Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Manky Diesel Engines
scootz

posted on 1/8/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Manky Diesel Engines

I've never fiddled with a diesel lump before, but I decided to replace the leaky rocker cover gasket on my LR TD4 engine myself... and what a bloody faff it is! Seems that EVERYTHING is attached to the rocker!

Anyway, I decided that I may as well remove the EGR and change the PCV at the same time and boy am I glad I did! Both were absolutely clogged with black goo! Amazes me that it was still able to breathe!

So I've been cleaning all the sh*te off various pipes and ports and my hands are black (yes, should have worn gloves!). Thing is, my mitts are now red raw with swarfega and nail-brush actions and I've hardly scratched the oil-slick that's covering them!

What the hell makes a diesel so bloomin manky!?

It's Evolution Baby!

matty h

posted on 1/8/12 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
It is a mixture of the soot and oil from the breather mixing which makes a nice black mess.
Removing the egr will help alot as this is putting c**p back into the engine.
Matty

kevmcdo

posted on 1/8/12 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Now the egr is off do the decent thing and blank it off, your engine will thank you and you will enjoy the drive so much more
mookaloid

posted on 1/8/12 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I hate working on diesels - it's the smell of the diesel - it just clings to you and its not a pleasant smell like petrol

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

scootz

posted on 1/8/12 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've replaced the EGR with a 'blank'.

I think the missus will be making me wear gloves in the house when she comes home! I'm filthy!

It's Evolution Baby!

jossey

posted on 1/8/12 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean I had to drill my dpf filter and I looked like a chimney sweep when I'd done. Lol

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 1/8/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
That's what you get for running on oil!

I'm tempted to try cleaning if not removing the EGR from our Alhambra TDI just to see what difference it makes. That temptation always seems to wain the closer I actually get to the bonnet of the car though

GeoffT

posted on 1/8/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Got fed up with the EGR playing up on my Kangoo so eventually just disconnected the thing, this sorted all the running issues.

Trouble was the engine management light was then permanently on - soon to be an MOT issue I think, if not already.

Have now reconnected it but have spaced the solenoid part away from the valve itself - this fools the ecu but doesn't actually operate the valve, so (at the moment) all is working well.....

The Shootist

posted on 1/8/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Intake may be coked...

You may want to pull the intake manifold and de-coke it. The soot builds up and will eventually strangle the engine to the point it can't breath.

I have a 2000 VW I just bought and it still has factory EGR @ 250k miles. I can see enough through the EGR port to know that that is reason it smells like raw fuel when idling.

coozer

posted on 1/8/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
And don't forget diesel migrates through the skin into your blood stream and NEVER breaks down.. enough of this = death...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

scootz

posted on 1/8/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Shootist
You may want to pull the intake manifold and de-coke it. The soot builds up and will eventually strangle the engine to the point it can't breath.

That's how my hands, arms, face and t-shirt became black! Cleaning out the pipes!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 1/8/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
And don't forget diesel migrates through the skin into your blood stream and NEVER breaks down.. enough of this = death...

I fart in the general direction of death!

It's Evolution Baby!

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 1/8/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
What the hell makes a diesel so bloomin manky!?

viola

diesel mank

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.