Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: plumbing question
dan8400

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
OT: plumbing question

My hot water pressure is crap (took 18 seconds to fill a 1 litre jug). I have a hot water cylinder feed by cold water header tank. I could put the tank into the roof to help the head height above the taps. The loft hatch, however, is tiny. I would have to bash a hole in the ceiling to get the cold tank up there.

So, my question is, can I feed the copper cylinder from the mains pressure cold water instead of major work to get the tank up high?

I know I could fit a pump but this would involve an electrician etc and more cost

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

JoelP

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
NO!

And i mean hell no!

Could you not find a small header tank that would fit through your loft hatch? Volume isnt too important.

Or get a combi boiler fitted.

[Edited on 30/7/12 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

dan8400

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Excuse my ignorance. But why not? Obviously I wont do it if you say not to. But I am curious as to what might happen?

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

mookaloid

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan8400

So, my question is, can I feed the copper cylinder from the mains pressure cold water instead of major work to get the tank up high?

could be quite spectacular

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Wadders

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Uprating the cold feed from 22 to 28 between tank and cylinder will help, also check you don't have a partial blockage
while you're at it. If all else fails, providing you have decent incoming mains pressure fit an unvented cylinder and bin the feed tank.

Al.

JoelP

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
A normal hot tank cannot take the pressure, it would burst and spray hot water everywhere. Al's suggestion of an unvented tank is one option, i guess you need to weigh up costs etc.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Wadders

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just remembered, Polytank used to do "coffin tanks" specifically designed to fit through small loft hatches
you can also link two tanks together to get the required volume. If no pumped showers are involved and assuming
a regular sized 117 litre cylinder, you will need a minimum of 25 gallons in the loft. Approx 125 litres.

Al.

dan8400

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Can I fit some kind of on demand pump. In-line. After the cylinder?

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dan8400

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Just remembered, Polytank used to do "coffin tanks" specifically designed to fit through small loft hatches
you can also link two tanks together to get the required volume. If no pumped showers are involved and assuming
a regular sized 117 litre cylinder, you will need a minimum of 25 gallons in the loft. Approx 125 litres.

Al.

no power showers or pumps fitted in the system. The shower is fed from cold - mains only

Hey - That's Journey!!!

tegwin

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
You could fit a pump after the hot water tank... you would need a hot and cold feed at the same pressure (so hot from cylinder, cold from header tank).... Pumps are noisy though!

If you can, I would look at getting a few small tanks up as high as you can in the loft and join them together. (that being the cheapest option)

If you do go down the route of fitting a pump to help with showers you need to be really really careful how the pipework is laid out to avoid getting air in the pump.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

dan8400

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I don't need to pump hot water for the shower. I just need to increase water pressure to the taps

Hey - That's Journey!!!

paulf

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Stuart turner 3 bar pump for this exact purpose a couple of years ago and never fitted it , it has a flow sensor that turns it on automatically when water flow is detected .It is complete with flexi hoses to connect into the system with and then just requires wiring into a 13 amp supply via an RCD.
If you decide to fit a pump then let me know as i need to get rid of it and would sell it at a good price.
Paul

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Quote: The loft hatch, however, is tiny.

Out of interest, what size is "tiny"?

I presume it's big enough to climb through.

Paul G

Macbeast

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
It wpuld seem the simplest solution would be to bash a hole in the ceiling. Why complicate matters with pumps etc ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Wadders

posted on 30/7/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Agree, fitting a pump is attacking the problem from the wrong end, and will most likely lead to other problems
cavitation, and mismatched outlet pressures etc.
By the time you have laid out for a pump and a warix flange, and a sparky to fit a fused spur/RCD you might as well just do the job properly.
Nothing wrong with gravity if it's done right.

Al.

]Originally posted by Macbeast
It wpuld seem the simplest solution would be to bash a hole in the ceiling. Why complicate matters with pumps etc ?

dan8400

posted on 31/7/12 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Quote: The loft hatch, however, is tiny.

Out of interest, what size is "tiny"?

I presume it's big enough to climb through.

Paul G

About 14" x 20"

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dan8400

posted on 31/7/12 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I bought a Stuart turner 3 bar pump for this exact purpose a couple of years ago and never fitted it , it has a flow sensor that turns it on automatically when water flow is detected .It is complete with flexi hoses to connect into the system with and then just requires wiring into a 13 amp supply via an RCD.
If you decide to fit a pump then let me know as i need to get rid of it and would sell it at a good price.
Paul

Sounds good Paul

How much are you looking for? I have placed a bid on ebay on a pump. Not guaranteed to win it.

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Slimy38

posted on 31/7/12 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
I know it's the most expensive option, but I'd actually look at fitting the aforementioned combi boiler. In fact, the plumbers on here might be able to confirm it but with a combi boiler running costs being lower than the traditional copper kettle, you might actually break even after a few years?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.