Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Urgent Help required on Fog wiring
parkiboy

posted on 22/7/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Urgent Help required on Fog wiring

Hi, i have my IVA retest wednesday and i though this would be a very simple job but i have done it how i thought i should and it hadnt worked!

Basically i am using the sierra steering column, when the lights are on the foglight works fine but when i put my main beam on it cuts it out, Using the diagram below to explain what i have done to try and resolve this is took a wire from 56A from the diagram below (brown and yellow) to the fog light switch terminal with the lights and put in a one way diode in both the main beam and lighting cable to stop back feeding.

It has solved the problem with the fog light going off but there is now a buzzing noise when i put the main beam on or turn the lights off completely, coming from a relay i do believe so im guessing i have gone about this the wrong way, could someone tell me what i should have done so i can fix it please.

thanks

daviep

posted on 22/7/12 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
What were you trying to achieve?

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

loggyboy

posted on 22/7/12 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
The supply to the headlights will deactivate when main beam is applied as intended for a dual filament bulb.
Not sure what the solution is though!!

Mistral Motorsport

parkiboy

posted on 22/7/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
What were you trying to achieve?

Cheers
Davie

When the lights are on the fog works fine but when you put the main beam on it kills the power to the fog. For the iva ulterior fog light must work when the main bean is on aswell as the headlights

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 22/7/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Find a switched live (ignition), run that through a switch to a relay, then a fused battery live to the fog light, job done.

a very quick and very dirty dia that explains it, the fog switch supplies a live that is turned off with the ignition so you cant leave the fog light on, and the relay coil is energized by the switch which then supplies fused battery live to the fog light

[Edited on 22/7/2012 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

parkiboy

posted on 22/7/12 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Doesnt that mean the fog will work even if the lights aren't on though? Thought it should only come on when the lights are on and would fail otherwise?
coozer

posted on 22/7/12 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Theres 2 relays, one is switched live by the sidelights and the other is a crossover for the dip/main.

Best to find the find the first relay and wire the fog up to the switched live that goes to the dim dip switch.

Or, if the IVA allows it to be on with the sidelights, wire it up to the grey switched wire from there.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 22/7/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by parkiboy
Doesnt that mean the fog will work even if the lights aren't on though? Thought it should only come on when the lights are on and would fail otherwise?

If that's the case, take the live you need (as has been said) from the live feed from the lights instead of an ignition live.

If your switches are a wiring different layout (from below), use a test lamp and get hunting for the live that comes on when you put the lights on,side lights "should" be ok as i "think" they are to stay on even when dip/main is kicked on.

[Edited on 22/7/2012 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

parkiboy

posted on 22/7/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I understand that I just can't get my head round where I need to take the switch live from as it needs to work both when the headlights and main beam are on which use to different switch lives?
parkiboy

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
panic over the problem was i took the live from the stalk and not from 87 output of the main beam relay. Got a feed from both the main beam and dipped beam now both with diodes in them and works a treat.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.