just round the corner from me but I was abroad the day it sold and the listing was a bit Billy Bullshitter in my opinion. Hope the gremlins get sorted as it could be a real hoot to drive.

The Mark who had it listed was, yes, a bit of an arse to be honest.

He is basically a driveway trader and he bought it because it was cheap. I have done my own research, not relying on anything he said and to be honest, given the spec he undersold the car.....I just wish he didnt have it for a week to leave in the rain!

Sum of the parts is where it needs to be so the risk of buying it was minimal although the whole thing did turn into a bit of an ordeal.

I will be uncovering all the car, warts and all. I may even get it back to Mark Burley () who IS the Mark who built it so he can confirm what has been messed with since it left his ownership.

[Edited on 18/6/12 by madda]www.mbmotorsport.eu

[Edited on 18/6/12 by madda]

leeswesty

posted on 18/6/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
welcome mate where in S Wales are you i am in caerphilly

Live life to the max

Stott

posted on 18/6/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
and Im in Ponty, and I've got a Robin Hood
leeswesty

posted on 19/6/12 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
HI stott is that car the one robin from caerphilly done in your profile pic

Live life to the max

Stott

posted on 19/6/12 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah it is. You know him don't you.

I know where you live, just round the corner from him, he was on about your westy the other day and I said that your on here.

leeswesty

posted on 19/6/12 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Yes mate when its done i hope to do Llandow

Live life to the max

Stott

posted on 19/6/12 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Cool, let me know when it's looking finished and we can all go down for a mooch, how far off is it?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.