Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New slimmed down Army
mookaloid

posted on 6/7/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
New slimmed down Army

Apparently the entire new slimmed down British Army will all be able to go to Wembley stadium all at once and be able to sit down with room to spare

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

steve m

posted on 6/7/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Dont tell the Germans !
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 6/7/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
oh dear
theconrodkid

posted on 6/7/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
well maybe the politico,s will think twice about fighting someone elses war in a country none of us have ever heard of?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Dangle_kt

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
it more depends on if BP have any good leads in the area
aka_shortie

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Still plenty of seats left if the new slimmed down police force sit in a few of them seats.
RichieW

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Technology improves.

I am sure you can kill more of the enemy with fewer squaddies than you could 30 or 40 years ago.

It's a fact of life that you can do more with less these days. It's the same for every other business. Why should war be any different?

I heard on the radio this morning that UK defence spending is still 4th highest in the world. The reduction in numbers doesn't bother me.

Armed drones anybody?

JoelP

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
The uk's military threat is more about technology than how many troops we can get out there. We're never going to have American or Chinese reach, but we have enough to play an important role, especially with our allies. We do need more bridge building though, and less war mongering.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
The major problem is that we keep getting involved with wars that are none of our business...

...I think we should follow the Swedish example - a fearsome, well-equipped army (and navy and air force) that exists for the sole purpose of defending the home nation.

Chippy

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The major problem is that we keep getting involved with wars that are none of our business...

...I think we should follow the Swedish example - a fearsome, well-equipped army (and navy and air force) that exists for the sole purpose of defending the home nation.

Second that! Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

steve m

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
"The major problem is that we keep getting involved with wars that are none of our business... "

Im a + with that,

plus every day we see/hear in the news another British service man dies, in a conflict we have nothing to do with

When i was 16, i applied for the RAF, one , as it was a job for life, an secondley to defend my country

All means diddly squat now

thankfully, i failed the medical

Chippy

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
"The major problem is that we keep getting involved with wars that are none of our business... "
Im a + with that,
When i was 16, i applied for the RAF, one , as it was a job for life, an secondley to defend my country
All means diddly squat now
thankfully, i failed the medical

Unfortunately I didnt, but that was for NS, couldnt afford to live on NS pay so went in as a regular. Ho! Hum! Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

morcus

posted on 7/7/12 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
Same for me with the navy, failed a medical.

Just to play devils advocate for a bit, does Sweden have other countries currently making threats and claims to it's territories?

I personally think cutting the number of soldiers is probably a good thing as long as the men left aren't over worked.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

britishtrident

posted on 7/7/12 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
The problem is we spend stupid amounts on the Trident nuclear system, we could have nuclear capability by other means. So much of the the defence budget is spent on Trident that rest of all three armed forces are withering on the vine.
We need Trident nukes like a hole in the head, what we do need is unnamed drones, electronic warfare & maritime patrol aircraft, small aircraft carriers, transport aircraft and when needed enough squadies to put on the ground

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bobinspain

posted on 7/7/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The problem is we spend stupid amounts on the Trident nuclear system, we could have nuclear capability by other means. So much of the the defence budget is spent on Trident that rest of all three armed forces are withering on the vine.
We need Trident nukes like a hole in the head, what we do need is unnamed drones, electronic warfare & maritime patrol aircraft, small aircraft carriers, transport aircraft and when needed enough squadies to put on the ground

"Unnamed drones?"
"I think if you're a higher rate taxpayer, you should be able to write your name on the fookers". Al Murray Pub Landlord. My Gaff my Rules .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.