Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 fuel pump questions
mads

posted on 5/7/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
r1 fuel pump questions

Afternoon all,

Was going to mount the fuel pump today but came across a couple of problems/queries...

The bottom of the fuel tank appears to have M4 sized threaded holes but the holes on the fuel pump metal bracket seems to be better sized for M6 bolts. If I use M4 bolts will the bolts hold the pump well enough or should I look at rethreading the fuel tank holes?

fuel tank
fuel tank

fuel pump
fuel pump

Second question is about the fuel pump itself. It seems to be missing an arm to know how much fuel is left in the tank or does it measure this in some other way?

fuel pump 2
fuel pump 2

Also, anyone know what the metal nozzle is for on the bracket? Its a 07 R1 so has no fuel return.

Cheers,

mads

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

ko_racer

posted on 5/7/12 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think the stock bolts may be M5, but as long as the flange is still sealing m4 should be fine.

There are a few variants on the fuel pump as it's used on various bikes. The R1 only has a sensor to detect when the fuel is below a certain point, it doesn't have a linear level as such.
THink that 'nozzle' is the level sensor

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toprivetguns

posted on 5/7/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
The pump will be fine with M4 bolts. As long as they are tightened properly.

As for the pump, im sure it has a capacitance sensor that works out how much fuel is in the tank.

Ps

Just a quick question, how will your pump and tank seal ? do you have an o-ring or gasket ?

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

mads

posted on 5/7/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
Ps

Just a quick question, how will your pump and tank seal ? do you have an o-ring or gasket ?

There is a rubber ring that fits between the pump and the pump bracket, which seals it around the bottom of the tank too.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Toprivetguns

posted on 5/7/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ok cool, I wasn't just asking out of curiosity.

Good luck with the rest of the build !

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Davg

posted on 5/7/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
R1 pumps only have low level warning as Ko has already said. You will also prob find that the rubber ring won't seal properly. I have made & used gaskets for the pump to tank fot the cars that I have done.

rheers
D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BobM

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Are the threaded holes in the flange for the pump blind? If not you'll need to seal those, I think threadlock worked OK when I did mine.

Not very Locost but very BEC

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.