Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust repair - where to buy perforated pipe and wadding?
hobbsy

posted on 10/7/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust repair - where to buy perforated pipe and wadding?

As well as mashing up my sump (see separate thread) my exhaust also recently got a lot louder.

Removing it from the car I found that it rattles.

Taking it apart I discovered that it contained a CAT all along (I didn't build the car - was a factory build).

As the photo below shows the perforated pipe (mild steel) has disintegrated and I've lost a load of the (basalt?) wadding.

My plan it to bin the CAT (don't need it anyway and it's probably dead - also note that the side pod has got hot around it's location) and replace the entire length with perforated *stainless* pipe.

Is this the right way to go?

The perforated pipe near the tail pipe end was an interference fit and it appeared that the plain pipe ahead of the CAT was just butted up against the pipe before the can!

I assume perforated stainless pipe along the whole length and repack it with new wadding is the right way to go in terms of noise and performance? Or should there be a gap from the start of the can and the perforated pipe only go part of the way?

Where is the best place to buy the pipe and wadding? Seen 1m of 2" OD s/s perf pipe for about £20 inc post on eBay - not so sure on the wadding? Also ss it best to go for it loose or in roll form?

[Edited on 10/7/12 by hobbsy]

MikeRJ

posted on 10/7/12 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
My plan it to bin the CAT (don't need it anyway and it's probably dead - also note that the side pod has got hot around it's location)

The fact that the exhaust is showing signs of high temperature around the cat suggest it probably is working.

http://www.exhaustpartsuk.com was mentioned on this site very recently, they seem to have a good range of parts at a decent price.

hobbsy

posted on 10/7/12 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Or it is just acting as a restriction and getting hot? I know as part of the process heat is a by product but surely you could place something or a similar restrictive construction and you'd see similar results?

The problem is that it's a Fury with an enclosed side pod and so when the ambient temps are high and I'm giving it major stick on a couple of occasions I've seen smoke start to come from the pod (at that point I've jumped back in and gone for a drive to get air around it). I've already got the silver heat stuff lining it and about as many holes as it can have all along the front, bottom and rear. Hence I'm inclined to bin the CAT. It's an open loop set up (the wideband you can see is only for tuning / monitoring) so I reckon it's dead as the car runs on the rich side of things.

hobbsy

posted on 10/7/12 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link - as it happens they are fairly local to where the car is stored so may be able to save on postage.
b3ngy

posted on 11/7/12 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I got some exhaust wadding from

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com

Stickboy

posted on 11/7/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you wanted you could send the whole thing to us www.fastroadconversions.com and we could repair and repack for you and send back to you thats if you didnt want to do it yourself or we could supply the bits to repair. Also it looks like there is not enough thermal expansion in there hence with the high heat the perf has destroyed itself

[Edited on 11/7/12 by Stickboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.