Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuming with the dvla
parkiboy

posted on 2/8/12 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Fuming with the dvla

Well I took my application into the dvla office last Thursday and got a letter today saying I have to go in for an inspection on the 16th August which is 3 weeks after I took the paperwork in so I really was not impressed after the long iva process!

I got on the phone to them and asked why it's taking so long and they said its due to the high number of inspections they have to do, which I proceeding by asking how long it take.. 10 minutes! Your having a laugh they could get over 50 done in a day and I tell you now they won't do anything near that! I asked why it needs to come in and they said to prove its a full car and not part built.. Well doesn't my iva very prove that?

She then told me I can't legally drive the vehicle there like in the iva, so I now need to mess around hiring a trailer again!! My appointment is at 10.55 which means another full day off work for a stupid 10 minute appointment and have to pay to hire a trailer again!!

The whole process is wearing thin now, summers going to be about over before it's even sorted, I actually regret buying my car now I wish I bought one pre complete and registered.

Rant over.

loggyboy

posted on 2/8/12 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just book it in for an MoT near by based on the VIN, then drive there.

Mistral Motorsport

russbost

posted on 2/8/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have it in writing from the DVLA that you can drive there & back for the purpose of the test (you obviously need insurance cover, but no plates)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ReMan

posted on 2/8/12 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I have it in writing from the DVLA that you can drive there & back for the purpose of the test (you obviously need insurance cover, but no plates)

IVA test or DVLA Inspection?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

parkiboy

posted on 2/8/12 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm insured but she said I couldn't because although you can drive it without to the iva anything other than that it is illegal, which is annoying as I have pre paid my tax already starting august

deezee

posted on 2/8/12 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, thats how the DVLA works. Most offices insist on an inspection. Its just part and parcel of building a kit car. You're lucky your not in Chester as they don't inspect there, you have to go to Wrexham for your 10 minute inspection. I literally took off my tarp that was on the trailer, showed him the car. He took a brief look at it and filled in the form. I put the tarp back over it. That was it! Then I had to go the office the next day to collect my V948. It cost me a pretty penny to hire a trailer, day off work and to hire a van with a tow hitch.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
DO NOT get an MOT, unless you want to have it every year from then on!

See my previous thread

Once it's in the MOT system then that's it.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

james h

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I pleaded ignorance with them after I drove my car there - I said I assumed it would be fine as I could drive it to the SVA (although I 'may' have known better).

They told me I shouldn't have, but they let me drive it back home again after the 10 min inspection!

Davey D

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
When i took my car to Lincoln DVLA for inspection, the woman i dealt with told me that i could drive it there as long as i had insurance. I told her that i understood that i wasn't allowed to drive it there, but she insisted i was allowed. She took a photocopy of all my paperwork, including insurance cert, then wrote me out a signed letter, on DVLA headed paper so that if i got pulled on the the way there i had some documentation to prove what was going on
unijacko67

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
On the subject of DVLA, would doing an engine change with engineers report flag up any inspections. The car was a 750cc and I intend popping in the 2000cc then sending of the log book for engine number an cc change. The log book is currently in my name. Thanks in advance.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
DO NOT get an MOT, unless you want to have it every year from then on!

See my previous thread

Once it's in the MOT system then that's it.

I never said to take it for an MoT, i said BOOK it in for an MoT. You dont have to go there, it just means IF the police did stop you, there would be a legitmate reason for being on the road.

Mistral Motorsport

russbost

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
The situation re driving to DVLA for inspection has changed, on all my recent inspections there is a line at the end of the letter which states "the vehicle may be driven to & from the test centre for the purposes of the inspection" this is quite definitely for DVLA inspection, not just IVA. I or my colleague have been stopped 3 times by the BIB now for no no. plates, as soon as you show them the letter they are fine, but they don't know about it.

Last little gem from the one who stopped me earlier this week after I showed him the letter "but it doesn't say on here you don't have to have registration plates" - well no, but how else do you drive to & from a place of inspection when you've not yet been given a reg??? Doh!

This is definitely the case at Chelmsford, it obviously SHOULD be the same throughout the country ..........................

