Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Cap Tether
Dick Axtell

posted on 16/7/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Cap Tether

Searched for an earlier thread which seemed to cover this topic, and discovered this one -

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=169194.

Still mystified by that possible exclusion ".....or where the key cannot be removed without the filler cap being locked into closed position....." Since I specifically got a filler assy from Europa Spares, I thought that this one met the IVA requirements.

So, has anyone encountered testers who maintain that the cap has to be tethered in all cases?

(Early signs of pre-test panic???)

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

adithorp

posted on 16/7/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
The wording "...where the key cannot be removed without the filler cap being locked into closed position..." can be interpreted as the cap has to be locked on the filler neck before the key can be removed. Not just that the key can only be removed with the key turned to the lock position of the cap. The second may be what was intended but thats not the actual wording.

Having seen several kits drive off with the cap not fitted and almost doing it myself I fitted a tether to mine.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

parkiboy

posted on 16/7/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
ive just had an iva today and it was one of may minor failures, because the key could be removed when the cap was not locked to the vehicle.

Easy fix that i would have done there and then if it hadnt failed on the emissions.

Chippy

posted on 16/7/12 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I passed SVA with a cap that you could only get the key out when the cap was locked into the filler kneck, and it was never checked, so complete waste of money. Maybe a bit more strict now though. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Dick Axtell

posted on 17/7/12 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks to All for your comments. Reckon I'll cover this item using a simple tether chain/wire + T-bar.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.