Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wills
BobM

posted on 4/7/12 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Wills

Any locost advice about sorting out a will.

I really ought to sort it out seeing as I spend a lot of time on track at the same time as Austen

Not very Locost but very BEC

Stott

posted on 4/7/12 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just sign it all over to me, I'm not far away, I can collect.
Dick Axtell

posted on 4/7/12 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi BobM,

Have only recently done new wills. Advice comes in 2 basic versions.

Version 1:

If its to be a simple will, leaving everything to your wife/husband, or if he/she dies beforehand, to your children .........

then a simple will, 1 sheet of A4 can suffice. I can provide a suitable format.

Version 2:

If its not simple, for whatever reason, e.g. you are an unmarried couple, or you have children from a previous relationship, or if you have any reason to be uncertain about the construction of a will ......................

See a good solicitor. This is essential, because such a solicitor will have much greater knowledge of all the legal ramifications relating to those examples I referred to above.

For either version, you should also consider the question of property ownership. Is your house owned jointly, or in only 1 name? You should check out the possibility of changing from "Joint Tenancy" to "Tenants in Common". This last refers to the situation where each party agrees to ownership of shares in a given property.

Good luck.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

r1_pete

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just don't go to one of these 'We'll help write and manage your will for free', because in the small print they name themselves as executor, and charge a whopping %age when the time comes....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BobM

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
Version 1:

If its to be a simple will, leaving everything to your wife/husband, or if he/she dies beforehand, to your children .........

then a simple will, 1 sheet of A4 can suffice. I can provide a suitable format.

Yes, the above. Married, joint owners of house etc. no real complications. I suspect a simple template based jobbie would be adequate.

Not very Locost but very BEC

wicket

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
My wife and I had ours done for nothing by a solicitor in return for a donation in our wills to a charity, in our case Cancer Research UK. They don't seem to do it all the year round but we get solicitor adverts in the local press when they are offering this service. The charity pays for the will(s) being prepared.

[Edited on 4/7/12 by wicket]

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wicket
My wife and I had ours done for nothing by a solicitor in return for a donation in our wills to a charity, in our case Cancer Research UK. They don't seem to do it all the year round but we get solicitor adverts in the local press when they are offering this service. The charity pays for the will(s) being prepared.

[Edited on 4/7/12 by wicket]

ditto the same for us but even though we are married and no kids I found there were way more things to take into account than I expected, I thought I was just going to leave everything to the missus but that's just the beginning

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.