Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone got a Clarke CCO14 - Cut off saw from machine mart?
novacaine

posted on 29/6/12 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone got a Clarke CCO14 - Cut off saw from machine mart?

Thinking of buying one and would like some opinions on it before I splash out £140

how good is the clamp? is it easy to set the angles on it?

Cheers

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

fesycresy

posted on 29/6/12 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
There are Dewalt re-manufactured ones on ebay for £120 plus £7 carr.

Just ordered another one for work and they're new, never been used!

We've had a few Dewalt ones in work and they are good, taking a lot of abuse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Peteff

posted on 29/6/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a Screwfix version cut off saw for years and it looks just like all the others but a different colour. I welded a tab of metal to the top of the bolt that holds the clamp so it is like a wing bolt and doesn't need a spanner every time you change angle. I also elongated the curved slot so it does a bit more than 45° but if you want accuracy you need to use a protractor to mark your material.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

wilkingj

posted on 29/6/12 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I had one (abrasive drop / chop saw), a very good tool, but I found it VERY messy, it throws abrasive grit and metal dust all over the workshop. Something you dont want getting into parts like engines, bearings etc that are lying about the garage. Certainly an Eye and respitory protection job.

I sold mine and opted for a Band saw, which is not a huge difference in price. However, this makes as good or better cuts, is quieter, and leaves a neat pile of filings on the floor. You can also lubricate the blade with oil to extend the life etc.

I would not go back to the abrasive saw ever again.
If I had enough money, a cold metal bladed drop saw would be the choice, but they are expensive, and the replacement baldes arent cheap either.

Band saw has worked very well for me. IMHO certainly a better tool than an abrasive shop saw, purely on the Mess factor alone.

The only upside I can see of the Abrasive saw is that its fairly quick. The downsides far outweigh this small advantage.

Just my 2d's worth

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 29/6/12 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
If your not in a rush Lidl normally sell the same thing for about £60 about this time of year.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 29/6/12 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Peteff

posted on 29/6/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingjBand saw has worked very well for me. IMHO certainly a better tool than an abrasive shop saw, purely on the Mess factor alone.

The only upside I can see of the Abrasive saw is that its fairly quick. The downsides far outweigh this small advantage.

Just my 2d's worth

I've looked at bandsaws but they take up too much room and are not portable enough for me. I use my chop saw outside mostly so mess doesn't matter and if I don't force the disc and buy decent quality Inox discs it doesn't make much mess anyway. I was given some Machine Mart discs once for doing a job and they were atrocious out of balance and dust everywhere, I think there's still one untouched in the shed. All have their own niche, bandsaws are quieter but slow but they can be left unattended on a cut. Cold saws are the ultimate for bar but not so good on box section, Rage saws are very noisy and make big chips of metal, blades are a bit pricey, it all comes down to what the user wants to do and what they want to spend. I cut a load of thick wall steam pipe up for a job for my brother in law and used one £4 disc working nearly all day and I know if I'd used my friend's bandsaw it would have taken nearly all week.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

caber

posted on 29/6/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had an abrasive chop saw and it is messy and I found it very difficult to get accurate cuts. It was also not fun when the disk went bang! I would get an evolution rage saw, theses are a cheap version of a cold saw, much neater and less messy!

Caber

FuryRebuild

posted on 29/6/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be willing to sell my rage, still with the box. It's cut five things only.

Send me a message if you want to talk about it.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

splitrivet

posted on 30/6/12 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Got to agree with Pete re machine mart discs got one in my saw at the mo and its so far out of balance it scares the bejaysus out of me.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.