Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Shimming for rear toe- how to?
James

posted on 12/7/12 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Shimming for rear toe- how to?

Not got an Indy but let's just say that my rear suspension is quite inspired by it! I realise the toe is only adjustable with shims between the Sierra hub and the upright.

I'm hoping to get the car 4-wheel aligned in the next week or so at a place near me.

They weren't that keen on helping with the rear toe setting so I'd like to make it as simple/efficient for them as possible.

What thickness shim = what degree of adjustment?

Thanks!

James

Edited for simplicity and common sense!

[Edited on 12/7/12 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

tegwin

posted on 12/7/12 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Washers are not ideal... the "norm" is to machine a disk of metal to precise angles so it fits perfectly into place....

You could take a load of thin shim metal with you and get them to play with it until its as close as they can get it..... then go home, remove the shims and measure them...then you can get the correct camber/toe wedges made up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Twin40

posted on 12/7/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a similar issue ( I think). Not sure what to tell the geometery guys when they do the chassis/suspension

I'm running the rose-jointed setup though, so i assume this gives me the ability to make toe/camber adjustments without the need for shimming? Anyone else running a similar setup?

Description
Description

renetom

posted on 12/7/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rear toe

Hi
We used 0.5mm Stainless steel rectangular pieces with 2 holes, as many as you need
Can't be that far out ?.
With a rotary laser its quite an easy job to do, we only needed 1 shim on our Indy .
UtU if you need any help.
René

mark chandler

posted on 12/7/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twin40
I've got a similar issue ( I think). Not sure what to tell the geometery guys when they do the chassis/suspension

I'm running the rose-jointed setup though, so i assume this gives me the ability to make toe/camber adjustments without the need for shimming? Anyone else running a similar setup?

Description
Description

Snap

OSR suspension + diff built
OSR suspension + diff built

You can adjust everything

procomp

posted on 12/7/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just remember that getting the tracking right is only half the game. You need to get the thrust line dialed in to within 2mm at the front axle line.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Custardpants

posted on 13/7/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I ended up using trig to work the thickness out - it ended up being a very small shim thickness (less than 1mm i think?). It isn't exactly difficult but more time consuming, and might cost a lot if they charge by the hour, definitely a good idea to make up some shims beforehand..

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.