Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hayabusa sump options ???
Relph

posted on 24/7/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hayabusa sump options ???

Hi guys, what sump are you guys running ?
Standard sump with baffle, billet sump, billet sump with swinging pick up, dry sump system.
Not sure what to go for and the pros and cons of them ?
Cheers

[Edited on 24/7/12 by Relph]

Twin40

posted on 24/7/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I was in a similar situation myself, really depends on what you intend to use the car for - 'spirited' road driving a swing/billet sump should suffice, when you start adding sticky tyres or track days into the equation then dry sump would be prefferred.
Jon Ison

posted on 24/7/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Shortened baffled sump, accusump no problems encountered current engine been thrashed to within an inch of it's life for four years now.
Relph

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, whats the difference between a dry sump and an accusump ?
Cheers.

ReMan

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Relph
Hi, whats the difference between a dry sump and an accusump ?
Cheers.

£2000?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Relph

posted on 28/7/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
So im thinking a billet sump with swinging pick up and an accusump should do me for spirited driving and the odd track day ?
eddie99

posted on 29/7/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Depends how good billet sump, if its as good as the 1ltr bike engines that are around, then no need for accusump unless your on slicks/downforce. Stick with just billet sump + swinging pickup.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Custardpants

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I ran an accusump and didn't like it at all. It took oil away from the engine at high rpm, and I had to rev the engine to 6k to reprime the accusump before turning the engine off. I wish I'd just gone straight for a Dry sump or just picked another engine.

In my hindsight I'd either go for just a holeshot swinging pickup/billet pan with money in the bank for a rebuild, or go for the dry sump route.

Jon Ison

posted on 30/7/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Custardpants
I ran an accusump and didn't like it at all. It took oil away from the engine at high rpm, and I had to rev the engine to 6k to reprime the accusump before turning the engine off.

I understand you may have to rev the engine to prime it but how can it take oil away from the engine at high revs, or any revs for that matter ?

parkiboy

posted on 31/7/12 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
My car is using a holeshot billet sump with Swinging pickup and seems to cope well on the road but yet to get her on a track
Custardpants

posted on 31/7/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
quote:
Originally posted by Custardpants
I ran an accusump and didn't like it at all. It took oil away from the engine at high rpm, and I had to rev the engine to 6k to reprime the accusump before turning the engine off.

I understand you may have to rev the engine to prime it but how can it take oil away from the engine at high revs, or any revs for that matter ?

When the engine is at higher rpm, the increase in oil pressure pushes the accusump piston back, reducing the level of oil in the engine. In reality it's not that big a deal, as a drop in oil pressure in the engine will result in an oil injection from the accu, but I just hate the concept of having a completely varying amount of oil in the engine depending on rpm. An accu won't also really work at idle under heavy braking as it won't be primed.

Nick DV

posted on 31/7/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
An accu won't also really work at idle under heavy braking as it won't be primed.

Have to disagree. Have a read of the following, it may help.

http://www.accusump.com/accusump_tech.html#whatis

http://www.accusump.com/accusump.pdf/instructions.pdf

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

Custardpants

posted on 31/7/12 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick DV
quote:
An accu won't also really work at idle under heavy braking as it won't be primed.

Have to disagree. Have a read of the following, it may help.

http://www.accusump.com/accusump_tech.html#whatis

http://www.accusump.com/accusump.pdf/instructions.pdf

Cheers, Nick

By all means elaborate Nick - the busa engine runs very low pressure at idle without an uprated OPG. The accusump doesn't know the difference so will have already injected its store of oil into the engine when it drops to idle. I only ran one in a busa for a year so that's based on my limited experience-it would be Interesting to see what an engine builder/racer has to say, rather than just "read the instructions!" .

Jon Ison

posted on 31/7/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have run one on my busa for four years, it's simple I switch it off during my cool down lap thus it sits there charged ready to pre oil the engine upon the next start up. To say it will discharge under braking is a bit miss informed, unless of course you put your foot on the clutch and keep it there during all the down shifts then pull to the side of the track let it tick over for 15 seconds before you accelerate away, very rarely see the revs drop below 6000rpm downshifting on track myself, if they do I've made a mistake.

I do on average 8 track days per year, as others will testify when I do a track day it's nothing unusual for me to do up to 2 hour long sessions at a time (see current Blyton thread) never had a sniff of trouble and this is on a STD 1999 engine that as been in the car 4 years, it's well maintained but well abused.

For the record personally I wouldn't consider a swinging pick up, there designed for straight-line drag racing, if they turned 360 degrees then maybe but they don't and in the right (or wrong maybe) corner situation they can be caught and stuck away from the oil rather than swinging to where the oil is.

Imho the accusump is fine installed correctly and used as its designed to be used.

Relph

posted on 31/7/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys for your replys and messages you given me alot to think about.

Hi Jon, think my dad and me chatted to you on sunday at blyton track day about your shortened sump and accusump, your car was going and sounding sweet mate.

Jon Ison

posted on 31/7/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Remember the conversation well, small world ?

You saw the car on track, wasn't exactly tip toeing around, absolutely no oiling problems, would recommend the electric set up I have though, think we discussed it ?

Basically the accusump does not relaese any pressurised oil until the engine oil pressure drops below 30psi, this means the oil level is not constantly fluctuating as suggested above (to be fair with a manual valve it would) as for the sump Martin of MK engineering did it for me, it's not just shortened it also has internal baffles around the oil pickup, he welded a boss on for we to tap for oil temp sensor.

Nick DV

posted on 1/8/12 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
By all means elaborate Nick - the busa engine runs very low pressure at idle without an uprated OPG. The accusump doesn't know the difference so will have already injected its store of oil into the engine when it drops to idle. I only ran one in a busa for a year so that's based on my limited experience-it would be Interesting to see what an engine builder/racer has to say, rather than just "read the instructions!" .

Hi C/Pants,

Only put the instructions on here for others to reference in order to help, not because I just "read the instructions"!

Jon says it all really, but my answer would be the same, I do not know why even on braking and downshifting your engine would drop to idle - unless you kept the clutch disengaged.

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.