Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The stress of building a kit car...
Twin40

posted on 28/6/12 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
The stress of building a kit car...

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but it certainly annoyed me! So thought i would share...

Last weekend i managed to get the busa engine ready to be fitted into the chassis, so i bolted on the engine cradle to the motor and lifted it in.

Description
Description

To my amazement, none of the chassis bolt holes lined up, at first i thought we had done something wrong, but after 3hours of 'adjustment' we found that the engine cradle doesn't line up wit the chassis at all!

And to top it off, my £1500 dry sump also hits the bottom chassis rail. arrgghh

So to avoid that we have to slightly angle the motor, and now the cradle lines up even worse.

So i'm making my own one now.

why is nothing ever simple and straightforward!?!

Rant over.

T66

posted on 28/6/12 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I've sickened myself with mine, haven't been in the garage for 3 weeks.

Holidays shortly so it will be another couple of weeks.

big_wasa

posted on 28/6/12 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Some of that welding is only diy standard aswell
Toprivetguns

posted on 28/6/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Can I ask politely who fabricated the engine cradle for you ?

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

BenB

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look like there's enough penetration on the welds there. They look like stuck-on cuckoo poo type welds.
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I think you should send it back and get a replacement or refund, send them the pictures too and mention it's on the forum

[Edited on 28/6/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JekRankin

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
How frustrating. Sadly, it seems there is a real problem with quality of components from some suppliers in this industry. I would send the cradle right back to whoever made it for a full refund.

I had similar issues with the engine mounts (and many of the other components) BGH Geartech supplied me - they were badly made and ill fitting. I had to chop them up and remake most of them. Dealing with an incompetent kit supplier can cause huge amounts of stress and frustration - I hope its just a one off and the rest of the parts in your kit are better made.

Jek

pauladamss

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem fitting my engine, took me all day most holes didnt line up.
Twin40

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns

This was supplied by MK with the chassis.

i could chase up for a replacement, but i probably still won't be happy with it - so i'll make my own.

its just the time thats wasted that really bugs me, i only get one day a weekend to do this stuff. Ah well its a lesson learned i guess (first ever kit car) , check the engine fits before anything else!

cheers.

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/6/12 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I would still mention it too them cos if you don't this may not be the last post with one of these not fitting

my MK stuff years ago all was quite well made, I'm suprised they have done that bad

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr C

posted on 28/6/12 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
I've sickened myself with mine, haven't been in the garage for 3 weeks.

Holidays shortly so it will be another couple of weeks.

These companies that send out substandard goods do not realise the stress and grief this causes, especially when you have a considerable amount of money tied up in what's supposed to be a quality product. their approach to customer don't care is right up there with cowboy builders, dodgy double glazing salesman and high pressure estate agents.

I hear "it'll be worth it in the end," unfortunately nothings worth this levels of stress and aggro, it taints the whole experience.

Unfortunately there is more poor companies than good, if they did only two things different things would improve massively

1. make sure the product does what is says on the tin

and

2. provide the product as agreed, don't make empty promises about delivery dates. or bullsh!t excuses.

I kept thinking it'll get better, though overall it hasn't been a good experience, people such as Russ and Eddie have helped tremendously to remind me there are people out there who genuinely care and want to do things well for their customers.

(Eddie I still owe you that big drink, I haven't forgotten)

If I was to do another project, which is doubtful, I would have little or no expectations and if there are good experiences along the way, well they will be a bonus.

All the best with the car

[Edited on 28/6/12 by Mr C]

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

omega 24 v6

posted on 28/6/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with big wasa on this one. JEEEEEEEZUz them welds look poor to say the least. Question is, what is out?? the chassis or the cradle ( which should fit your chassis.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

bi22le

posted on 28/6/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Makes me very glad that I brought my car second hand pre built. It costs less and lets someone else loose their mind over building it.

If you want to build a car. Buy second hand then dismantle, recondition and rebuild it to your spec!

