Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: www + email wanted
ReMan

posted on 3/7/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
www + email wanted

As you may know I've now got the MAC
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=171821

I'm (very slowly) migrating THINGS from my old PC to it.
But I'm also concious of not filling it with junk stuff yet.
However in the grand scheme of things and well overdue, I'd quite like to get myself my own WWW. and a more cooler, personal email address. This may be used in the future for a (very) small business, but that's a luxury point.
Anyway, any reccomendations for a co. that can provide this?
And that's not going to be too difficult as I'm getting on a bit now and can't cope
PS I'm going to keep a windows PC running, for the time being and am semi competant with windows so initial setup woul probably be done here not on the MAC
Cheers

Edit to read migrating Things, not everything

[Edited on 3/7/12 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

vanepico

posted on 3/7/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've got my own, paid like £12 for the domain for two years and a mate has unlimited hosting, you can get them a lot cheaper, like £5 for two years, hosting is where the money goes. I made the mistake of going with godaddy, and I can tell you they are like DFS, they are never without a sale to send you bloody annoying emails about!

www.vanepico.co.uk

Humbug

posted on 3/7/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have used http://order.1and1.co.uk/ for a numbr of years. Currently have domain names for each member of the family (initials + surname .co.uk) and associated emails. The domain names are £2.99 a year for .co.uk and about a tenner for .com. On top of that I pay about £1 a month for the email service (and you can have lots of email addresses @ each domain). I currently don't use the www service but my wife ran a small catering business and had 1&1 host it - from memory the basic package (8 pages that you could tailor using simple editing sofware) was about £30 a year.
vanepico

posted on 3/7/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and if you don't intent to have much traffic there are free hostings which are moderately slow but good enough if you don't want to pay annually.
ReMan

posted on 3/7/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
These are the sort of things I'm on about.
I=Having read a bit just there seems to be an issue as to whether the www is owned by the hoist or by yourself?
I presume this is important if yoiu fall out and want to move on?
Even £2.50/mth seems slightly more than locost, maybe? Just in case it's a whim not win

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

NeilP

posted on 3/7/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I use justhost.com. As said above it's the hosting that costs - I got 3 years for £108 and that comes with a lot of storage and a lot of emails. Wife is running three websites out of it and about 20 email addresses.

They've been pretty good.

p.s. I have domain registration separately just in case there is ever a problem with them. Most hosting companies will throw in free registration but it's only a few quid and if you ever have problems with hosting you can lift and shift to another provider and just alter the nameservers to suit. Simples

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

vanepico

posted on 3/7/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
On your host site you make an account with your domain as the name, then on the website you register the domain at, you enter the DNS ip address of the host site, it is fully transferable at any time.
ReMan

posted on 3/7/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
On your host site you make an account with your domain as the name, then on the website you register the domain at, you enter the DNS ip address of the host site, it is fully transferable at any time.

Phewee, you just lost me there!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Davey D

posted on 4/7/12 at 05:06 AM Reply With Quote
I've used a few companies through the years both for personal use, and for our company. For personal use the cheapest, and still easy way to do it is to buy your domain name for a few quid a year. I've found 123reg.co.uk to be good. Then create a gmail account for free, and forward all your mail to it.
vanepico

posted on 4/7/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico

Phewee, you just lost me there!

They should take you through it once you have registered

mads

posted on 4/7/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I always use www.orchardhosting.com and have recommended this to many a friend and family as well as several people on here. Really easy to do and you get a domain name i.e. www.whatyouwanthere.co.uk as well as being able to setup whatever you want as your email address e.g. myname@whatyouwanthere.co.uk

With the above it doesnt matter whether you are using a PC or mac as its mainly all done in a web browser.

If you need any help with it, feel free to drop me a U2U.

[Edited on 4/7/12 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

ReMan

posted on 4/7/12 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
I always use www.orchardhosting.com and have recommended this to many a friend and family as well as several people on here. Really easy to do and you get a domain name i.e. www.whatyouwanthere.co.uk as well as being able to setup whatever you want as your email address e.g. myname@whatyouwanthere.co.uk

With the above it doesnt matter whether you are using a PC or mac as its mainly all done in a web browser.

If you need any help with it, feel free to drop me a U2U.

[Edited on 4/7/12 by mads]
So looking at this I could get a domain registered for £4/Year and £2.50 a month hosts a website and my own email system,.
So i'd get www.mychosenname.co.uk and mychosenname@mychosenname.co.uk (or would that be mychosenname@orchardhosting.com?)

Or with 1and1 (apart from the current first year offer £2.50 an6 £5,99 meh?
PS thanks for the offer of help

[Edited on 5/7/12 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

mads

posted on 5/7/12 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
it would be: mychosenname@mychosenname.co.uk

just bear in mind that the prices listed need to have VAT added and you are better off paying it annually as some discount. A year's hosting will cost you £34.02 + £9.60 for 2yrs of domain (again, discount of £1 if you get 2yrs rather than one)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

MikeCapon

posted on 5/7/12 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Another thumbs up for Orchard Hosting. Mads recommended them to me when I was asking the same sort of questions as the OP (thanks Mads) and they have been first rate. They are not a huge company but the upside is that you often get to talk to Tom, the boss, who is red hot at answering all your questions and in my experience has been very helpful, even when it is obvious that I am (was?) a noob to the world of hosting etc.

My sites are here and cost me £28.50 a year for the hosting.

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mads

posted on 5/7/12 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
No probs Mike. Glad you find Tom and Orchard Hosting's service up to scratch. Got no affiliation with them, just been using them for past 9 years. They do help you out where they can - I wanted some extra space on my hosting for 3 weeks only and they sorted me out with some for no extra charge.

Humbug

posted on 5/7/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add, you can have your own domain name (www.mychosenname.co.uk) and email addresses (whatever@mychosenname.co.uk) without having have an actual website and put stuff on it (unless you want to).
ReMan

posted on 5/7/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Humbug, thats a good point
I'd like to do it all and do it once for now , but that may be a plan b

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.