Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Loom..how hard?
Rob55

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Loom..how hard?

Hi all

I'm building a 929 blade engined Westfield. I have the full wiring loom out of the bike along with the ECU, HISS, rectifier, tilt sensor etc. I plan to have a loom for the engine only and a separate loom for all the other electronics such as lights etc.

I have 2 options - either buy the Westfield loom and modify it or build a custom loom from scratch. I like the idea of building a custom loom for 2 reasons - I will know my way around it and there will be no dead wires. But, I am worried it would be a bit of a headache to get right, it's not something I have tackled before and it would be a bit of a learning curve for me.

Has anyone else done it before that could offer their advice? Or is it really a job for a spark?

Rob

loggyboy

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
No reason why you cant know your way around a pre bult loom, as it still will need installing and connecting etc.
If you do start from scratch it will be expensive due to wanting alot of lengths of different colour cable and probably wont save you huge amount on a pre made one.
How much is the W/field one, and how 'made' is it?

Mistral Motorsport

sdh2903

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I was in the exact same situation, Bec engine loom and separate car loom. I ended up buying a universal loom. I wish I had made my own. I ended up stripping the loom to bits and removing half of it as i didnt require it. It would have been easier/less time consuming and probably a bit neater to make my own.

If you want it locost get a full car loom from a scrappy and use the wires from that. There is a pretty good guide kicking around in the electrics section somewhere.

Rob55

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
No reason why you cant know your way around a pre bult loom, as it still will need installing and connecting etc.
If you do start from scratch it will be expensive due to wanting alot of lengths of different colour cable and probably wont save you huge amount on a pre made one.
How much is the W/field one, and how 'made' is it?

Westy one is pretty much fully made BUT not for my engine (it's for the older carb engine, mine is FI), and as far as I know they have it all as one rather than 2 separate looms. It also means if I deviate from the standard setup regarding lights, instruments etc, it will need further hacking to make it work. Cost is £240!

sdh2903

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Here it is:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/5/viewthread.php?tid=169470

Rob55

posted on 15/8/12 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Here it is:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/5/viewthread.php?tid=169470

Great, some bed time reading lol, thanks!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/8/12 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I umm'd and r'd for ages then decided to build my own loom. I designed the circuit diagram based on lots of input from threads on here and elsewhere, then set to making the loom. At first it seemed daunting, but as long as you treat each part seperately and check the operation as you go along it is not too bad.

Just be methodical, check each circuit before adding the next etc. And above all, BE PATIENT! If it all gets too much, walk away have a drink (of whatever takes your fancy) then return later with a fresh mind.

As you said, building your own does give you an intimate knowledge of the wiring which is a god send when something needs attention.

With regards to the cost, there are plenty of places that sell wire by custom length, and to be honest you do not need as much as you'd think.

HTH

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

twybrow

posted on 15/8/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
another thread on the subject from a few weeks back...
chrsgrain

posted on 15/8/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Not hard at all, I bought one for my first build, and wished I hadn't, needed lots of work. For this build (a TR4a restoration) I've made a loom myself, complete with proper electronic ignition, halogen lights etc. Not difficult, just have to be careful.

Get a decent set of wire cutters and crimpers, work out what wire you need in advance and order it from someone like vehicle wiring products http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

Enjoy!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
do use self amalgamating tape rather than insulation tape as it will be a lot more flexible, cleaner and waterproof, reusable tie wraps can be used to hold it together till it’s ready to be covered
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 15/8/12 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
i used 2 looms in my car. The standard bike loom from the R1, but i stripped out everything from it that i didnt need, like the lights, and fans etc. i then used a separate loom for all of my lighting, and everything else.

i think this is a better idea, as if you ever decide to change your engine in the future for something different , then it will be very easy to remove the bike loom leaving all the lighting in place

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/8/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to add, my advice is to make a circuit diagram. 12 months from now if you have any electrical issues you'll wish you had

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.