I hope the rest of your build goes well. MK seem to be getting kicked about recently. I hope their quality and customer service picks up soon, they are a big player in this industry and need to set an example.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

bobinspain

posted on 28/6/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twin40
quote:

i could chase up for a replacement, but i probably still won't be happy with it - so i'll make my own.

its just the time thats wasted that really bugs me, i only get one day a weekend to do this stuff. Ah well its a lesson learned i guess (first ever kit car) , check the engine fits before anything else!

cheers.

Plus ca change, plus c'est plus la meme chose Clive. (malheureusement).

[Edited on 29/6/12 by bobinspain]

Davegtst

posted on 28/6/12 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same problem with my hayabusa cradle too (along with many other faults). I had to bend it into position with a block of wood and a lump hammer to get it close enough to fit! It was 90 quid for that bit of wrongly made metal too. When i raised this with MK i was told by Phil it wasn't possible to be wrong as they were made in a jig and basically get stuffed. My indy R has caused a huge ammount of stress and pretty much all of it has come from MK's poor workmanship and lies.
JekRankin

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Mr C, I couldn't agree with you more.

Cowboy kit companies need to face up to their responsibility to provide goods which are fit for purpose and delivered on time. Instead, some seem to be in the habit of taking orders under lead times they have no hope of delivering upon and bodging parts together with a sloppy 'that'll do' attitude before firing them out the door without even checking if they fit. This was certainly my own experience of dealing with BGH.

Buying a kit from the company I did has been, I think, one of the most regrettable decisions I've ever made. Will it be worth it in the end? No way! I'm sure I'll still be pleased when its done, but there's not a chance it's been worth all the frustration with poor fitting parts which were delivered months (sometimes years) late and the hassle of having to phone up week after week to be given the same excuses again and again.

Thankfully, there are kit suppliers out there who offer good quality, well engineered goods, and great customer service. I only wish I'd bought from one of them, and would encourage anyone thinking of starting a build to consider the supplier's reputation as the primary consideration when choosing a kit!

Dopdog

posted on 28/6/12 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
It is such a same to read this thread but it does seem that MK either do a wonderful job for some people or a complete bag of s**t for others. I do feel you as there is nothing worse than spending hard earned cash to find it was a waste of money. you then have to fix it yourself. send it back and get your money back off them.
slingshot2000

posted on 28/6/12 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I would still mention it too them cos if you don't this may not be the last post with one of these not fitting

I also really think you should contact them about this, the standard of welding is atrocious. If you don't let them know they will just carry on selling rubbish like this.

Regards
Jon

Toprivetguns

posted on 28/6/12 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twin40
quote:

cheers.

If you bought garden furniture from John Lewis and the weld on a chair meant it was wonky, you wouldn't make yourself a brand new chair. You would take it back !

You've paid for a product with your hard earned money and needless to say its unacceptable. Also why should you need to fit the engine first. All the parts you ordered should fit perfectly !

If anything ask for the equivalent money back.

Good luck with the car, its looking really good.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Simon

posted on 28/6/12 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
If that was made in a jig, then the jig is wrong, they'd have been better off making it in situ.

I'd sent it back, say that others have had similar probs. Substandard goods ain't clever.

ATB

Simon

vanepico

posted on 29/6/12 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
What my mum would call a friday afternoon item..... cause everyone's buggered off home!
pmc_3

posted on 29/6/12 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Even to my untrained eye the welding looks bad. They must have let a work experience lad build that one lol Send it back!
tomgregory2000

posted on 30/6/12 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
That welding is shocking
stevegough

posted on 30/6/12 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Fully agree with the welding comments - my welds looked like that when I was learning (they're not much better now!!) but that is VERY substandard. If you don't demand a refund, you want your bumps feeling! Start by sending MK those photos showing the welds and ask them why you shouldn't take it to the local trading standards office.

Even if it had lined up, and you had fitted it, I reckon the welds would fail in use. I don't think the IVA inspector would pass it, either.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

daniel mason

posted on 30/6/12 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
i hope the cradle is out,becausus handling er if its chassis which is not square your gonna have some serious handling issues

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.