Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coolant overflow
Mike McKinstry

posted on 7/9/04 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Coolant overflow

After running when i switch off i am getting water backing up into expansion tank and out overflow-is this a sign rad is too small??rad is still full of water now-i had started running with expansion tank half full-yugo/fiat 127 rad and exp tank,Mike.
Temp guage reading half way

STILL considering swapping Pinto for 1.4 K-series for performance and taxation benefits .

rusty nuts

posted on 8/9/04 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Coolant temperature will rise after the engine is switched off due to pump not circulating water and no airflow through radiator , may be worth wiring electric cooling fan so that it cuts in independantly of ignition, [cuts in after engine switched off] hope this helps, Rusty
Mark Allanson

posted on 8/9/04 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Coolant temperature will rise after the engine is switched off due to pump not circulating water and no airflow through radiator , may be worth wiring electric cooling fan so that it cuts in independantly of ignition, [cuts in after engine switched off] hope this helps, Rusty

Most production cars have this, most of the high performance Audi's I have seen (I see quite a few!) have a small electric water pump wich cuts in after the engine has been switched off just to circulate the coolant. It has its own bypass pipe to avoid the thermostat

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mike McKinstry

posted on 10/9/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Crap!!!
Thanks for above-yes left spare wire in loom to put switch on fan and will do.On way home today though got burning sensation on ankle and youve guessed it coolant was spraying everywhere under bonnet out of the exp. tank overflow!!!!!!!!!More expletives!!
Why is this-temp guage only reading 3/4 up and not in red and using orig. temp sender-fan was cutting in although I suppose yugo thermstat in rad wont match sierra temp sender??
I have replaced sierra 14lb rad cap with 7lb-would this reduce boiling temp-and anyway shouldnt be near boiling-themostat appears to be working but cant be sure-help -ideas please,Mike.

STILL considering swapping Pinto for 1.4 K-series for performance and taxation benefits .

Mike McKinstry

posted on 10/9/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
p.s. expansion tank does not have a pressurised cap and probably sits level with top of rad ?M

rusty nuts

posted on 11/9/04 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
14 P.S.I cap should raise the boiling point to a higher temperature than a 7 P.S.I cap, may be worth checking for head gasket failure or get it tested by someone with a block tester kit, could possibly be a blocked rad if you used a s/h one/ airflow through rad restricted. Also may be possible to replace fan switch with a lower temp item, operating temp may be on side of switch, Hope this helps, Rusty P.S. as a last resort try water wetter, does what it says on bottle!!
zetec

posted on 11/9/04 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem, and as you did changed to higher presure can and all fine now. If you had an old cap fitted the spring might have been worn and running at less than indicated presure. On a slightly different note also found the thermostat tends to "wear" in time and not work as it should, mine was opening too early, changed and temp stays constant and warm up time a lot quicker.
Mike McKinstry

posted on 13/9/04 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
wondered if fact exp tank has no pressurised cap and water is coming out overflow if maybe overflow should be blocked off-rad is yugo with pressurised cap which could be pressuring coolant out only way??No,I suppose it shouldnt be that hot anyway and if it doesnt come out o/flow it would probably push through a gasket??M

Mike McKinstry

posted on 15/9/04 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Can someone clarify if my system should work or not-rad has pressurised cap but then my exp tank has not got a press cap and also has overflow on top of cap-could the fact my exp tank is not pressurized be depressurizing the system despite efforts of rad and hence causing overheat-

Also can someone please clarify part no of polo rad to fit mk indy -I can have max 460mm wide and 400mm high but have read on another thread the polo rad is 520 mm wide incl casing?

help-all taxed and not goin anywhere!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.