Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cat B Write Off's...
scootz

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cat B Write Off's...

Saw this bike on eBay... it's been recorded as a Cat B loss and stripped of it's identity (meant to be for parts only).

Why Cat B though? That's normally reserved for flood-damage, or completely mangled machines.

The initial thought is RUN... QUICKLY, but there's a bargain track-toy to be had if it is indeed 'straight' and is just an over-zealous insurance classification! Does anyone know a bit about these things?

KTM RC8R RC8 R 2012 12 REG not DUCATI APRILIA MV AGUSTA HONDA | eBay

It's Evolution Baby!

matt_gsxr

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
"
Frame looks straight as well there are no dents not even 1 small mark on it. It has not been checked though so cannot guarantee.
"

I think that is e-bay for saying "I wish it weren't bent"

Ninehigh

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Why is it cat b if it got repaired? And how did it become cat b by falling over?

locoboy

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
We buy cat b's for a living

We have had cat b's that look like cat d's and vice versa, no real logic in it.

We feel that often what should in reality be a cat b is classified as a c or even a d as it opens up a much larger avenue of potential customers because to buy b's you need the relevant licenses and certificates. we pay a LOT of money every year to maintain out cat b license and it pees us off when these cars are classified as c or d and are on general sale to Joe public.

Our ex trackday subaru was a cat b that needed a wing and a headlight... doesn't make sense sometimes.

ATB
Locoboy

scootz

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Loco... very interesting! I nearly bought an Aston that had been flood damaged and Cat B'd. Beautiful condition, but who knows how the electrics and other components were affected by the water. That didn't put me off... what did was that there was no 'workably legal' way to get it back on the road after sorting it out!

It's Evolution Baby!

wylliezx9r

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
What I don't understand is why the numbers are removed. Does this include the engine numbers as well ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

scootz

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
What I don't understand is why the numbers are removed. Does this include the engine numbers as well ?

The chassis number is removed so that the car's identity is forever destroyed. I think the engine number stays on as it is allowed to be broken for parts.

It's Evolution Baby!

MikeRJ

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
You can get an unregistered 2010 bike for about £800 more. It will be the plain RC8 rather than the R, but for something thats new, uncrashed and road legal I think it's a much better bargain.

In fact looking at the price of low mileage RC8's I am damn tempted to flog the RSV and my SV and get one.

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/6/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Very often, if a bike is damaged to Cat C levels, but the rider died in the accident, it is allocated Cat B so the relatives will never see the bike back on the road, respect basically. i did several like this in my time as an assessor

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scootz

posted on 28/6/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
You can get an unregistered 2010 bike for about £800 more. It will be the plain RC8 rather than the R, but for something thats new, uncrashed and road legal I think it's a much better bargain.

In fact looking at the price of low mileage RC8's I am damn tempted to flog the RSV and my SV and get one.

But that 'R' is pretty damn trick Mike!!! Stunning looking machine!

I just had a chat with the seller (foreign, but couldn't place the accent) and he assures me he is a licensed breaker who bought the bike direct from the insurance company. Just a shame that they Cat B'd it...

Could you be cute and MSVA it (look for a Q Plate)?

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 28/6/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
He said he'd deal at £6.8k - about 30% less than the cheapest non-damaged 'R' (£10k and that's with 1500 miles).

I seem to have got the biking-bug back since my back improved! I'm a prime candidate to become a born-again biker calamity!

It's Evolution Baby!

iank

posted on 28/6/12 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Could you be cute and MSVA it (look for a Q Plate)?

Not sure, but I think you could in theory - IF the tester was happy that that was legal - I'd talk with VOSA before spending a penny on it.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

coyoteboy

posted on 28/6/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Very often, if a bike is damaged to Cat C levels, but the rider died in the accident, it is allocated Cat B so the relatives will never see the bike back on the road, respect basically. i did several like this in my time as an assessor

Sorry but that's just daft. Are we in a world of logic and sense or witchcraft and spirituality?

Not Anumber

posted on 28/6/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
sounds reasonable though. Its not all pounds and pence.
coyoteboy

posted on 28/6/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
It makes no odds whatsoever to the relatives in reality, they're so unlikely to ever see it again it's a waste of a viable item, it's a pointless exercise and yet another reason insurance costs are high. Why would anyone care if the car someone died driving was sold on again? What if we apply it to houses? knock them down too if someone dies in them? farcical.
Not Anumber

posted on 28/6/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
each to their own.
Mark Allanson

posted on 28/6/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
It isn't spiritualism, it is insurance company public relations policy. Imagine what a Daily Mail reporter could do with a story like "Grieving mother sees ghost of dead son on death bike"

For the difference in salvage value on a Cat C -B, is isn't worth the risk - it all comes down to money in the end.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

coyoteboy

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It isn't spiritualism, it is insurance company public relations policy. Imagine what a Daily Mail reporter could do with a story like "Grieving mother sees ghost of dead son on death bike" For the difference in salvage value on a Cat C -B, is isn't worth the risk - it all comes down to money in the end.

Who the hell reads the daily fail anyway?

scootz

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Who the hell reads the daily fail anyway?

Too feckin many!

It's Evolution Baby!

kevmcdo

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Openly advising the price of a new or second hand frame suggesting possible ringing of the bike???
It's an only too easy and common occurrence with bikes that have been down the road that are of high value, if it has been written off and you don't know the history of the write off run away and fight the temptation as there are plenty of good straight bikes out there that will satisfy the biking bug!!!

Peteff

posted on 28/6/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
A bargain track toy is a CBR600, GSXR or older R1, that is a blatant attempt to get as much back as possible for a bike that has been written off. If it just fell over why did he try to claim on it ? Fully HPI clear apart from cat B is a load of bull, that's about as far from HPI clear as you can get.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ashg

posted on 29/6/12 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
scootz i dont know your biking history but having rode my mates rc8r i can safely say they are absolutely frigging mental. in fact so much so my mate sold it 2 months later as he was convinced that he was going to kill himself on it.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

vanepico

posted on 29/6/12 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
How can the 'HPI be clear' if the chassis number doesn't exist anymore?
omega 24 v6

posted on 29/6/12 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the official line was that the car/bike could be broken for parts BUT the shell/identity HAD to be crushed/removed.
No 1 Sons corsa was a cat b and it'd made a good project for repair. Both air bags were off but a front panel/bonnet was all the body damage. They wouldn't let us buy it back as it was a B.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Neville Jones

posted on 29/6/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Put your own chassis plate on it, change the badges and some of the paint, and it's 'Amateur Built'.

Straight on the road via Motorcycle IVA and you're away!

Cheers,
Nev.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.