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I never said to take it for an MoT, i said BOOK it in for an MoT. You dont have to go there, it just means IF the police did stop you, there would be a legitmate reason for being on the road.

I stand corrected, good point

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/8/12 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Last little gem from the one who stopped me earlier this week after I showed him the letter "but it doesn't say on here you don't have to have registration plates" - well no, but how else do you drive to & from a place of inspection when you've not yet been given a reg??? Doh!

They don't call then 'Wooden Tops' for nothing Russ.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

ReMan

posted on 2/8/12 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The situation re driving to DVLA for inspection has changed, on all my recent inspections there is a line at the end of the letter which states "the vehicle may be driven to & from the test centre for the purposes of the inspection" this is quite definitely for DVLA inspection, not just IVA. I or my colleague have been stopped 3 times by the BIB now for no no. plates, as soon as you show them the letter they are fine, but they don't know about it.

This is definitely the case at Chelmsford, it obviously SHOULD be the same throughout the country ..........................
That's a good update then Russ.
And of course if it's legal, its good for the whole UK

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

R1 STRIKER

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Seems it may have changed since I last registered one. When I did mine, it HAD to be trailored or they wouldn't look at it. And just to top it off, I also had to unload it to check chassis number for health and safety reasons! I doubt it took him 2 mins to check! That was in worcester.
rusty nuts

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Its about time that DVLA made up their minds as to whether or not it is legal to drive to a pre arranged inspection or they took the word of a VOSA inspector . Perhaps we should start to lobby our local MPs to try and get DVLA to get their act together? Some hopes !!
nearly done

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I faced a similar situation last year where I was told I needed to present the car to the DVLA. Unfortunately for them they caught me on a bad day and were on the end of a full blown rant along the lines of " why would they not take the word of a fellow government employee (the IVA inspector) for proof that the car was indeed the same one I was attempting to register". Try pointing out that the government buzz word is interdepartmental co operation resulting in less red tape and duplication of roles. Worked for me.

Good luck, Sean.

dan8400

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
When i took my car to Lincoln DVLA for inspection, the woman i dealt with told me that i could drive it there as long as i had insurance. I told her that i understood that i wasn't allowed to drive it there, but she insisted i was allowed. She took a photocopy of all my paperwork, including insurance cert, then wrote me out a signed letter, on DVLA headed paper so that if i got pulled on the the way there i had some documentation to prove what was going on

Same for me. I dealt with a woman in Lincoln and I drove there. 2009 and I was one of, if not the last, SVA test. I drove there with insurance. Was followed by a copper on the way home and I was sure I would be pulled but wasn't. They overtook laughing cos it was raining! lol

Thanks
Dan

[Edited on 2/8/12 by dan8400]

Hey - That's Journey!!!

stevegough

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I feel for you - it really is a pain - especially when people like me were told by the DVLA (Preston) that they didn't need to inspect it! Having said that, I know the vast majority of builders have had to have theirs inspected - guess I was just lucky (oh, yes, and from submitting the paperwork to getting the car on the road was just a week).

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

mad4x4

posted on 3/8/12 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
When I had mine SVA'd about 5 years ago the DVLA came to the SVA center and did it in a one'r...

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

pif

posted on 3/8/12 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
when I had mine "inspected", which was 5 years ago, I booked in at manchester DVLA who said they would need to see it, I said I couldnt bring it, "its not legal to drive on the road". Too which they suggested re book with another test centre who do inspections at home as the Manchester office didnt.

In the end I sent request to Sheffield, who do home inspections, and the guy came from the Manchester office. What a joke.

I wasnt home but the SWMBO said he just opened the garage door, never put a foot inside and closed the door again and said " looks like a car to me"

I would suggest ringing Swansea, ask them about parking it when you go for the inspection, thats what I did as there is no parking at Manchester office.

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

parkiboy

posted on 3/8/12 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Sheffield is where I have gone they no longer do home inspections - I have made a complaint to head office and just waiting for a reply now. It probably won't get my anywhere but it's worth a shot right?

From what I've heard this inspection is a joke and a waste of time

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.